Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his favourite beverage is a nice big cup of his own bath water.
Why do you say that, because he is a confident kid. Seems very grounded on many levels with a bit of a mischievous side. Very early to be criticising a young player who struggled in one of the worst games I have seen. He is being played out of position in my book. Killed it at half back and would be far better on a wing than Graham but being asked to play half forward.

Why do you say that, because he is a confident kid. Seems very grounded on many levels with a bit of a mischievous side. Very early to be criticising a young player who struggled in one of the worst games I have seen. He is being played out of position in my book. Killed it at half back and would be far better on a wing than Graham but being asked to play half forward.
Has had 11 disposals in 2 games most players would be crucified for that

Has had 11 disposals in 2 games most players would be crucified for that
I don't think you can quote over 2 games as they have been months in between. Stack is not your average young player coming in. He will be a gun but right now he is learning a new roll so has to be cut some slack. (14 not 11 disposals).

I don't think you can quote over 2 games as they have been months in between. Stack is not your average young player coming in. He will be a gun but right now he is learning a new roll so has to be cut some slack. (14 not 11 disposals).
Had 7 in round 1 and 4 on Thursday night

Supremely skilled player, not worried at all, when he has had similar time to Shai Bolton at the club, we will see Stacky break-out into a consistent gun IMO.
Until then I expect ups and downs, there are no miracles in AFL (Rowell notwithstanding,,,,?!)
In which case he should take a spell at vfl like Bolton did , he’s nowhere near the level right now , even more so the standard we set being a qty side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats next ? Green hair ? A prince albert ?

needs to play reserves for 7 weeks and show that he wants it

Rubbish, the kids a bit of an extroverted, a gem, we knew that when we took him. He is work in progress, you don't break the spirit like you do a horse, you channel it, sure you corral it at times, and you set it loose at other times. Dimma is across that well and truly. If he is fit enough and mind in the right place, you coach him through!

Last edited:
I posted this in the Rioli thread. Stack did some good work at times that the likes of Bolton benefitted from. He also could have got a similar free kick to Bolton when Bolton goaled in the same passage of play and would surely have goaled. Stack was grabbed and pulled down and held down without the ball as Bolton was being tackled. Also watching the replay I noticed in the second term as Richmond were ramping up the physical pressure, Stack tried to run through Moore and came off second best and this may have slowed him down a bit.

One possible glaring error he may have made was not manning Sidebottom up 30 out in defence when Sidebottom goaled in the first. It was a bit hard to tell who should have been on him but Stack was about the closest at the time. We were asleep with our set up at a couple of those stoppages and it is something I am sure the team will iron out quickly. I think this is possibly an area of weakness for these fantastic aboriginal players we picked up last year - Pickett and Stack - the positioning when in fluid situations and it is not obvious who you need to account for. And I think we have to accept that at this stage from two very instinctive, tough and skilful players who have been in our system for 19 games(as a 19yo) and 3 games respectively.

Stack showed last year he has no trouble finding the ball when right, as he averaged 17 possessions per match. So he is either struggling to find it now because he is a bit off his best, or because his role is not allowing him to get near the ball so much. The club will know, and if it is the former he will do some time out of the team. But if as I suspect it is the latter, he will be fine and will start bobbing up with some more eye catching play in turn. We must remember he is having to negotiate an extremely tricky phase in both his own career(being asked to master new and difficult roles) and the footy world in general(with the stop/start season.)

OK, this bloke got a really good mention from Hardwick on SEN. Hardwick said Stack has been going through the midfield at the lower level and has looked very exciting, very much like Bolton, and they would love to get him back into the side at some stage. He also mentioned Dow and Collier-Dawkins and said they will get an opportunity at some stage. Wondering if we may see Sydney again this week....

OK, this bloke got a really good mention from Hardwick on SEN. Hardwick said Stack has been going through the midfield at the lower level and has looked very exciting, very much like Bolton, and they would love to get him back into the side at some stage. He also mentioned Dow and Collier-Dawkins and said they will get an opportunity at some stage. Wondering if we may see Sydney again this week....
this is gold, thank you. thought that might be the case, we need to boost our midfield stocks.

Don't think there's a spot for him atm. Maybe if Astbury doesn't get up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back