VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Can confirm he's signed on for 2 years. Spoke with his old man today. They're all chuffed.:thumbsu:

Was it looking like he would seriously explore elsewhere?

Im thrilled about this. Worked hard and deserves the reward. Epitomises the improvement of our club.

Smack, Mitch Brown, Stewart, Dea, Hartley, are all players who were discarded by other clubs and who we picked up, pretty much out of necessity.

All of them have come to Essendon and all produced career best form.

Add Smith, Saad and Stringer to that list, and we are becoming a destination too.

Shows how far we have come as a club. We used to be a club players would leave and be better elsewhere, now players come here and hit their peak a la Sydney.

Essendon culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad he got his 2 years. Frankly even if he regresses back to his old level we still need the depth in the key forward/2nd ruck position. I'm going to be optimistic that he can play the same way he did in 2018 for the next few years and form a handy partnership with Daniher.

Disagree. Given what he produced this year, I have no issue with it.
28 year old inconsistent player coming back from a pretty brutal hamstring?

2 years makes absolute no sense unless there was other clubs sniffing around.

Starting 22 R1 next year.
Played great footy this year.
Is the only 2nd ruck we have on the list, excluding Daniher who we don't want to do it.
Is likely to be the only player on our list who can provide adequate cover for TBell as no1 ruck, pending Leuey retirement.
2 years is both deserved and very appropriate.

Last edited:
2 years is totally unquestionably justified irrespective of external interest.

Guy has basically done a massive Bomber apprentiship over last few years.

He has been played out of position as a primary ruckman for a large chunk of time at Bomberland.

This together with the selection panels preference for more fancy forwards has meant before this year he hasnā€™t played more than a couple of games before being dropped, even after performing well or kicking goals he was dropped.

This year given an opportunity to prove himself. He was played over an extended period in a position as permanent forward.

Guess what?

He dominated some games, kicked goals and genuinely won us games.

I wonā€™t deny he has been inconsistent and at times let his emotions effect his concertration and performance.

However to my recollection before this year he never played more than a couple of games in a row before being dumped.

The truth is that he has massive ability however needed to be given a chance to play a few games uninterrupted.

He showed us in his purple patch that he can be as good as any forward in the game today. He can be depended on to hold down the position as full forward. He can take a great pack mark and is a great kick.

Finally after all these years he has a real contract. Great show of faith Bombers.

More importantly great work Smack.

Repay the club and work your arse off now to become an elite player.

Barring injury I expect that he will become a very good consistent player for us.

I firmly believe that he can become one of the best forwards
In the league and would help us become a menacing force.

Picture this, a hard working pack marking straight kicking Smack playing along side the mercurial Daniher with Stringer doing his thing. Tippa and Raz, and Baguley all locking the ball with Lav & Begley switching through there at times. Stewart & Brown to relieve in need.

With the 6x 6 x 6 rules proposed and the bigger goal square a
Smack, Daniher & Stringer combo will be even more potent...

Well done Smack you really deserve it.

Perhaps Smack is a little slow upstairs but thatā€™s ok - he gets it now. Lol.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back