VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? Just seems a typical Smack career. 9 years in and it's still good one week, poor the next. Plus there's the fact that Leuenberger is fit and better, and T-Bell has been near BOG two weeks in a row.

T - Bell has been near BOG 2 weeks in a row... what does that genuinely mean, and is it honestly true that he was BOG?

Playing practice matches, against lower grade ruckman in a lower grade competition and having his minutes managed to avoid burnout or injury.

Bellchambers has never torn it up on the training track, never been the fittest guy in the world. He hasn't played AFL footy in well over a year, is still getting over an injury and did almost no preseason.

Is he honestly capable at moment of playing in the ruck for a whole AFL game ?

IMO Bellchambers will be an absolute liability until his fitness levels are AFL standard. Mckernan whilst not great, at the moment he is the lesser evil.

Belly needs a couple more games under his belt before he takes the rucking spot from Mckernan

On his form should never have been dropped and played 2nd ruckman to burger
A good game vs a s**t ruck and a s**t game vs a good ruck means he should never have been dropped? And why should he play 2nd ruck to Leuey when on all available evidence he's putrid in that role?

Burger won the hit outs v blue but we lost the clearances and game, won the hit outs in Adelaide we broke even lost the game, lost the hit outs v pie we won the clearances won the game, McKernan adds much more around the ground
Leuenberger and Bellchambers are better. He played a good game vs McEvoy, who is a massive spud, and a s**t game against Stefan Martin. He is simply not AFL standard, the sooner people accept that, the better.

Patrick Cripps said on the footy show today that he is now 195cm. While I don't think Mckernan would be a Cripps level player, our issues on the inside are only going to get worse over the next week or two as we come up against the Dockers and will likely have to rest a few guys.

We could do much worse than chuck him at stoppages and see how he goes as a midfielder tbh. Really, we could. I saw it today.

With Ridley debuting in the VFL this weekend I think McKernan must be back on the rookie list (hasn't been announced yet).
I would be concerned if I were McKernan. Our rucks haven't exactly set the world on fire this year, yet he wasn't really given an opportunity.

I prefer him to the other two but clearly Woosha doesn't agree.

I don't see the point of retaining him as back up when the reality is he's probably behind all three now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be concerned if I were McKernan. Our rucks haven't exactly set the world on fire this year, yet he wasn't really given an opportunity.

I prefer him to the other two but clearly Woosha doesn't agree.

I don't see the point of retaining him as back up when the reality is he's probably behind all three now.
Because the other two are better. McKernan has had half a good year out of 9 on an AFL list.

Last time I checked he's played the same amount of games as TBell this year. And a lot more last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
McKernan played 2 games when Bellchambers was coming back from injury and couldn't play a full game. Interesting to note that Bellchambers gets a game when both are match fit.

Last year. Funny you bring that up. McKernan managed less AFL games than VFL in a year where we had 11 players missing from our top 30, 7 of which would have been best 22 round 1. With 2 players in direct competition to his spot (Hooker and Bellchambers).

McKernan played 2 games when Bellchambers was coming back from injury and couldn't play a full game. Interesting to note that Bellchambers gets a game when both are match fit.

Last year. Funny you bring that up. McKernan managed less AFL games than VFL in a year where we had 11 players missing from our top 30, 7 of which would have been best 22 round 1. With 2 players in direct competition to his spot (Hooker and Bellchambers).

It's my personal opinion Eth!

You of all people should know what an opinion is, you have one on everything!

It's my personal opinion Eth!

You of all people should know what an opinion is, you have one on everything!

Yep. Just pointing out why many would consider it invalid. 51 games of a possible 200 or so (estimate if we include finals whilst at Adelaide) without factoring in injuries and suspensions. So you can probably remove around 30 games from that. Sounds like someone that's definitely AFL standard, not.

Yep. Just pointing out why many would consider it invalid. 51 games of a possible 200 or so (estimate if we include finals whilst at Adelaide) without factoring in injuries and suspensions. So you can probably remove around 30 games from that. Sounds like someone that's definitely AFL standard, not.

It's amazing that he's still on an AFL list....

It's amazing that he's still on an AFL list....

Quite frankly, when you look at his career, it is. If he were redrafted by St. Kilda rather than us as were the rumours around then I can almost guarantee he wouldn't be on a list.

Quite frankly, when you look at his career, it is. If he were redrafted by St. Kilda rather than us as were the rumours around then I can almost guarantee he wouldn't be on a list.

It's funny that you should come to that conclusion.

If you read my original post properly you would see that I believe McKernan will be finished this year.

See my post wasn't complimenting McKernan at all it was actually me expressing my lack of confidence in either Leuey or Bellchambers!

I've said it numerous times that I don't rate either ruckman and quite frankly it surprises me that have such respect for both of them that you have numerous times this year wanted both in your team!

I doubt their is a coach in the AFL including our own that would want both in their team regularly.

IMO McKernan was kept on the list this year as cheap insurance because Leuenberger and TBC are made of glass.

Did his job in Rd 1 when Leuey and TBC were injured and played a good game against the Hawks.

Most likely won't play at AFL level if Leuey and TBC stay fit.

Can someone make a list of all 3rd in line rucks from all teams? I doubt many are "afl standard" and I don't think your 3rd In line needs to be. Otherwise they probably wouldn't be at the club they'd be somewhere else

I rate Smack tho. Huge fan.

Can someone make a list of all 3rd in line rucks from all teams? I doubt many are "afl standard" and I don't think your 3rd In line needs to be. Otherwise they probably wouldn't be at the club they'd be somewhere else

I rate Smack tho. Huge fan.
Daniel Gorringe, Smack, Tom Campbell, Rhys Stanley, Paul Hunter, Cam Pederson, Zac Clarke, Nathan Vardy, Dawson Simpson, Marc Pittonet, Majak Daw, Oscar McInerney, Lachlan Keeffe, Matthew Lobbe, Lewis Pierce, Daniel Currie, Sam Naismith and Ivan Soldo.

Of those I would probably pick Campbell, Stanley, Clarke, Vardy, Daw, Lobbe, Pierce and Naismith ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back