VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

coming from a crows fan point of view. you guys are lucky to get him aboustley devastated that he left. you got a gem there

I don't mind this at all. Much better then the options that were available or had been linked to us previously. Still young in KPP/Ruck age, was desperate for a 2nd chance, didn't cost us anything.

Thought he spoke really well in the press conference as well.

Do people who have seen him play a bit think he could be anything like his older brother? In his prime, Corey was an absolute beast. Even half of that and this is a steal for the Dons. Fills a need too.

Remarkably, I think that media press conference if the first one where the journo's haven't asked about that other silly business!!!

(Unless BomberTV cut it out of course!)

Upgrade on Thurlow and I think a better option than steinberg. Only 24 and generally the rule suggests players his size dont mature until age 26 soooo good luck to him.

to offset that we have long and The irish man to develop, plus laverde and langford, so I think we've had a good drafting period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfect fit...ruck and KP depth in one hit. As someone else said, he allows us to send Carlisle back in the event of injury to Hooker or Hurley - that's important.

Has potential to be better then he is but that's not even the point....what he is now is all we really need him to be. If he actually develops that'll just be gravy.

He's a natural ruckman, even though he isn't that tall. Nice leap and knows how/where to direct his taps.

Unfortunately we spent 6 years trying to turn him into a key forward, which was a disaster. He suffers from a complete lack of football smarts as a forward and would often find himself outpositioned by much smaller defenders, even at SANFL level.

Would like to see him do well at another club.

Highlights or not McKernan can seriously kick the ball.

For a ruck.

I havnt seen too many rucks try and pin point passes like him or use vision like seen in the higlights or weight the ball as well as he showed. Whether its the right decision made or not is another issue.

He has great hands, is a massive unit. Can kick a long pill and also do what i have said above. He just needs to find himself. He sthe exact pick we needed.

He's a natural ruckman, even though he isn't that tall. Nice leap and knows how/where to direct his taps.

Unfortunately we spent 6 years trying to turn him into a key forward, which was a disaster. He suffers from a complete lack of football smarts as a forward and would often find himself outpositioned by much smaller defenders, even at SANFL level.

Would like to see him do well at another club.

In those couple of highlights posted earlier, he seems quite competent on the lead. With Lloydy back at the club, I would hope Essendon can really garner that inner AFL footballer in him and turn him from prospective to potential starting in 2015.

Do people who have seen him play a bit think he could be anything like his older brother? In his prime, Corey was an absolute beast. Even half of that and this is a steal for the Dons. Fills a need too.

I think he is quite similar but the game has changed since Corey was playing. (Corey was a better angry player. Shaun needs to find that). You have to be very mobile in today's footy and that's something that I don't believe either had in spades.

I think he is quite similar but the game has changed since Corey was playing. (Corey was a better angry player. Shaun needs to find that). You have to be very mobile in today's footy and that's something that I don't believe either had in spades.

Tell that to Brad Sheppard.. or is that what you meant?

Corey had massive confidence problems iirc. Hopefully Shaun didn't inherit them.

Interesting selection. I didn't see it coming.

Not sold on this, but we will see how he goes. Welcome Shaun.

Thought he was a potential gun in his draft year. Has shown glimpses of this and if he puts it altogether could be a very handy KF and backup ruck. Some players are written off too early. Look at Podsiadly for example - showed glimpses at Essendon and Collingwood before heading to VFL then returning to AFL as premiership key forward when quite dominant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back