VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
Ha... tbf there is 17 years between them, they could be father and son.

I actually donā€™t think his marking is very hot and cold. Itā€™s bloody good, he has great hands.

His hands are great but he often misreads it and runs under it, so doesnā€™t get a chance to use them. That said itā€™s nice to have one forward who likes to play in front!

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Letā€™s not forget the time when Goldstein absolutely destroyed Smack, like, game changing dominated.

The only issue is I sincerely donā€™t think we can play Clarke again...

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Letā€™s not forget the time when Goldstein absolutely destroyed Smack, like, game changing dominated.

The only issue is I sincerely donā€™t think we can play Clarke again...

To be fair itā€™s a different Goldstein different Smack.

2k fine for striking

Essendon forward/ruck Shaun McKernan has been charged with striking Sydneyā€™s Jordan Dawson in the Bombersā€™ 10-point victory over the Swans at the MCG on Saturday.

McKernan can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea after the fourth-quarter incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact and high contact.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
That's fair enough since he clearly tried to pull up and minimise the contact. Also I don't reckon it hurt his chances that he immediately apologised after the incident. I know that shouldn't count for anything but somehow I reckon it does.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Wouldn't say needs as much as he is primed to reap some heavy rewards. I suppose he could owe that to himself.

He's been really good since he returned this year.

He's locked down the second tall forward role for the foreseeable future.
It's more for me than him ;)

So Shaun has been playing at AFL level now for 11 seasons, and believe it or not:

a) in six seasons at Adelaide he never once played against Essendon
b) before last night, in five seasons at Essendon he had never once played against Adelaide

Finally he broke that trend last night, and ended up on the right side of the ledger to boot. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Lifted big time after quarter time. Thought he was important for us - Iā€™m going to give him a vote in the MVP.
It might have sort of snuck up on us, but he is now pretty damn reliable on A per-game basis, churning out good game on good game, really when weā€™ve really needed it due to the injury curse. Onya Horse!

Hate to be ā€œthat guyā€ but I noticed something about him today that I really donā€™t like. Twice when it was a GC free kick McKernan stood over the ball and stopped it being passed back to the free kick taker. On one hand itā€™s smart, but itā€™s really a bit of a dick move.

Anyway, played well and hope he pulls up fine for next week.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hate to be ā€œthat guyā€ but I noticed something about him today that I really donā€™t like. Twice when it was a GC free kick McKernan stood over the ball and stopped it being passed back to the free kick taker. On one hand itā€™s smart, but itā€™s really a bit of a dick move.

I noticed it too. Not a dick move IMO but a little silly as he could easily give a 50 away doing it.

Standard operating procedure. Every opposition player will do it.

The part that was dumb was that he knocked it along the ground, which could have been paid 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back