Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
The club will do the right thing here.
I'm not against a two year deal based on his performances.
What I am happy about is that essendon used to be a club players left and then went on to have good careers eg houli, Richards etc.
Last few years we've had Mitch brown, Dea, and mckernan all as bargain delisted types who have all gone on to be better than they were when they came to us. Good signs.
Three players mentioned are great value to the club and should be kept, also thought Kelly should have played one more year.

Last night showed his value even though he wasn't out there. If he can be a genuine forward threat and offer even serviceable ruck chop out he becomes one of the more important components of a 2019 side. Better ruck play when Bellchambers rests, Daniher and Stringer more forward time.

Not knowing what the sticking point is with his contract he's a no brainer.

Last night showed his value even though he wasn't out there. If he can be a genuine forward threat and offer even serviceable ruck chop out he becomes one of the more important components of a 2019 side. Better ruck play when Bellchambers rests, Daniher and Stringer more forward time.

Not knowing what the sticking point is with his contract he's a no brainer.

Sticking point is the dollars although we are not talking serious money. As usual we came in with the low ball offer .
What you say is exactly what I was thinking as well. Do not want to see Jake burning himself out playing ruck for half a game ever again.

I still don't understand why we wouldn't just offer 2 years with a trigger for a third and be done with it. We aren't likely to have a ruck/forward on the list in 3 years time who is better than him so why not just lock him in?

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
You just cant offer 2+ years to fringe players, as good as the 6 good games he played this year our priority has to be keeping our younger players.

If an older fringe player gets offered more to go elsewhere we just have to let them go and back in the younger guys.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
You just cant offer 2+ years to fringe players, as good as the 6 good games he played this year our priority has to be keeping our younger players.

If an older fringe player gets offered more to go elsewhere we just have to let them go and back in the younger guys.
Your sentiment is good in general. But for his role, there are literally zero younger players who can play kpf/2nd ruck. Zero. Stringer was doing it ffs. He's not keeping anyone out, and is an absolutely essential signature.

He is no longer a fringe player.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
We finally started to get a tune out of him and he did a pretty solid job covering for one of the best KPF's in the game, as well as removed the need for less-qualified individuals to chance their hand as ruck relief. In 10 consecutive games, he averaged 5.6 marks, 1.6 goals and 8.1 hitouts per game. Put Joe back into that forward line and he becomes more dangerous again IMO. As ant said above too, keeping Stringer and Daniher inside 50 for longer periods can only be a good thing for the team overall.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
De La Salle VAFA
If true brilliant news.

2 yrs for Smack, Lav & Stewy...

Love to see us chase down a Parker & a Shiel and some unsung mature age hard nut nuts + Hind and I reckon we have a top four side ( injury dependant / Daniher & Raz must play whole year)...

Bellchambers has had a great year but it's taken him 10 years to have it, we need more back up and McKernan along with a fit Luey fits the bill.
I think this is a little unfair, Bellchambers' '13 season was really good.

Anyway, really hope Smack's re-signing is imminent.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I think this is a little unfair, Bellchambers' '13 season was really good.

Anyway, really hope Smack's re-signing is imminent.

great season by Tbell, but i'm once bitten twice shy, i'm still always waiting for him to break down. Its not good for the disposition.

Smack is great insurance, or even as a stand alone fwd, a decent get

Bellchambers has had a great year but it's taken him 10 years to have it, we need more back up and McKernan along with a fit Luey fits the bill.

He also beat some very good rucks last season, did fade towards the end of that season but had injuries which I think he had operated on.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
He also beat some very good rucks last season, did fade towards the end of that season but had injuries which I think he had operated on.
I'm a Belly fan, I once flew 2000ks to watch him play in a practice match in Subi against a newbie called Natanui.
I'm more rapped than anyone that he had a good season, but * me, it was like waiting for your son to become a lawyer after serving 13 years nick.

Back