VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess this is a prime example of bigfooty player development expertise.

Smack is good solid depth, him being on the list means that Draper and Lavender can worry about learning the rules of the game and how to mark and how to kick or handball, and learn how to ruck properly, rather than worry about how bad Mumford is going to hurt him when TBC has a sore foot against GWS next weekend, and letting down the team because he doesn't know how to do something simple to an adequate standard. When he's ready, I'd like to see him get a run of games where he can really try things and learn from it, but those one-off games getting smashed and then going back to the VFL are not the way to do it. At least Smack has the mature body to cop the whacks and can at least be useful clearing the ball if he needs to jump in for the odd game.

Living in Adelaide I have seen Smacks whole career he was exactly the same at the Crows. Does a few things that are spectacular that keeps him on a list and that's it. Surely with our age demographic right now taking a punt on a DFA is more valuable. If it was me and someone was injured I would be selecting youth before smack. But we struggle to play youth as it is lately.

Fingers crossed, hoping he shows a bit more consistency, COULD be a 2018 surprise packet.

Fingers crossed, hoping he shows a bit more consistency, COULD be a 2018 surprise packet.
I think that door has closed unfortunately, he's a back up, nothing more.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

very happy we retained this guy. Always been a fan of his occasional cameos. Whilst never going to set the world on fire, he is a sensible insurance policy for both ruck and forward. Handy to have around.

Im gonna back the highly skilled Bomber selectors with this decision

Living in Adelaide I have seen Smacks whole career he was exactly the same at the Crows. Does a few things that are spectacular that keeps him on a list and that's it. Surely with our age demographic right now taking a punt on a DFA is more valuable. If it was me and someone was injured I would be selecting youth before smack. But we struggle to play youth as it is lately.
I'm not expecting him to be any better than that. He's depth, he doesn't need to be outstanding. If he was outstanding he'd be poached by someone else anyway.

If there's a DFA out there that can do a better relief ruck job and is content with a rookie list spot then sure, but I think the club has better things to spend their recruitment resources on.

My favourite spud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bigger issue is you don't need 5 ruck lists on an AFL list in 2018 - It's a waste of list spots and stops the development of young rucks.

No it doesn’t, mckernan hardly ever plays in the ruck in the Vfl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bigger issue is you don't need 5 ruck lists on an AFL list in 2018 - It's a waste of list spots and stops the development of young rucks.

Yaco, he wasn't really rucking in the second half of the year in sides with Draper, Leuey or Strachan.

He's 7 or 8 years in the AFL system, he doesn't need to play VFL ruck to be be fodder in the AFL side in case of emergency.

By my count McKernan doesn't create an additional problem for development that Lavender didn't create.

Smack will play as a key forward. Lavender and Draper will rotate between second ruck and playing as the second permanent key forward. They can all fit into the side and Draper and Lavender will get enough game time and they need to be developed as forwards as much as rucks.

The forwardline might suffer, at least initially, but it's a development team so the results don't really matter.

Next year we turn McKernan's spot into a developing tall forward and the argument dies off completely.

Natalie MacGregor said:
McKernan ready for 2018

For Shaun McKernan, the 2018 pre-season can’t come quick enough. After an injury interrupted preparation in 2017, the Bombers big man is fit and healthy on the eve of a return to preseason training.

“2018 is exciting for me because last year I had two surgeries so I didn’t start pre-season until January,” McKernan said

“Personally, it’s about getting my body up and going now, and it’s good to have a fresh start next season.”

“We have picked up some great players over the last few weeks, so I’m looking forward to bringing them in and building towards something special with our great list.”

McKernan will remain on the Rookie list, under new rules next season, Category A Rookies will now be eligible to play in the senior side without needing to be upgraded on to the senior list.

Senior Coach, John Worsfold, said McKernan had plenty to offer the team in 2018. .

“Shaun gives us good depth as another ruckman, a mature-aged ruckman, while we have two developing young ruckman in Sam Draper and Luke Lavender,” Worsfold said.

“He has the flexibility to play as a key forward for us, if required as well.

“He is a player that works really hard, has a great attitude, great work ethic and fits in really well with the values that we are living.”

List and Recruiting Manager, Adrian Dodoro, said McKernan has the capability to play a number of roles at senior level.

“Shaun will be retained in 2018 as a rookie player, because of the new rules, he will be up for senior selection next season,” Dodoro said.

“Shaun gives us the versatility to play a number of roles and also provides insurance for our ruckman, if they happen to go down.”

McKernan played 34 games for Adelaide before joining Essendon in 2015. He has played 18 games in the Red and Black, in his three seasons with the Club.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-11-02/mckernan-ready-for-2018

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yaco, he wasn't really rucking in the second half of the year in sides with Draper, Leuey or Strachan.

He's 7 or 8 years in the AFL system, he doesn't need to play VFL ruck to be be fodder in the AFL side in case of emergency.

By my count McKernan doesn't create an additional problem for development that Lavender didn't create.

Smack will play as a key forward. Lavender and Draper will rotate between second ruck and playing as the second permanent key forward. They can all fit into the side and Draper and Lavender will get enough game time and they need to be developed as forwards as much as rucks.

The forwardline might suffer, at least initially, but it's a development team so the results don't really matter.

Next year we turn McKernan's spot into a developing tall forward and the argument dies off completely.

The reality is McKernan needs to do some rucking in the VFL, if he is ever needed for emergency cover in the AFL as a ruck - Fact remains that Draper struggled at times for ruck minutes in the VFL and even spent time as a tall back - This will be magnified with the addition of Lavender - The way the game is heading you shouldn't need more than three pure rucks on an AFL list.

The reality is McKernan needs to do some rucking in the VFL, if he is ever needed for emergency cover in the AFL as a ruck - Fact remains that Draper struggled at times for ruck minutes in the VFL and even spent time as a tall back - This will be magnified with the addition of Lavender - The way the game is heading you shouldn't need more than three pure rucks on an AFL list.
That's good because we only have 3 - Leuey, TBC & Draper

I tend to agree that 5 ruck and ruck/fwd types that are more ruck than fwd is one too many. However realistically Draper and Lavender probably need a year or two to get to the stage where they are real AFL depth. Draper may be closer, its hard to tell.

McKernan is a useful depth option in that - he can slot in as a 2nd or 3rd key forward or in the ruck. He's cheap, he's on the rookie list and you know what you'll get from him.

The issues about ruck time in the VFL might be quite real though. If all 5 ruck options were fit and healthy for 22 games I reckon it would not work all that well but injuries will crop up and I'm not against McKernan and Leuenberger playing more time up forward and developing that area of their games. The good thing is - as we begin to call on our lower rucks it probably means we've got injuries and so naturally they will get more ruck time so will be more ready by the time we need them.

Who knows maybe in time we will be lauding the genius of developing our rucks by playing them up forward a fair bit so when they come in they are useful in both positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back