"Goddess"
44 owies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue_Steel89

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
he always seems to be out in front - does he ever need to go the banana etc?
Not that I'm aware of. Seems to find space in good spots within FWD50 which is great imo.
He has kicked a lot of goals by reading the pack and getting the ball over the back of a missed mark too.

Imo he has good spacial awareness (from basketball I'd assume) and reads the play really well. Obviously only 24 and still learning but I'm still very excited as to what he could become 👌

Bill O Really

Draftee
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Reading this thread back a week or so and we have an opposition supporter going hard in defending a Carlton player against Carlton supporters. Upside down world.
I saw a fair bit of his basketball and knew he would be a good AFL player when he came back to Ox, just by his steal capacity, and very quick of the mark, knows where the ball will be awareness. It is something that you can't teach people, you either have it you don't. Sydney will take him is Carlton don't want him, he is a 'no dickhead' sort of guy we like, LOL

blue89

Draftee
Jul 14, 2017
Not that I'm aware of. Seems to find space in good spots within FWD50 which is great imo.
He has kicked a lot of goals by reading the pack and getting the ball over the back of a missed mark too.

Imo he has good spacial awareness (from basketball I'd assume) and reads the play really well. Obviously only 24 and still learning but I'm still very excited as to what he could become 👌

Didn't Pendlebury play basketball as a kid too?

Bluezer

Senior List
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I was really impressed by Owies game, played his role very well and it seemed to balance us out a bit having that extra small in the fwd line rather than a re-deployed midfielder.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Owies is a forward first.

His leading patterns and marking is what we need. His reliable set shot kicking is something we have close to zero of.

Finally his pressure is a real fresh air. Him and Fogarty together... bring in Martin and Fisher. Look out! None of this Murphy/Gibbons stuff.

Murph as a sub rotating with Betts

Gibbons to the midfield or 2s.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton

You've nailed the key to his forward game. He generally only leads to good spots & on the odd occasions he finds himself on an acute angle, he is more inclined to kick the ball to someone in a more favourable position than try to nail the impossible goal.

He doesn't need a lot of the ball to be a dangerous presence.

You've nailed the key to his forward game. He generally only leads to good spots & on the odd occasions he finds himself on an acute angle, he is more inclined to kick the ball to someone in a more favourable position than try to nail the impossible goal.

Sounds like he knows his limitations and plays to them well.

Blue_Steel89

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Which makes him even more handy to have in the FWD50. Most defenders have one or two moments in a match where they tend to switch off slightly, I say most because some don't ever switch off. These little moments are the ones Owies would take advantage of and do some damage

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Which makes him even more handy to have in the FWD50. Most defenders have one or two moments in a match where they tend to switch off slightly, I say most because some don't ever switch off. These little moments are the ones Owies would take advantage of and do some damage
Exactly right. Whilst the opposition will focus on McKay, Levi or McG when we head inside F50, Owies is able to drop into the space left in front of them, with his opponent most likely guessing that he would be looking to be crumbing at the feet of the talls.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
M. Wright MK2 but younger with time to stamp out any deficiencies. Doesn't get a whole lot of it, but kicking multiples of goals in just about every game since coming in, very happy with Owies.
I think you'll find he'd be much better at the centre bounce and stoppages than Wright. Needs to get leaner though.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Who would have thought kicking multiple goals every week in the VFL for virtually three years would translate to multiple goals at AFL level? :think:

Love this guy, a smart footballer who does all the basics well. Plenty of mongrel too.

Not naming names, but i so wish some of our first round /non rookie draft picks showed as much oomph and work ethic AFL level as Owies.

And I clearly recall a few people saying he wasn't good enough for AFL level.

Feels fitting he wears Carrots old number. Carrazzo had to fight tooth and nail to forge out a very good AFL career despite some early setbacks.

Those are the type of lads coaches should spruik to younger, more talented kids coming through the system. Talent alone won't make you succeed at AFL level.

Back