VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Surprised but not upset, mature depth for a position we needed it in. Not expecting he turns the corner with a new club and puts all his potential together but more than happy to be proven wrong.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
With zero interest shown in the trade period then being delisted, it could be the kick he needs to turn it around and become a more useful player. I can't see him turning into a best 22 player but he provides AFL experienced depth in a position we're sorely lacking.

Charliebrow 16

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Federer, Birmingham FC
I'm happy with the selection. Will only get games should we encounter injuries to our forward/ruck stocks. Best case scenario is that he does a full pre-season, impresses the coaching staff and starts to fulfill his potential. Welcome, Shaun!

DaniFletch

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the key here is the "mobility" side. Bellchambers and Giles are not the most mobile ruckmen going around, while Daniher (very mobile) and Carlisle (average mobile) should remain forward, thus leaving a position open for a mobile tall.

I think the key here is the "mobility" side. Bellchambers and Giles are not the most mobile ruckmen going around, while Daniher (very mobile) and Carlisle (average mobile) should remain forward, thus leaving a position open for a mobile tall.
Giles has better mobility than you give credit for. That's always been his strength.

DaniFletch

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Very happy to be proven wrong. I've got him in my starting 22 so I'm even more excited if you are right.

Meh. Will fill a gap for the time being and provide immediate relief should TBC and Giles both go down with injury. Has a pretty slim chance of becoming a part of the future of the club though, although he his of the age where he could have a break out season so who knows.

A safe if somewhat uninspiring selection.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
The obvious advantage McKernan has over the other ruck fodder is versatility so I agree with the selection in that regard. He potentially compliments a best 22 well because he is a forward/ruck and suited to that third tall forward/second ruck position (which would allow us to protect Daniher and Carlisle).

In theory, it's a really good thing for the VFL side to have a genuine forward target and some cover in the ruck.

The obvious question is whether there is a player in that head of his. He seems to have all of the physical tools you could want. I wonder if the change of scenery and return home helps us get the best out of him.

Here is a nice little omen if you will: "Sean" Wellman also had 34 games for the Crows to his name when we recruited him from Adelaide.

Last edited:
Here is a nice little omen if you will: "Sean" Wellman also had 34 games for the Crows to his name when we recruited him from Adelaide.

Now that is a statistic!

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Good pick up.
I think he will get some games based on his own good performances in the VFL next season.
He won't just be a "break in case of emergency" type ruckman if Belly or Giles are unavailable.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Im stoked with this pick up.

Was asking for it for a long time, finally got what i was after.

He may well go onto be nothing and do nothing, but i couldnt say much more about other tall Ruck/Forward prospects.

Hes ideal depth.

Back