VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

inb4 he slots 6 against the Demons and we all love him again

I mean I always will but y'know
Maybe I need to set up the sponsor photo shrine in front of the tv again. :think:

It's like hating a 5 year old cause they can't do algebra
Or thinking a 15 year old who can't read may need some extra curricular help.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Or thinking a 15 year old who can't read may need some extra curricular help.

I mean we nabbed him for chips as a free hit rookie - as an insurance policy if the s**t ever hit the fan

The s**t has since hit the fan multiple times since, and hes been there every time to perform adequately
and to fill some holes

Don't forget where he came from, he was not expected to be a star, or an aa - he was insurance, break glass style

I feel you are judging him like a top 10 pick who hasn't come on or something!

again now, the s**t has hit the fan, and he is covering - admirably.

I mean we nabbed him for chips as a free hit rookie - as an insurance policy if the s**t ever hit the fan

The s**t has since hit the fan multiple times since, and hes been there every time to perform adequately
and to fill some holes

Don't forget where he came from, he was not expected to be a star, or an aa - he was insurance, break glass style

Adelaide got him for pick 28 in the '08 national draft. I guess relative to other pick 28s that's actually pretty good!

and to fill some holes

I'm judging him as a 10 year player who has barely fired a shot. With a relatively good injury history, he hasn't done anything outside of 5 games last year.
Quoting 28 goalless games is a bit of furphy given he played in defence at the crows a bit and was first ruck in some games.
He was a free rookie pick. Not sure what people expect. Simon Madden?
He's played maybe a dozen games as a defender or #1 ruck. 28 goalless games is nearly triple the amount of games where he scored multiple goals. Almost half the games he played.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, and if you look at his career, and what he's done so far this year, I'm right 95% of the time.

The bloke is a spud. Half a dozen good games and we give him a 2 year deal. 51 goals in 64 games. 10 times with multiple goals. 28 goalless games. After 10 years of being on an AFL list.

Heā€™s the best fit forward marking target on the list at the moment.

Knox Harrington

Club Legend
May 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Shaun mckernan is such a tease he could be a Marsh brother.
Typical mckernan game goes a little something like this.
Take Two grabs in the first. Two set shots for points. Gives away a silly free that drives us mental.
Disappears for two quarters.
In the last takes a mark at 70 out wheels round on the right one bounce slots it from 60.
"oh he's still playing"
6 touches two marks one goal.

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Shaun mckernan is such a tease he could be a Marsh brother.
Typical mckernan game goes a little something like this.
Take Two grabs in the first. Two set shots for points. Gives away a silly free that drives us mental.
Disappears for two quarters.
In the last takes a mark at 70 out wheels round on the right one bounce slots it from 60.
"oh he's still playing"
6 touches two marks one goal.
Lol summed up to a tee šŸ‘ŒšŸ¤£

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Worsfold said he was struggling to move the 2nd half and probably shouldnā€™t have been out there...

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Because in the first two weeks he was s**t. This week he was great.

Absolute bullshit.

He was our best and only forward marking target last week and again tonight.

Heā€™s actually critical to our structure at the moment with Daniher out. Absolutely critical.

Because in the first two weeks he was s**t. This week he was great.
Maybe the rest of the team was s**t last week and couldn't bring him into the game.

Absolute bullshit.

He was our best and only forward marking target last week and again tonight.

Heā€™s actually critical to our structure at the moment with Daniher out. Absolutely critical.
* me dead, he was shocking last week. Basically every commentator tonight has said that his first two games were shocking. Credit to him, he played well tonight but don't pretend that he wasn't s**t last week.
Maybe the rest of the team was s**t last week and couldn't bring him into the game.
Maybe it's both, but I've never heard so many excuses for this guy compared to anyone else on our list.

inb4 he slots 6 against the Demons and we all love him again

I mean I always will but y'know
This aged well and for once I don't say that to be a sarcastic arse.

Maybe it's both, but I've never heard so many excuses for this guy compared to anyone else on our list.
Maybe that's because you've got a mostly unjustified hate-on for him and more sensible people are calling you out over it

Maybe that's because you've got a mostly unjustified hate-on for him and more sensible people are calling you out over it
Or maybe it's because everyone loves the idea of a 6'5 athletic bloke who can crash packs, take contested marks and kick a bag on his day that they fail to see that he does that once every two or 3 games at best.

Haha you are not impartial in the slightest when it comes to Mckernan.
Well then ask literally all the Fox commentators, and all the channel 7 commentators tonight. They all said the exact. Same. Thng.

Back