Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his fitness is probably okay about now, or would be if he hadn't missed a few weeks with covid protocols then not played deep forward. Yes he was behind the pack months ago, but by now if he had not missed with covid and been played wing or half back his fitness would be fine. I doubt very much that there is any thought of delisting him right now, round 4. That may change by round 20, but no way you put a line through such a talented player this early in the season.
Report from Morris on the weekend VFL game on the club website
"Sydney had an interrupted preparation for the game, but tried really hard and had a really classy finish in the last quarter on the back of great defence."
just doesn’t seem to be getting a decent run at it, always something hindering him for whatever reason

I don't reckon anyone else will give him that chance tbh

100% agree now or never with him understand his background issues and covid issues last year , but we make to much excuses for him the simple fact is every preseason he has rocked up unfit , talent is there without a doubt not sure the professionalism.

100% agree now or never with him understand his background issues and covid issues last year , but we make to much excuses for him the simple fact is every preseason he has rocked up unfit , talent is there without a doubt not sure the professionalism.

I reckon he's one of those guys that the penny drops somewhere in their mid 20s. Seen it a few times, dead set losers that suddenly wake up, get a degree or whatever and suddenly are doing really well. Just like a light goes off. Hope so anyway.

It's round 4 and people are righting him off. He may not be getting it much at the moment but his attitude was really good on the weekend. Bizarre attitude.
Some people maybe, most just being realistic around Stack, it's played out the same way every year so far...

Which I think we are all disappointed about, because everyone can see the talent.

But those playing him down I think are just providing the counter argument to those showing blind faith and trying to get him in the team when clearly the MC at the moment don't thnk so.

Some people maybe, most just being realistic around Stack, it's played out the same way every year so far...

Which I think we are all disappointed about, because everyone can see the talent.

But those playing him down I think are just providing the counter argument to those showing blind faith and trying to get him in the team when clearly the MC at the moment don't thnk so.
Fair enough up to a point. He came back in October a bit under. That's a long time ago. He may not have the natural fitness that others have but the two matches he missed in the last month due to covid have something to do with his lack of preparation. The last VFL practice match, 5 weeks ago he and Pickett were out best according to watchers. He played on the wing in that match before going forward. Since the he has been played forward, mainly deep forward.

It is hard to play that role, talent or no talent unless you are Eddy Betts. So whilst his performances in the VFL have been average, not sure that it is all his fault, and certainly not like the previous years where covid put paid to that, (not that he helped himself).

Just think round 4 is a bit early to be making any judgement about any talented player especially in regard to being delisted in 5 months time.

Last edited:
i reckon a Gold Coast would ....
no chance.... given the past behavioural issues, GC wouldn't go near him...

Lets not forget everyone, including us, passed on him in the draft, and that wasn't due to his talent levels, to see that similar issues have still occurred even at club land, and I think other clubs would describe our culture and environment as strong and supportive, I couldn't see them changing their mind.

Talent has never been his issue.

If someone was to try, I would possibly guess the WA clubs at a stretch

Highly unlikely the club would let go of one its best young talents on the list

would be irresponsible of the clubs list management team & simply them not doing their job
I agree somewhat, but at what point does that responsibility lie with the player to show that talent on the field, because at the moment, it's certainly not the club holding him back...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he kills it tomorrow. Can think of at least 6 blokes playing seniors that he could easily replace. We need some genuine hardness in our forward line to intimidate opposition and lock it in. It's just coming straight back out this year.

Highly unlikely the club would let go of one its best young talents on the list

would be irresponsible of the clubs list management team & simply them not doing their job
I'd give him one more year, simply because our next gen could really use another potential star. But thatd be it for me. If the 2022/23 preason isn't the one where he works his ass off and becomes a professional AFL player he has to go.

He's got 18 months.

Hopefully he kills it tomorrow. Can think of at least 6 blokes playing seniors that he could easily replace. We need some genuine hardness in our forward line to intimidate opposition and lock it in. It's just coming straight back out this year.

24 disposals, 3 goals 2 behinds, 4 tackles 4 clearances

Looked a lot more like the real Sydney Stack today, won big contests and used it well. Looked a cut above when around the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back