VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Youā€™re totally missing the point.

If you have been delisted and are keen to play next year somewhere else you should call yourself delisted.

If youā€™ve been delisted and are now hanging up your boots and not taking calls from other teams (or calling them) - youā€™re retired.

I think it should be made clearer for the fans. We want to know if a player has been told by their club that they arenā€™t required. By saying retired it makes people think it was the players choice.

I think it should be made clearer for the fans. We want to know if a player has been told by their club that they arenā€™t required. By saying retired it makes people think it was the players choice.
Youā€™re ignoring my point

Do you get there is a difference between being delisted and wanting to play on vs wanting to retire?

Smack has retired. Itā€™s up to the club to clarify what they want to. You already know he was delisted so how are you being deceived?

If heā€™s retired from football and it was his decision then yes heā€™s retired.
If heā€™s been told his services arenā€™t required regardless of whether he will pursue another club then heā€™s been delisted.
If it were me I wouldnā€™t be calling myself retired when the club has given me the chop, Iā€™d find that embarrassing.
Same as Simpson from Carlton, he wouldā€™ve wanted to go on, they said no contract will be offered so he retired. Smacks body is cooked aswell probably knows his time is up.

My favourite memory of him was his four goals against Geelong in the 2018 country festival game. I rarely get to games but I went to that one with low expectations and Shaun and co. turned it on.

Youā€™re ignoring my point

Do you get there is a difference between being delisted and wanting to play on vs wanting to retire?

Smack has retired. Itā€™s up to the club to clarify what they want to. You already know he was delisted so how are you being deceived?

I see what you mean. I know heā€™s been delisted but only because itā€™s my club and I follow it closely. If it were another club I might not know that so for that reason it needs to be made clearer.

oh donā€™t back down now - Iā€™m 100% with you. they should be forced to parade around the MCG on grand final day (in usual circumstances) with their heads bowed low holding a sign saying ā€œI was delisted because I am not up to itā€ and everyone in the crowd should yell ā€œShame!! Shame!!ā€.

I might be old fashioned but thatā€™s how they should deal with it.
The trouble with the game these days is you can't get any distance throwing a half drank plastic cup of beer.

There are actually two different mechanisms, different paperwork and different consequences for a delisted player versus a retired player.

The consequences are largely down to whether or not they can be traded, move as a free agent, and to do with their registration as an AFL footballer. The best examples to look at are Luke Hodge to Brisbane (ret), Shane Mumford back to GWS (ret), Conor McKenna (ret), Michael Hartley to Hawthorn (del), and Brendon Goddard (del).

I'm sure it will be made clear soon enough, this one is a bit unusual because the first we heard about it was when FoxFooty showed footage in the rooms after the game of McKernan addressing the group and everyone shaking his hand afterwards, with the commentators saying it looked like he announced his retirement. Then at the post match press conference Rutten mentioned that they didn't offer McKernan a contract.

So we haven't had it clarified yet, but normally speaking it would be put up on the club website in no uncertain terms.

I always thought this guy had so much potential with us and we never just gave him a run of games to find his confidence as a younger player. He had so many moments where he would look like Wayne Carey for a split second and then kick it out on the full, just never seemed to back himself or really believe he could do it.

I thought for sure when he was picked up by you that he would put it together, not sure if he just didn't take his chances or was unlucky?

Thankyou Shaun,Fellow supporters if we had more players more like this bloke playing for the jumper we would be fine,Not a superstar but at least he showed some passion and loved the club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked Smack, still think in the right side he has something to offer. Yes I thought he might get delisted as per my post in trade and free agency but I feel sorry for him and any of our forwards that had to put up with that midfield delivery courtesy of a poor game plan. The bounce had a segment called coach killers. They should have another segment called player killers

I'll be sad to see Smack go he always laid it all out on the table. Was never a superstar but you knew he was more than a role player when everything clicked he could be genuinely destructive on his own merit.

Will always remember him as one of those blokes who really stepped it up and gave it a crack usually being asked to do something that was going to push the edge of his abilities but that just seemed to make him go in and give it a bigger go šŸ‘

Yep would be happy if SMACK got a run at the Saints. His second part of this season wasnā€™t his best but he still has a tank and could get to a contest and create a stoppage. Go SMACK!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back