Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
Almost like the opposition coaches want the ball in his hand

Clarkson would never let Mal get the numbers Lloyd gets , always had Sheil to him.

Shows the quality of HB

Move him to the wing ASAP

Who would you have replacing him off the half back line? We have moved Jones to the midfield, preferably we would like to move Mills to the midfield to assist with our inside ball. Our options with be Thurlow (Who hasn't looked great so far) and COR who probably isn't quite ready yet and neither have a safe kick out of defense.

Who would you have replacing him off the half back line? We have moved Jones to the midfield, preferably we would like to move Mills to the midfield to assist with our inside ball. Our options with be Thurlow (Who hasn't looked great so far) and COR who probably isn't quite ready yet and neither have a safe kick out of defense.
That’s the problem no one

List is shocking

That’s the problem no one

List is shocking

I am not convinced our list is as shocking as some people make it out to be, we actually have some nice young players come through.

Key
McCartin
Blakey
Aliir
Melican (Think he will come good, but needs form)

Mixed Mid
Heeney
Mills
Jones

Outside Mid
Florent

Inside Mid
Hewitt (If he ever loses the tagging role)

Fwd Med
Hayward

Fwd Sml
Ronke
Papley
Hewitt

Def Sml
COR (I like COR, but think he needs extended time in the team).

Unknown
Dawson (I think should be Mid, but may be a utility type)
Ling (Would be an ideal fit on the half back flank, but has been injured for a very long period)

We do have a lack of Half back options with elite kicks (Outside of Ling), but if we were to look at it objectively how many teams in the league have players similar to Malceski coming off the half back flank? If there was a guaranteed Malceski type option in the draft they would comfortably go top 5.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cunningham being tried in defense, he isn't the worst option one on one and he has footskills and speed.

Zone Melican back. Have Aliir or Reid follow them up the ground... ?

Issue is that would allow most teams to manipulate the match up. Longmire usually prefers to keep players dedicated to a certain match up most of the time, its the reason why Aliir has been getting dragged back to the goal square this year.

Worst of all would be a team like Colllingwood or Richmond isolating a De Goey or Martin deep on Melican and burning him for speed.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Almost like the opposition coaches want the ball in his hand

Clarkson would never let Mal get the numbers Lloyd gets , always had Sheil to him.

Shows the quality of HB

Move him to the wing ASAP
He was poor last night but amazingly, once in the vicinity of the wing, his F50 was spot on! Go figure.

He has been the same this year.

I don't think he's been the same. He looks much more uncertain and less confident this year than in previous years. Say what you like about Lloyd and his ineffective disposals and such, but one thing he could never be faulted on was being a composed, level head. Not the case this year. I think playing in a back six that is under such enormous pressure is doing him no favours.

I think the fact he is still not on a wing is a massive indictment on Horse.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I see why Longmire wants to keep him there at HB given we're trying to play a high possession, uncontested mark corridor heavy game and Lloyd on paper seems like he'd aid our transition out of defence. But to me it's just patently not working out that way. His kicking isn't penetrating enough to break open play or hit targets at distance and he's not quite quick enough to overlap heavily. And the opposition don't care that he wins 30 touches a week. That's the biggest thing to me, they allow it to happen because they're ok with it.

I'd love to see him on a wing so he can utilise his great running and accurate shorter distance kicking going inside 50. I'd be happy to let Dawson take up a HB spot to allow it. Athletic, booming kick and a good mark - ideal attributes to help free up Lloyd with.

worst best and fairest winner i can remember and thats not that bad, talking good players, but he has no impact, teams push him back one on one and he can't/wont kick long anymore

id like to see a move to the middle, he looks lost

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I thought he was alright today, not great but not terrible. I'd love to see him up on a wing but I doubt it'll happen given how young the defence is and with Aliir not back there atm.

Dawson having a relatively quiet day hurt - goes to show his importance and that clubs are happy for Lloyd to get a lot of the ball out of defence.

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
worst best and fairest winner i can remember and thats not that bad, talking good players, but he has no impact, teams push him back one on one and he can't/wont kick long anymore

id like to see a move to the middle, he looks lost
This call is pretty unfair.. Really s**t yesterday and a few other games this year. He's just so indirect lately.. He was good in the north melbourne match, need to see more of that.

Back