VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would a bloke with oestitis pubis be taking notes? You know what that is right?

You lose all thrust through your core. It literally limits your ability to move, jump, bend or generate any power at all through your legs. The fact he got as many games out as he did is amazing.

Yes Daniher has been injured. However, even when fully fit in previous years his pressure efforts have been below par. If Daniher brought Smack’s intensity he would be unbelievable.

Why would a bloke with oestitis pubis be taking notes? You know what that is right?

You lose all thrust through your core. It literally limits your ability to move, jump, bend or generate any power at all through your legs. The fact he got as many games out as he did is amazing.

If he wasn't fit enough he wouldn't have been playing as we have plenty of forward line depth.
Joe's problem has been beetween his ears as much as between his legs and he has not shown this season anywhere near the ferocity that McKernan displayed yesterday, "soreness" or not he has been soft, take your Danniher fanboy cap off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon a two year deal on the senior list ( with performance clause to trigger 3rd year) is about right . Word from the club is that he is in fine physical form and can play for a few more years yet.

You keep him on the rookie list as it's an automatic upgrade these days.

Two good games in a row after 9 years of delivering mostly crap? I won't because I'm not. If he produces this consistently I might, but until then I'll maintain that I'm right.

Of course you are right - Struggled to get 50 games and 40 goals in 10 seasons - As a point of comparison, Hooker kicked 41 goals in his one season as a forward.

Statistics don’t reflect what’s happening right now. They represent history.

It doesn’t happen often but players can change, especially when its not a question of talent and athleticism but confidence / feeling like they belong.

Mate, you were adamant he would not do a thing. You abused others for suggesting giving him a shot. Just pull your ego in and admit he might actually be better than you think.
I gave him credit for a good game, and asked him to produce it consistently. Until then I have every right to believe my assertion that he's s**t; like he has been most of his career. This is a typical Essendon response after two good games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, we've very rarely given him a shot as a full time forward with little stints in the ruck. He's pretty much always come in as a last option ruck playing undersized and ends up giving up a bunch of frees and not being able to get into any rhythm through games. I don't think it's a massive surprise that he's been able to contribute more after being put in a much better position to succeed given his skill set.

In my very humble opinion he has predominantly played out of position as a key ruckman.

Play him as a forward with occasional forays into the ruck. Give the guy a long stretch of games and we can see who is right about this argument.

Not that I care one brass razoo who is right. He was one of the main reasons we won last night...doing what he should be doing!

You keep him on the rookie list as it's an automatic upgrade these days.

I firmly think Mckernan’s issues are:

- mental
- being played out of position.

If we gave him a long stretch of games, and a Senior contract say for 2 yrs at $200k pa. His confidence will go through the roof. He needs a show of faith and continuity.

Not that different to other players really....

He has played as a forward before with stints in the ruck. In the past, he has been guilty of hoping he can beat his opponent from a standing start one-on-one. That first mark inside 50 he took yesterday is a great example of exactly what he needs to regularly bring to the table. Lead at the ball, arms out, and he's bloody tough to stop.

He's a strong mark one-on-one, but calling for the long ball plays into smart defenders' (and just as importantly, defences) hands.

I'm hoping he has turned the corner, but I'm really just happy he's been able to have a couple of good weeks back in the AFL. Great for him, but he's just bloody fun to watch.

I firmly think Mckernan’s issues are:

- mental
- being played out of position.

If we gave him a long stretch of games, and a Senior contract say for 2 yrs at $200k pa. His confidence will go through the roof. He needs a show of faith and continuity.

Not that different to other players really....
He is way past being gifted a long stretch of games. Maybe that should have happened a few years back... Now he has to bring the results. He reminds me of Milkshake a bit. Got the attributes but dishes up s**t too often. But Milkshake won some kind of senior selection lottery when drafted and Mckernan didn't.

If he can do a job replacing the gun forward ala Barnard in 2002 after Lloyd missed the same stretch as Hird, I'll be happy. We went 5-2 in that run as well, so a repeat of history would be most welcome!

If he can do a job replacing the gun forward ala Barnard in 2002 after Lloyd missed the same stretch as Hird, I'll be happy. We went 5-2 in that run as well, so a repeat of history would be most welcome!

If he can bob up and kick 4 on GF day ala Barnard, I'll be happy. :thumbsu:

his game on saturday was like the royal wedding- i knew it was going to be something special, but i didn’t realise just how special it was going to be.

He's had something like 12-14 shots on goal in two weeks to go with the, let's call it, 4 shots on goal he's averaged in the last year in the VFL, and we're still quibbling about what he did 4-8 years ago?

What does it matter? He's shown good form all year which would seem to be more than enough to keep him on the list as depth.

Maybe it already clicked for him in 2015 when he was great as a ruck for us. 2016 looked horrible but he struggled with injury all year and then started 2017 playing well again as an undersized ruck. If i remember correctly he kicked 2 goals as a KPF in the only other game he played.

That's the hard part about being in his situation, he's not necessarily going to get the opportunity to prove himself.

C'mon eth, he may not be your cup of tea but there are not many 's**t' players on afl lists. That's a derogatory term for a player wearing our jumper. Maybe tone it down to him being inconsistent or something...
s**t is a relative term. If he walked into my club he would kick 100 goals without an issue. However you cannot deny that most of his games at AFL level have been well below par. Which leads to the term s**t.

Well done to him for doing it two weeks in a row. But I'll stand by my assertion until he can prove it on a consistent basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back