AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sam Menegola 2011 Review

Sam_Menegola.jpg

Height: 189 cm.
Weight: 79 kg.
DOB: 7 Mar 1992
Recruited from East Fremantle

Sam Menegola was drafted pick no. 19 in the 2010 Rookie Draft as an 18-year-old half forward. He recorded one of that year's best endurance tests at the AFL draft camp.
Sam was one of the standout players at WAFL colts last season, kicking 46 goals from his 22 games with East Fremantle.

I only saw Sam play live this year on 4 occasions. When going through the VFL site I was surprised to find that Sam did only play 7 home & away games 3 Senior & 4 Development Squad as well as 2 Dev Squad finals including the Grand Final.

The few games I did see he appeared to have poise and was a very capable mark. He knew how to find space but not enough of the ball for mine. He has elite endurance (would have a bike ride of 2-5 hours the day after the game) good or bad recovery I’m not sure however loved to work hard and was super fit. I did hear that he found the smaller grounds of VFL more difficult and missed the space and game style of the West.
Highlights for me were his marking and consistent kick at goal.

NAB Game at Subiaco – Kicked 1 goal against West Coast in the first game which we lost by 2pts. Injured I think at Subiaco if not soon after with a wrist injury. It was anticipated to be a 6- 8 wk injury and I assume it was a little longer as he didn’t play again until round 9 in the VFL.

Did not play Rds 1-8, 17, 19
Rd 10, 13, 18 - Byes
Rd 9 - 2 goals
Rd 11 - 3 goals – Not in best in a 150 pt win
Rd 12 1st Senior game against Bendigo Bombers at Windy Hill 19th June. Improved in 2nd half one of the few who played better as the game went on.
Rd 14 & 15 Seniors – no goals
Rd 16 - 3 goals 6th best in Dev Squad
Rd 20 - DS 1 goal 5th best
Rd 21& 22 - DS 1 goal each game
DS Prelim - 2 goals
DS Grand Final - 3 goals – but did not feature in the best.

From what I understand Sam had an offer from Freo for a 2 year contract but he wanted to stay at Hawthorn. He requested to stay on at a base rate of a primary listed player. When Lyon went to Freo that offer was removed. Some interest was shown during trade week from St Kilda but a trade obviously was not successful. I believe Sam may not have received the best advice from his manager.

I would only be speculating as to what Hawthorn’s thinking was when they decided to delist him but I don’t think they were happy with what had taken place. Rightly or wrongly he was delisted based on ability or attitude, or possibly both only a few will probably ever know! I wish Sam well in his future endeavours.

Sam Menegola 2011 Review

Sam_Menegola.jpg

Height: 189 cm.
Weight: 79 kg.
DOB: 7 Mar 1992
Recruited from East Fremantle

Sam Menegola was drafted pick no. 19 in the 2010 Rookie Draft as an 18-year-old half forward. He recorded one of that year's best endurance tests at the AFL draft camp.
Sam was one of the standout players at WAFL colts last season, kicking 46 goals from his 22 games with East Fremantle.

I only saw Sam play live this year on 4 occasions. When going through the VFL site I was surprised to find that Sam did only play 7 home & away games 3 Senior & 4 Development Squad as well as 2 Dev Squad finals including the Grand Final.

The few games I did see he appeared to have poise and was a very capable mark. He knew how to find space but not enough of the ball for mine. He has elite endurance (would have a bike ride of 2-5 hours the day after the game) good or bad recovery I’m not sure however loved to work hard and was super fit. I did hear that he found the smaller grounds of VFL more difficult and missed the space and game style of the West.
Highlights for me were his marking and consistent kick at goal.

NAB Game at Subiaco – Kicked 1 goal against West Coast in the first game which we lost by 2pts. Injured I think at Subiaco if not soon after with a wrist injury. It was anticipated to be a 6- 8 wk injury and I assume it was a little longer as he didn’t play again until round 9 in the VFL.

Did not play Rds 1-8, 17, 19
Rd 10, 13, 18 - Byes
Rd 9 - 2 goals
Rd 11 - 3 goals – Not in best in a 150 pt win
Rd 12 1st Senior game against Bendigo Bombers at Windy Hill 19th June. Improved in 2nd half one of the few who played better as the game went on.
Rd 14 & 15 Seniors – no goals
Rd 16 - 3 goals 6th best in Dev Squad
Rd 20 - DS 1 goal 5th best
Rd 21& 22 - DS 1 goal each game
DS Prelim - 2 goals
DS Grand Final - 3 goals – but did not feature in the best.

From what I understand Sam had an offer from Freo for a 2 year contract but he wanted to stay at Hawthorn. He requested to stay on at a base rate of a primary listed player. When Lyon went to Freo that offer was removed. Some interest was shown during trade week from St Kilda but a trade obviously was not successful. I believe Sam may not have received the best advice from his manager.

I would only be speculating as to what Hawthorn’s thinking was when they decided to delist him but I don’t think they were happy with what had taken place. Rightly or wrongly he was delisted based on ability or attitude, or possibly both only a few will probably ever know! I wish Sam well in his future endeavours.

Bump for the following reasons:

1. Menegola has been named in the 40 man AA squad
2. Shows that the draft is a bit of a lottery (we drafted Menegola as a rookie) and some people just take time to develop.
3. Our recruiting team seems to have some good form in spotting potential for development (think Bruest, Ceglar, Greaves, Suckling, Will Langford, Gilham, Young, Sewell, Osbourne) and probably got it right about Menegola too.

It's interesting to speculate what he would have become if he'd stayed at Hawthorn. Same applies to Josh Kennedy and Tom Mitchell for that matter - would they have elevated their games to the same heights if they'd stayed? Anyway, well done Sam for turning your career around at your third club without playing a senior game at the first two! #grit

My vague memory is he missed most of his rookie year with us with a broken leg, we were keen to keep him on the rookie list, but someone got in his ear with the offer of a primary list spot so he turned down our offer and went back to the draft. Ended up going in the rookie draft again to Freo, so not sure if my memory is fuzzy, or the club who promised him a primary list spot backed down.

[Edit] And now I've actually read the original post from 2011 it covers this.

Last edited:

I vaguely remember something on the lines of:
1) He was hyped up
2) Started to think too much of himself
3) Something about his dad thinking the same and asking to us to offer a long term deal or he walks
4) We let him walk

But still, good to see the lad recover after being at two clubs, even if its at the cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back