#44 - Matt Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't have a great Champs making Country's bests on 1 occasion out of 5 games. Grigg slid on the back of a poor combine but at least showed his wares with a stand out Champs.

Sorry Peter, but what that argument doesn't take into account is that Crouch missed the first 3 games of the Champs with a broken hand.

He missed 7 to 8 weeks with a broken hand and after one game back with his local U/18 team and 30 plus disposals, played the last 2 games for Vic Country, getting 2nd best with 27 disposals in his 2nd game back against Vic Metro.

I'd say that given his limited preparation and limited number of games played in the Champs, he actually did very well.

Wouldve we picked him up if he wasnt Crouchs brother? Probably not, therefore not sure about this but I will back him all the way. Just not what we need at this stage, Lyons shouldve packed his bags in the off season.

Which hand did Crouch break? Would it have affected his kicking?

I remember poor Danger playing through a broken hand in late 2010 and couldn't hit the side of a barn trying to guide the ball onto his boot whilst wearing what amounted to an oven mitt.

Wouldve we picked him up if he wasnt Crouchs brother? Probably not, therefore not sure about this but I will back him all the way. Just not what we need at this stage, Lyons shouldve packed his bags in the off season.

Conversely, would there have been so much doubt over his selection if his name wasn't Crouch?

If "Peter Randomman" had been picked with his stats, we'd be excited - knowing he's got deficiencies to work with.

At work today I bumped into a man from crowland and I chatted to him about Matt Crouch. Said the person he said the club thinks he is closest thing they have seen to a young .....Gary McIntosh.
If Matt can get anywhere near the fear Gary instilled in his opponents we are onto a winner.

Ogilvy said that they would have selected Matt if his last name was Smith based on him being the best player available.

Stoked about us getting Crouch. Was one of the bests in one of the weaker TAC teams and often tagged, so there's plenty of potential upside. He also played in the VFL this year, showing he can match it with bigger bodies. Should be very interesting to see how he goes in our new reserves team against SANFL level opposition.

Wasn't that shocked to hear Impey drafted early either - first I'd heard of him was on that Sweeney Close to Home interview of the Crouch brothers, which had Matt saying reflecting on one of the games where Impey had cut his team up that day.

At work today I bumped into a man from crowland and I chatted to him about Matt Crouch. Said the person he said the club thinks he is closest thing they have seen to a young .....Gary McIntosh.

Anyone that ever saw McIntosh play for the Redlegs would know that is a big call, I'd settle for that in a split second, Gary was an absolute gun and would have killed them in the then VFL yet chose to stay loyal and resisted persistent overtures from the Vics for years.....think SA's version of Leigh Matthews, tough, uncompromising and fearless!!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to harp on this but did anyone else hear the rumour that he slid down the draft order due to that hair cut of his?

I'm tipping after Matt's first experience with one of Adelaide's "famous" sweltering weeks of 40+c with little overnight relief the locks will be long gone....;)

Interview with Matt coming up over here on Sports Day in a while with Tony Leonard and Damian Barrett.
Probably be able to pick it up in SA if you've got a half decent radio as Sports Day is syndicated to a myriad of radio stations by Craig Hutchison's Croc Media. I'm listening on 3 HA Horsham.

Talked about a Selwood like backyard competitiveness with Brad. Battles were fairly even and settled by their Dad. Sees himself as an inside stoppage midfielder (that's a surprise :p), will model game on Scott Thompson. Will live with Patrick Dangerfield for first fortnight before moving in with host family. Expects to be a little "starstruck" early on watching some of the players like Danger go about it at training. Talked a bit about his school football and was happy to go to the Crows to play with brother Brad.

Very happy with this pick! Crouch Jr. is a ball magnet and you cannot teach that! Love the fact he is a left footer. At 23 you are not going to get a player without flaws. Matt obviously needs to work on a few things with endurance being at the very top of the list. Speed off the mark and disposal being the other things he needs to work off but he has things that you cannot teach and that is a footy brain and elite ability to find the footy in a contest! His downside is that he doesn't appear to be able to play consistently well in other position and with his average endurance, together with new cap on rotations, he might find it tough to break into the team until he builds that engine up.

He is a very good replacement for Thompson in a couple of years and he is coming to AFC at a perfect time where he will play in our reserves team with strong focus on development.

At pick 23, we were always looking at a player who will need some work before we can start seeing some results at a senior level and Matt Crouch is as good as any you could hope for. What he does well, he is elite at. He is a real footballer which is a rarity these days. Personally, I love those types of players.

At this stage Matt's lack of endurance is no great concern given that due to cricket commitments he has never completed a full pre-season

Now he is a full time footballer his tank will greatly improve over the next 2-3 pre-seasons

so when he gets fit he'll average 370 possies a game :D

Its not as stupid as it sounds. Maybe not 370 lol.

His fitness is not an asset, our Club will over time create that for him. You add speed and strength to his armory which arguably a lot easier to do, then teaching a player where to position themselves and how to get the ball.

It might sound like a shot at VB, but I would rather a guy have a football nous as his number one armory, then winning 5 minute running trials.

The kid is a baby in AFL terms, in two years he will have increased his speed and strength. That is a FACT - barring injury.

Being part of the AFC reserves team will allow us, to shape and mold him the way WE want him to be.

He wont be placed in a forward/back pocket as may have been the case if he were to play for any other SANFL club.

We can dictate exactly how we want him to play, a quarter, half game or full game. Its all our decision making.

Im more excited about this aspect of grooming the next batch of AFC kids.

Crows fans congrats on getting this Left-footed medium midfielder with prolific ball-winning ability that excels at the stoppages and plus thrives in the contest. Sounds perfect for what you want in a kid to replace Thompson so i hope you like my post and im sure 2014 will be better with Tex back.

When you look at players who came after Crouch you realise it was a good call by the club

Crouch is obviously a direct replacement for Thompson .....and Thompson is by no means a quick player
He'll end up with a monster physique, a much better tank after proper AFL PS campaigns, and you can improve pace with sprint coaches.

Brad will act as that brotherly foil that will drive Matt to get better ..... Matt will not like Brad being regarded the better player ....will hate it.

Think about it though:
Sam Mitchell (179cm) was an overweight slow, short midfielder ....and look how he transformed himself

Luke Hodge is by no means quick

The fact remains it doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you don't have the want or desire to improve, you fall out of the AFL system

Matt Crouch IMO will be driven by personal ambition but also brotherly rivalry

Welcome Adelaide football Clubs version of the Gowan twins :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back