Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

And if he doesn't you'll be all over him I imagine.
Fu@$en A I will be. RCD was a first round pick who has delivered nothing. People forget all the experts were saying in Stacks first year at about round 16 that he was a shoe in for the rising star and better than Walsh before he got injured. His next year was disappointing. Last year he had the worst lead in with jail and no preseason but by the time he made the seniors he was in the best every single week. Must be played over half the pretenders who got a game tonight!

Thought Sydney was our best player again, if not BOG. Very strong in contests and against outnumbers.

I am sure he plays AFL soon he is just too good not to.
Good footy is irrelevant. Is he "being professional enough"?.

Good footy is irrelevant. Is he "being professional enough"?.

I am sure the club knows what it is doing with Stack. And I am sure they are communicating clearly to him what he needs to do. He looks fully engaged on field so it is not like he is disenchanted with not being selected. There is no doubts at all about his ability to win and use the ball, but as we know players who can’t reach a certain level with their defensive running can be completely exploited at AFL level. It is hard to imagine any other reason Stack is not in the team right now but having watched him closely in each game this season I would think his elevation is getting close.

I am sure the club knows what it is doing with Stack. And I am sure they are communicating clearly to him what he needs to do. He looks fully engaged on field so it is not like he is disenchanted with not being selected. There is no doubts at all about his ability to win and use the ball, but as we know players who can’t reach a certain level with their defensive running can be completely exploited at AFL level. It is hard to imagine any other reason Stack is not in the team right now but having watched him closely in each game this season I would think his elevation is getting close.
Dusty Martin only runs one way and was the best player in the comp for 5 years.

You can cover offensive minded players with other defensive runners for balance.

The team could really use some talented ball use and creativity right now, as well as a guy with a bit of aggressive toughness at the contest.

Dusty Martin only runs one way and was the best player in the comp for 5 years.

You can cover offensive minded players with other defensive runners for balance.

The team could really use some talented ball use and creativity right now, as well as a guy with a bit of aggressive toughness at the contest.
THere are players who play defence and ones who put offensive preasure on teams. I agree and have been singing it from the rooftops.

We need his spark and nouse...... the biggest upside of our small players bar and close to bolton.

I watched a highlights package of his first season and wow, I had forgotten just how good it was.

The time is now, he has been staring in the vfl for weeks, doing all the right things, we know his upside, the time to get him in is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got upside, but I just don't think he's fit enough yet. Won 8 clearances on the weekend, but his first quarter was by far his best.

Aarts: 21 disposals, 10 tackles, 4 clearances
Martyn: 15 disposals, 10 tackles, 1 clearance
Stack: 17 disposals, 4 tackles, 8 clearances

Maybe I don't value him highly enough as an inside mid, but if people want him in the team then based on these numbers it has to be as a centre-square player.

He certainly has not.

His attitude has been deplorable.
Yeah fair enough, I went back and checked the vfl reports and he isn't doing as well as I had thought.

Anyway...
The time is now, he has been staring in the vfl for week, doing all the right things, we know his upside, the time to get him in is now.

Sydney Stack

R1 Vs Southport
11 Disposals, 2 Goals, 4 Marks, 3 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 2 Inside 50s, 67 VFL Ranking Points

R2 Vs Sandringham
N/A

R3 Vs Footscray
10 Disposals, 1 Goal, 2 Marks, 1 Tackle, 1 Clearance, 1 Inside 50, 34 VFL Ranking Points

R4 vs Carlton
23 Disposals, 3 Goals, 6 Marks, 4 Tackles, 4 Clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 106 VFL Ranking Points

R5 vs Casey
17 Disposals, 1 Goal, 1 Mark, 4 Tackles, 8 Clearances, 0 Inside 50s, 63 VFL Ranking Points

15.25 Disposals a game
1.75 Goals a game
3.25 Marks a game
3 Tackles a game
3.5 Clearences a game
1.75 Inside 50s a game
67.5 VFL Ranking Points a game

Last edited:
Yeah fair enough, I went back and checked the vfl reports and he isn't doing as well as I had thought.

Anyway...
The time is now, he has been staring in the vfl for week, doing all the right things, we know his upside, the time to get him in is now.

Make no mistake, Stack’s last 2 matches he has looked outstanding against VFL opposition. His first two matches were quieter then he had a covid enforced break. No doubt his fitness is building and as soon as it gets to the required level he would have to be straight in. He plays a different game to everyone else, runs in straight lines, lightning reactions, can impact in the air or on the ground, strong and tough, and superb ball user.

Not many clubs would have a $200k player that if they scraped finals could be unleashed and potentially make a big impact. We have a few under-exposed big game danger men. Balta if we can work out how to use him, Bolton, and Stack. And a certain D Martin. And Pickett was flying before the hamstring injury. Grimes and Lambert likely to step back into the team. Vlastuin looking in fine order.

The season isn’t over for the club by any means. And we shouldn't write Stack off either. Every time I see him play near his best he makes me think of story of The Man From Snowy River. And when it comes to the final test of strength, courage, and skill, we will definitely want young Sydney along for the ride. 😁

wakey wakey coaching staff
This. It would be an absolute tragedy if we lost stacky at the end of the year because the coaching staff didn't reward his form and played others a head of him on reputation. You don't have to be half a decent all brain to realise he is super talented...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back