VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Genuinely confusing player. Does a few things that are mercurial but routinely makes the simple look impossible. Loves running under the ball and jumping off two feet. Really need Joe fit as for a bloke whoā€™s almost ruckman sized (average KPP player size once adjusted for neck), heā€™s a terrible bail out kick down the line option.

Very lucky we have nobody else at his position

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
tenor.gif

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Great game. I will be interested to see how he handles more responsibility for the rest of the season. I think Shaun will do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
think I've finally figured out why he is so fickle - bare with me

I think his actual marking style is right on the edge, his arms are pretty much straight up above his head, like at 11.59pm on the clock - when he marks it, he clunks it and no one will reach it, but because of that there is zero margin for error...

if he gets pressured from behind or slightly mistimes it.. its gone past 12 midnight and he's under the ball.

if you mark out in front of your face you have more chances to adjust for flight, pressure from behind, soft hands ect

I reckon this simple thing goes along way to explaining his career to date, confidence player, fraught technique, runs under it once, loses confidence, game over - marks one, confidence rides, game on.. Repeat for a career

just my theory, im Malcolm Blight

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
And now for something completely different
View attachment 699743

Ha... tbf there is 17 years between them, they could be father and son.

think I've finally figured out why he is so fickle - bare with me

I think his actual marking style is right on the edge, his arms are pretty much straight up above his head, like at 11.59pm on the clock - when he marks it, he clunks it and no one will reach it, but because of that there is zero margin for error...

if he gets pressured from behind or slightly mistimes it.. its gone past 12 midnight and he's under the ball.

if you mark out in front of your face you have more chances to adjust for flight, pressure from behind, soft hands ect

I reckon this simple thing goes along way to explaining his career to date, confidence player, fraught technique, runs under it once, loses confidence, game over - marks one, confidence rides, game on.. Repeat for a career

just my theory, im Malcolm Blight

I actually donā€™t think his marking is very hot and cold. Itā€™s bloody good, he has great hands.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Genuinely confusing player. Does a few things that are mercurial but routinely makes the simple look impossible. Loves running under the ball and jumping off two feet. Really need Joe fit as for a bloke whoā€™s almost ruckman sized (average KPP player size once adjusted for neck), heā€™s a terrible bail out kick down the line option.

Very lucky we have nobody else at his position
Alright who do you guys want me to fire up this week? Frang, Fridge?

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the only thing holding him back the last couple of years has been injuries.

When he is fit and has a couple
Of games under his belt heā€™s generally good and reasonably reliable.

Back