Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course I don't trust him. Why would anyone? His first pre season he came back unfit and unprofessional. That had nothing to do with Covid. Normal circumstances.

Yes there was Covid restrictions last year but that doesn't excuse breaching quarantine orders, lying to police about his whereabouts and then getting picked up in a fight where he wasn't supposed to be.
To black and white for me, plenty of excuses as 200+ pages of argument seems to indicaate. Of course there was an excuse for coming in underprepared in 2020 season, training was done mostly on their own and later in small groups. Many young players had very average 2020 seasons because the old pro's knew what to do, the young ones were obviously disadvantaged unless they were like Smith and Walsh who had AFL discipline since they could walk. Lying to police, gee no young kid has ever done that before.

Anyway, each to their own, down the track he may or may not be a model citizen, but neither was Dusty seemingly when he started. Hopefully he follows Dusty's example, time will tell.

Stacky would be mad to even want to leave. RFC has what? 8-9 Indigenous brothers on a list of 40 odd. 20%+ Surely the most in the comp. Maybe even ever. Now I'm not naive enough to think they'd all be BFF's just because they're indigenous. It actually seems they do all strive at the club together.

Having the KGI there and Bolton signing on again certainly doesn't hurt the cause of retaining him.

Of course I don't trust him. Why would anyone? His first pre season he came back unfit and unprofessional. That had nothing to do with Covid. Normal circumstances.

Yes there was Covid restrictions last year but that doesn't excuse breaching quarantine orders, lying to police about his whereabouts and then getting picked up in a fight where he wasn't supposed to be.
The whole "came back unit in his first off season" is a complete lie. I watched the team up on the Gold coast at preseason training and stack was in perfect physical condition. Zero fat, slightly muscled.
Talk about "trust". Personally, I couldn't care less. I'd rather have the best available players. The fact that Stack is being selected indicates the club think the reward outweigh the risk.
A little more attention to his flight movements across the country and half the problem solved. DSC00143.JPG

Last edited:

To black and white for me, plenty of excuses as 200+ pages of argument seems to indicaate. Of course there was an excuse for coming in underprepared in 2020 season, training was done mostly on their own and later in small groups. Many young players had very average 2020 seasons because the old pro's knew what to do, the young ones were obviously disadvantaged unless they were like Smith and Walsh who had AFL discipline since they could walk. Lying to police, gee no young kid has ever done that before.

Anyway, each to their own, down the track he may or may not be a model citizen, but neither was Dusty seemingly when he started. Hopefully he follows Dusty's example, time will tell.
Returning to training after the COVID isolation, apparently stack wasn't fit and was looking like Biggie smalls.
I can't confirm or deny

he doesn't have to be a model citizen but from here on we'd expect not so see him gettign arrested, getting into fights, getting fined, turning up to pre season unfit etc. etc. He's had his mulligans, time to pull his head in regardless of his upbringing, Covid or any other excuses. To his credit he looks to have cut out all the social media BS, so that's a start.

The whole "came back unit in his first off season" is a complete lie. I watched the team up on the Gold coast at preseason training and stack was in perfect physical condition. Zero fat, slightly muscled.
Talk about "trust". Personally, I couldn't care less. I'd rather have the best available players. The fact that Stack is being selected indicates the club think the reward outweigh the risk.
A little more attention to his flight movements across the country and half the problem solved.
No it's not. Dimma said himself he came back in poor shape. He was regularly last by a long way in the time trials. It was a stark drop off to what he showed in his first pre season. That's not up for debate.

Yeah but it took him 5 months to get his fitness level up to standard. We can't afford to nurse him to expected fitness for the first few months of every season.

He's doing all the right things atm. The real test will come in the off season. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Returning to training after the COVID isolation, apparently stack wasn't fit and was looking like Biggie smalls.
I can't confirm or deny
Well he played unfit so I doubt he was. Not everyone did the isolation training required, some people and I bet Stack was one of them, need the group to get going. That is not unusual for a 20 year old, and plenty of young players were in similar shape.

Rioli for one came back underdone, and looked slow and unfit. Jordan Clarke from Geelong looked a ripper in 2019, was worse than Stack in 20 and has struggled since. Plenty of other young players the same. I have a son the same age and I know first hand how hard Covid was on his discipline levels. Better this year, a year older.

he doesn't have to be a model citizen but from here on we'd expect not so see him gettign arrested, getting into fights, getting fined, turning up to pre season unfit etc. etc. He's had his mulligans, time to pull his head in regardless of his upbringing, Covid or any other excuses. To his credit he looks to have cut out all the social media BS, so that's a start.

No it's not. Dimma said himself he came back in poor shape. He was regularly last by a long way in the time trials. It was a stark drop off to what he showed in his first pre season. That's not up for debate.

Yeah but it took him 5 months to get his fitness level up to standard. We can't afford to nurse him to expected fitness for the first few months of every season.
Talking this year, thought you were talking 2020 preseason. But it is still the same situation. No group training which some people need. Not everyone is Kane Lambert. We've seen photos of players coming back fat after the layoff, Motlop for one. Yes he was a bit of a party boy, plenty are at that stage, but mucking up and getting into a fight doesn't always land you in the nick for 3 weeks just ask Shai Bolton.

WA and Covid and no settled home life was a massive hurdle for Stack. No excuses you say, how would you know. Better to agree to disagree and forget this argument, as I have said, it was debated ad nauseum for months.

And what makes you think he is going to do it every year. He was in WA for 5 months due to the WA Govt court ruling and sentencing rules. As I said in my original post, too Tough Tiger.

Talking this year, thought you were talking 2020 preseason. But it is still the same situation. No group training which some people need. Not everyone is Kane Lambert. We've seen photos of players coming back fat after the layoff, Motlop for one. Yes he was a bit of a party boy, plenty are at that stage, but mucking up and getting into a fight doesn't always land you in the nick for 3 weeks just ask Shai Bolton.

WA and Covid and no settled home life was a massive hurdle for Stack. No excuses you say, how would you know. Better to agree to disagree and forget this argument, as I have said, it was debated ad nauseum for months.

And what makes you think he is going to do it every year. He was in WA for 5 months due to the WA Govt court ruling and sentencing rules. As I said in my original post, too Tough Tiger.
I'm hoping he doesn't, otherwise he'll be throwing a career away. At some stage we'd have to cut the cord if the trend continues. As I said the signs are good so far, we shall see how he comes back early next year.

He is one of my favorite players by the way.

Hope he signs on. Love this bloke.
Absolute talent
He has very little options but to sign and just a matter of for how much and how long

He would struggle to find 1 team out there that would give him over $200k and most would only take his as a delisted free agent on min coin
he has not done alot since coming back until last week , He has been good but nothing special

Stack needs Richmond more than Richmond needs Stack. Needs to look 15 lockers down and aim to get to that level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has very little options but to sign and just a matter of for how much and how long

He would struggle to find 1 team out there that would give him over $200k and most would only take his as a delisted free agent on min coin
he has not done alot since coming back until last week , He has been good but nothing special

Stack needs Richmond more than Richmond needs Stack. Needs to look 15 lockers down and aim to get to that level
I disagree, after the game vs freo that would’ve pricked a lot of if not all oppo’s ears

I disagree, after the game vs freo that would’ve pricked a lot of if not all oppo’s ears
There is no denying his game but his off field issue's will have clubs scared off and not prepared to risk having issue's and with soft cap cuts the resources to deal with that.

He has played 1 good games since his return and that to be is not enough to change opinions outside of Richmond
As i mentioned in a previous post a 2 year deal at $200k with an option of a 3rd at $400k provided he hits 35 games is the best for both SS and Richmond

While I want to keep and re-sign him, the cautious crowd is correct. He still has some things to prove such as can he behave himself in the off season and come back to the required standard.

The signs are good but his biggest test will always be away from the club not during the normal season.

I think an end of 2023 extension would be wise.

There is no denying his game but his off field issue's will have clubs scared off and not prepared to risk having issue's and with soft cap cuts the resources to deal with that.

He has played 1 good games since his return and that to be is not enough to change opinions outside of Richmond
As i mentioned in a previous post a 2 year deal at $200k with an option of a 3rd at $400k provided he hits 35 games is the best for both SS and Richmond
For the clubs sake that’s a great deal but I think he’s worth more…

although I 100% agree it should be an incentive contract just averaging more than 200k a year
More like 350-400

You are aware that since Stack has come back he has been living with a host family and seems to have not put a foot wrong. A stable family environment is what he needs not someone like Grimes who while a great bloke is generation older and from a whole different lifestyle.

You have to back young people to be themselves and make their own decisions not get 'looked after'. More likely to react to that. You want him to join the brotherhood thing that the club has, and with Bolton signing, Rioli now not going anywhere, Mansell coming on board, there is a brotherhood of success growing amongst those young kids at the club. Hopefully Ross, RCD, CCCJ, Dow etc. and all the others are in that group as well.
You are aware that since Stack has come back he has been living with a host family and seems to have not put a foot wrong.

This is my point exactly, it's the structure that comes with training, a host family, responsibilities to people other than himself.... He's been great, but my point is, if we let him do his own thing (move out of host family, go back to WA for prolonged period etc.) it's when it all goes to sh*t... thats what I am trying to avoid...

A stable family environment is what he needs not someone like Grimes who while a great bloke is generation older and from a whole different lifestyle.

Are you saying Grimes doesn't have a stable environment? Married, running a business while being a professional footballer, I would say that's pretty stable... It would also allow him to learn to transition for relying on a host family, to being taught by a peer in how to do it himself!

For the clubs sake that’s a great deal but I think he’s worth more…

although I 100% agree it should be an incentive contract just averaging more than 200k a year
More like 350-400
If we are paying Stack 350k-400k a year we should shut up shop

he has played a total of 30 games with probably half decent all whilst costing the club and having suspensions
Stack at this moment is not worthy of that kind of cash

If we are paying Stack 350k-400k a year we should shut up shop

he has played a total of 30 games with probably half decent all whilst costing the club and having suspensions
Stack at this moment is not worthy of that kind of cash
Yeah you’re probably right.. I was kinda going off the afl average wage which is around 300-320k from memory and obviously I think stack is way better than the average player but yeah he hasn’t earned the right for that yet

I find most of what you said to be crap and off the mark. Give the kid a break.

You are aware that since Stack has come back he has been living with a host family and seems to have not put a foot wrong.

This is my point exactly, it's the structure that comes with training, a host family, responsibilities to people other than himself.... He's been great, but my point is, if we let him do his own thing (move out of host family, go back to WA for prolonged period etc.) it's when it all goes to sh*t... thats what I am trying to avoid...

A stable family environment is what he needs not someone like Grimes who while a great bloke is generation older and from a whole different lifestyle.

Are you saying Grimes doesn't have a stable environment? Married, running a business while being a professional footballer, I would say that's pretty stable... It would also allow him to learn to transition for relying on a host family, to being taught by a peer in how to do it himself!
I think we can agree on the first point.

Regarding Grimes, good bloke young family, what sort of 21 year old wants to bunker down there. He's not a kid that needs looking after, he's an adult that got stuck in a situation that spiralled. Transition by all means, but you don't want to wrap him in cotton wool, he's not an idiot as a lot of his team mates attest to. Let him make his own decisions, as long as the club is aware of them fine.

I find most of what you said to be crap and off the mark. Give the kid a break.
I really dont care what you think and dont think i need to give him a break as he doesnt give a flying F what you or i say
its an opinion and if you dont like it either use the ignore option or keep your crap where it belongs

I really dont care what you think and dont think i need to give him a break as he doesnt give a flying F what you or i say
its an opinion and if you dont like it either use the ignore option or keep your crap where it belongs
He has little options….
Struggle to find one club…..
You’re talking s**t!
Stack would be snapped up in no time if we didn’t offer him a contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back