VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a player in there somewhere.

It's a midfielder.

Seriously, every time he's shown a fair bit, it's been in the middle. He's usually ordinary to rank as far as actual hitouts go, but great when the ball hits the deck. He links up through the middle really nicely, and weirdly, kicks way more goals when he doesn't start forward.

It's a midfielder.

Seriously, every time he's shown a fair bit, it's been in the middle. He's usually ordinary to rank as far as actual hitouts go, but great when the ball hits the deck. He links up through the middle really nicely, and weirdly, kicks way more goals when he doesn't start forward.

Agree. If we are smart enough to set up in a way that doesn't rely on him winning many hit outs then we can also play to his strengths.

It's a midfielder.

Bit harsh on his ruck work imo. He does remarkably well for a bloke with his length.

He looks like manchild kid in the under 16s who the coach just let's follow the ball around and do what he wants.

Maybe that's his schtick. Don't pigeon hole him with silly things like roles and positions..

Just Play mate, and do stuff.

Btw I bet if you go back 4 years to the ade smack thread you'll see the line "Gee there is a gun in there if we could only just...."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit harsh on his ruck work imo. He does remarkably well for a bloke with his length.

Sure, but that's kind of the point isn't it? Despite doing well, he's almost always up against guys who are bigger than him, so it has a reasonably big effect on his output there.

He looks like manchild kid in the under 16s who the coach just let's follow the ball around and do what he wants.

Maybe that's his schtick. Don't pigeon hole him with silly things like roles and positions..

Just Play mate, and do stuff.

Btw I bet if you go back 4 years to the ade smack thread you'll see the line "Gee there is a gun in there if we could only just...."

This is pretty close to what I meant. He seems to get it when he's in the middle, because he can just go for the ball and run around.

Whenever he's been played forward for significant periods at VFL or AFL level, it seems like he doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to leading regularly, or working his opponent over, and he becomes far more of a passenger.

Luey out 3-4 according to scooter

Luey out 3-4 according to scooter
Means we get him back for Adelaide. Hopefully it's only 3 so we can get some match practice vs Kreuzer.

This will sound dumb I understand this, but I was in delerium last night while looking after a sick kid, my brain cooked up a scenario at 3am on no sleep.

It seems our great strength at the minute is our 'playing on the counter attack' or the creative ping off HB, getting over the back and catching the opposition on the hop while their defensive pack or zone isnt settled and has been sucked up the ground in the mode of keeping it in their half.

We are deadly at it this year.

But for this to happen you need to actually take possession off the opponent's fwd entry

If you win the centre clearance and move forward often you are moving into a pack of defenders in their ideal formation

So maybe having smack as ruck and losing the tap/clearance may not actually be the death of us? Might play into our hands if our rebounders are our strength.

Straws I know...

Scooter was quoting Mitch Cleary who has since deleted his tweet..

Which is why I said according to scoot!
I'd be extremely impressed with 3 weeks however..

I'm ok with him not winning the hit outs as long as he gets the ball out.

This. He might not win a heap of hitouts but he becomes another midfielder as soon as the ball hits the deck. He was by far our best clearance player yesterday.
Leuey wasn't dominating the ruck yesterday, our mids just wanted the pill more. When Smack started rucking we continued to dominate clearances from stoppages.
It wasn't till after half time that the tide turned. It wasn't down to Smack rucking, but due to our mids losing their intensity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back