VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a feeling all delistings would be announced at once. How many more to come?
Hopefully McKernan hangs around on the rookie list

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
There will be more delistings as they often don't occur all at once. Nothing has been said for any of the rookie listed players yet.

Being reported in the Age tonight that Neck Mckernan has been offered a further year on the Rookie list. I am happy with this. Provides depth whilst never going to be a best 22 player. Can do some great things and some very very silly ones. If he can just stop doing the dumb things he may actually be a player.

Last edited:
Being reported in the Age tonight that Neck Mckernan has been offered a further year on the Rookie list. I am happy with this. Provides depth whilst never going to be a best 22 player. Can do some great things and some very very silly ones. If we can just stop doing the dumb things he may actually be a player.
Good news!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We have four ruck types on our list. McKernan staying will deny opportunities for Draper and Lavender. A bewildering decision.

He played predominately as a key forward in the VFL once Bellchambers and Leuenberger were up and running. We even rucked Draper as the number 1 on a few occasions.

If McKernan is on the list it's as a key forward who might be an option for an emergency ruck option at AFL level.

It means that the wish that eth-dog and I have to see us sign Freeman is all but over.

He played predominately as a key forward in the VFL once Bellchambers and Leuenberger were up and running. We even rucked Draper as the number 1 on a few occasions.

If McKernan is on the list it's as a key forward who might be an option for an emergency ruck option at AFL level.

It means that the wish that eth-dog and I have to see us sign Freeman is all but over.
I don't get that either. Freeman is basically doing what Smack does in the State Leagues (well he kicks more goals but it's a weaker league) whilst being 23 instead of 26.

I don't get that either. Freeman is basically doing what Smack does in the State Leagues (well he kicks more goals but it's a weaker league) whilst being 23 instead of 26.

I'd have probably swapped them because I think that Freeman could still be a 100 game AFL player where as if Smack was going to get there he'd be there by now.

I have high hopes for Lavender because we can already see how good Draper is going to be so we need someone to compliment him. It necessarily limits the way we develop players so it indicated that we have high hopes for Lavender. It helps with the non-signing of Freeman.

Smack has Freeman covered for durability and his ability to influence the game around the ground (whereas I couldn't say that Freeman is more than lead mark and kick).

I've got no issue with holding on to Smack. If Lavender and Draper were to really come on I can see McKernan on the list in 2019 (assuming that there is a way to keep him on the rookie list).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key forward insurance for mine.

Daniher and Hooker are great. James Stewart is a funny one, big guy but plays more comfortably as a third tall option IMO.

McKernan can play effectively as a key forward - for that reason alone I hope he's retained, but for obvious reasons hope his opportunities are limited at senior level.

Key forward insurance for mine.

Daniher and Hooker are great. James Stewart is a funny one, big guy but plays more comfortably as a third tall option IMO.

McKernan can play effectively as a key forward - for that reason alone I hope he's retained, but for obvious reasons hope his opportunities are limited at senior level.

Exactly - Hooker insurance more than anything.

He was pretty good up in Sydney mid year from memory

20170327_McKernan_H.jpg

#YESS

Waste another year of development on a guy not adding any value to our team in years to come
I guess this is a prime example of bigfooty player development expertise.

Smack is good solid depth, him being on the list means that Draper and Lavender can worry about learning the rules of the game and how to mark and how to kick or handball, and learn how to ruck properly, rather than worry about how bad Mumford is going to hurt him when TBC has a sore foot against GWS next weekend, and letting down the team because he doesn't know how to do something simple to an adequate standard. When he's ready, I'd like to see him get a run of games where he can really try things and learn from it, but those one-off games getting smashed and then going back to the VFL are not the way to do it. At least Smack has the mature body to cop the whacks and can at least be useful clearing the ball if he needs to jump in for the odd game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back