VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt Berger will be ready. Kreuzer as a tap ruck does not worry me a lot. He is more like Smack in that he he is a very big ruck rover. His tap work is not great. Was interesting yesterday to see Stewart was not used in the ruck at all. Would have thought it was valuable for him to still be getting some ruck time.
The fitness staff seem to disagree. I'd rather get a game into Leuey or Bellchambers before we have to face Jacobs, and Leuey is the one we probably need to blow the cobwebs out.

Thanks McKernan for trying your best in these first few weeks but its time to play someone that is actually ruck sized. Bellchambers is now fit and ready and Leuenberger will have recovered from his hammy (its just a question of whether they are willing to bring him straight in).

He was always 3rd in line out of our rucks and for good reason - he's not AFL quality. I think its pretty clear that a lot of his success last week was due to just how poor Mcevoy and Vickery actually are as a ruck division. McEvoy can barely jump and Vickery is just a total spud that Hawthorn have managed to secure for themselves.

We just can't afford to get smashed in hitouts every week and hope that he makes up for it around the ground. Even though he got smashed around the ground and in clearances too by Martin who is actually just a superior version of McKernan. Basically if McKernan was an afl level ruck he would look like Martin in terms of style.

Needed some help in the ruck last night, Martin right got on top in the third quarter when they killed us in stoppages. Brisbane must have got a 2 touch goal directly from the centre bounce 3 or 4 times last night? He was brilliant against Hawthorn but we definantly need a full size ruckman into the team to do the majority of the ruckwork. He's much better around the ground though and he should definantly stay in next week.

After watching the replay I reckon Martin getting on top of him was key to their resurgence in the 3rd. Their intensity lifted generally but getting killed in the clearances really hurt. I think he either has get that early jump crap out of his repertoire or go back to the VFL.

What do people think about Smack and Luey in the same side? I think it would give us the structure we need (not having to sacrifice Joe in the ruck is a big plus), without having two lumbering rucks which could expose us for speed and ground coverage. Also allows Smack to play forward where he could be a dangerous 3rd tall; he's decent enough in the ruck to chop Luey out but not a permanent solution there.

What do people think about Smack and Luey in the same side? I think it would give us the structure we need (not having to sacrifice Joe in the ruck is a big plus), without having two lumbering rucks which could expose us for speed and ground coverage. Also allows Smack to play forward where he could be a dangerous 3rd tall; he's decent enough in the ruck to chop Luey out but not a permanent solution there.
Which of our forwards comes out for him?

Which of our forwards comes out for him?
Herein lies the issue. Worsfold is a proponent of the current set-up. I'm also inclined to agree with him, but is a third tall warranted against some sides? Not only does it provide additional aerial threat, but McKernan is obviously agile and relatively quick for a big guy. It also means that Joe isn't needed to ruck, which is a huge deal imo.

Of the team that lined up yesterday, I'd argue you could lose a guy like Howlett and keep Smack. Perhaps that would make us too slow, or too open to rebound. Match-ups are also an important consideration. I wouldn't mind seeing it trialed against Carlton.

I am dismayed by the negativity surrounding Shaun's game last night, playing against a vastly superior ruckman Martin. He was ok. Certainly not the worst in the team and was actually better than Martin in the 2nd Qrt during our serge.

The question I put to the haters is would Bellchambers have produced a better result? Not confident he would have. Perhaps The Burger could break even against Martin.

Once we have a fit Burger then he should replace Shaun. Until then Belly needs to prove himself playing a lot more games in the twos gaining fitness & confidence and showing us he can play again.

Luey is clearly our number one and an unfit Belly is less value than Shaun.

Right now Shaun stays in the team until the Berger is fit. Or until Belly rips apart consecutive games in the twos.

Just my two cents

I don't think our game style requires two ruckman, I wouldn't play both Shaun with The Berger.

I think we need ball movers good by foot. Our fwd line is settled & I wouldn't want a resting ruckman to effect the space & synergy that Daniher, Hooker, Fantasia & co have with an extra tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've only made the one change, Leuey for Smack. T-Bell I think we play vs Adelaide, we really need both of them against Jacobs.
Thought you were against rucking Daniher.
Why would we not keep McKernan in as relief for Leuey? I would.
Coming off a hammy, Leuey might need a little more relief than usual too.

Thought you were against rucking Daniher.
Why would we not keep McKernan in as relief for Leuey? I would.
Coming off a hammy, Leuey might need a little more relief than usual too.
I am. However I'm also against playing Smack as a forward/ruck when he's near useless as it.

He's played well enough past 2 weeks to get another crack at it
He played well vs McEvoy. He was poor against Martin.

Which is well enough not to be dropped. Comfortably.
Really? Just seems a typical Smack career. 9 years in and it's still good one week, poor the next. Plus there's the fact that Leuenberger is fit and better, and T-Bell has been near BOG two weeks in a row.

Definitely will struggle against the 'premier' ruckmen (Gawn, Goldstein).
Fine if he gets beaten in a hit out and we still have a chance of reading it, but not when Martin grabs it then clears the ball himself.

Watching Gawn play yesterday, Smack will get a shellacking of the highest order. I'm conflicted though cos i don't like seeing Daniher taken out of the forward line to ruck. In the same breath, i'm not sure Smack & Luey in the same team is viable.... very conflicted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back