VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks McKernan is in the team for ruck depth is mistaken.

He is there as KPF depth, nothing else.
He's there for both

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's there for both

Yep, for sure. He's basically 10 years into his career, at least in a physical sense he's a hardened pro.

I don't see why he can't be the third ruck in line for the AFL side and play as a high key forward in the VFL. It's not like he won't have the conditioning to play as a ruckman in the AFL (where his mobility is elite even if his ruck work has it's problems). It enables Leuenberger and Draper/Lavender to play as the ruckmen in the VFL. The ruckmen do a lot of work on the craft at training given the likelihood of both Bellchambers and Leuenberger being unavailable is quite low (why else would we persist with McKernan?) I don't see why we'd stuff around with the development of Draper and Lavender.

He's a stop gap for the point in time in the next 12 months that Draper becomes a viable selection in the AFL team.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Liberatorā€™s hypotheticals #34; Hooker and Francis and Lavender and Stewart are involved in an unfortunate event at the Hangarā€™s cafe after Green has a drastic allergic reaction to egg, and produces a very slippery puddle on the parquetry floor - and they are all out for the year. Smack plays every game in the forward line. How many goals does he kick?

Liberatorā€™s hypotheticals #34; Hooker and Francis and Lavender and Stewart are involved in an unfortunate event at the Hangarā€™s cafe after Green has a drastic allergic reaction to egg, and produces a very slippery puddle on the parquetry floor - and they are all out for the year. Smack plays every game in the forward line. How many goals does he kick?

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon 30-40.

But you know that most of them wouldnā€™t be straightforward clunk-and-slot from easy angles, but would involve crazy agile kicks and snaps from acute angles. He is not much of a KPF, even though he can do some pretty impressive things, take some strong marks, evade and score etc.

I think that smack, if he so wanted, could pick up a man by his cranium. With one hand. (Which is legal in AFLX I believe).

(He might be the missing link - not just in our midfield, not just in the evolution of the game, but in the evolution of the species).

Suffice to say, I hereby claim Shaun ā€˜mutantā€™ McKernan as MY BOY for the 2018 Premiership Season.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon 30-40.

But you know that most of them wouldnā€™t be straightforward clunk-and-slot from easy angles, but would involve crazy agile kicks and snaps from acute angles. He is not much of a KPF, even though he can do some pretty impressive things, take some strong marks, evade and score etc.

I think that smack, if he so wanted, could pick up a man by his cranium. With one hand. (Which is legal in AFLX I believe).

(He might be the missing link - not just in our midfield, not just in the evolution of the game, but in the evolution of the species).

Suffice to say, I hereby claim Shaun ā€˜mutantā€™ McKernan as MY BOY for the 2018 Premiership Season.

I'd put money on 30 (with him and Daniher being the only key forwards).

That's not even 2 goals a game with Daniher still getting all the attention and McKernan getting supply.

MightyDon

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Play him as a mid fielder, his follow up work as a ruckman was one of the best aspects of his rucking, was like having a big bodied mid in there, goes forward and kicks goals, great set of hands, probably quicker around than ground than Jobe was

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Play him as a mid fielder, his follow up work as a ruckman was one of the best aspects of his rucking, was like having a big bodied mid in there, goes forward and kicks goals, great set of hands, probably quicker around than ground than Jobe was
Not the most ridiculous thing Iā€™ve heard. Play the wings pushing forward and taking around-the-ground stoppage work when the designated ruckman is lagging behind play. Opposition would need to keep an eye on him anywhere from 70m out when pushing forward. Heā€™s a much better kick than a Blicavs. My only concern would be his defensive accountability if heā€™s matched up on a Gaff/Sidebum type on his side of the ground.

MightyDon

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Not the most ridiculous thing Iā€™ve heard. Play the wings pushing forward and taking around-the-ground stoppage work when the designated ruckman is lagging behind play. Opposition would need to keep an eye on him anywhere from 70m out when pushing forward. Heā€™s a much better kick than a Blicavs. My only concern would be his defensive accountability if heā€™s matched up on a Gaff/Sidebum type on his side of the ground.
For sure concerned about his defensive run but weā€™ve had some plodders in there before. I think Myers and Langford can both be good in the midfield but an injury or lack of form from either and we are super thin and have still be getting smashed at the centre bounce and having to score bringing the ball from defence all the time, itā€™s frustrating that they donā€™t seem to trying anything different, he played well in the AFLx

Something he could do and something I suggested they do with him in the VFL last year to have a look see. Given the outside pace we now have we can afford the odd slower bloke.
If only he had another 4cm to 5cm :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
De La Salle VAFA
Shaun Grigg played in the ruck for the tigers at times last year. Some commentators have suggested having a ruckman like Grigg that can be an extra mid is actually the next evolution. Itā€™s an extra player at the contest. Thatā€™s important when half our midfield are passengers.

Look at Leuy, wins no dominates the taps, but what do our boys get out of it? Nothing. Zeros, Zilch. Nada.

Mckernan we know whilst not Sandlands is actually a good see ball get ball giant midfielder- he can actually offer something when the call hits the deck, take a mark, kick a goal and actually compete hard and creates pressure.

He could also release Hooker back or play ruck all day.

He is in rare form based on the intra / AFLX and the Tigers game. The Tigers are actually the best team or one of the best teams going around so you canā€™t logically argue with that form.

With our midfield like butter. Itā€™s time to bring in someone who can just get the ball. I personally feel given the opp he can be as effective as BellyT.

Well ahead of Leuy, Draper and the other guy.

I heard from people at the club that the penny has finally dropped with him. By accounts he has been told he can be selected every week now with the changes in the rookie rules.

With Laverde injured and Francis out perhaps he thinks this is his chance?

Grab it by the balls, Mckernan...

He is in rare form
I think that pretty much sums up why I don't like him. He could be anything. But he rarely is... and rarely has been. He's 27, and his form is patchy at best. If he was gonna do something worthy of being best 22 he would've done it by now.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
I think that pretty much sums up why I don't like him. He could be anything. But he rarely is... and rarely has been. He's 27, and his form is patchy at best. If he was gonna do something worthy of being best 22 he would've done it by now.
I agree, I do think he was dropped to early last year tho. He was really good against the Hawks. Struggled the next week and then dropped.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I think he has been and continues to be good depth for forward or ruck positions. That's about it.

Any ideas that he has past Stewart I think are premature. Stewart is a lot more mobile which is actually really important for our tall forward line. He's a more reliable kick as well.

McKernan has some aspects to his game that are really good like his marking (at times) and goal kicking. However ultimately he's too short to play in the ruck and he gives way too many frees away wherever he is on the ground. He's not mobile enough to play with Daniher and Hooker in my opinion either.

Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
De La Salle VAFA
Stewart is a different player imo. He is purely a fwd. His ruck craft is not much better than Ambrose. No sorry Ambrose can hold his ground, Stewart is like a taller version of Gleeson in the ruck. A bit like wrestling a paper bag.

I can see a time when Hooker plays back and Mckernan replaces him.

What is worse for ourside, Brown & Hartley playing, or Hartley/Hooker or Brown/ Hooker with Mckernan playing forward & providing relief ruck?

Without a Hurley or a Hooker in our defence we are farrrrked. We canā€™t rely on skin & bones Gleeson to intercept and we are left with two blokes that can be rather average at times.

It goes against the grain to choose Mckernan. But I see something there. Some players take longer and big guys sometimes take an eternity. Clearly the clubs sees something in him.

Itā€™s not unfathamable that he could genuinely help us win some games this year and play 10+ games. Maybe even more. On the performance of the alternative Ruckman, only Tbell is ahead. If he goes down & Leuy shows no improvement. Who knows ?

Mckernan played primarily forward on the weekend I though John said. He barely played Ruck.

We have gone in with undersized ruckman before, and been convincingly slaughtered every time. Are we forgetting the horror shows against sandi, Goldstein, Nic Nat etc over the years.
We already have an undersized midfield, we don't need another undersized player in there full time. Can he pinch hit every now and then? Yes. But that isn't the difference between us being a good team or not.

Richmond id argue can get away with using Grigg because they have a proven midfield group. Cotchin, Dusty, Prestia, Caddy. I don't believe our midfield is of the same proven quality.

We already use a smaller Ruck when the ball is forward anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back