Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Stack, Bakers best position is across HB, that's the problem with constantly picking up HBFs in the drafts, eventually you get too many at the club and can't fit them all in to their best role, which means you have to start developing them in other roles, which leads to some players going backwards.
Baker was a small forward when we drafted him, Stack was a midfielder.

Doesnt help when they put one paced midfield plodders like Martyn there instead who was drafted as a midfiielder.
Martyn is doing well at half-back. Playing the Vlastuin role. He's too slow to be an AFL midfielder so we try him somewhere else.

He’s not a forward.
He's a footballer. Sure looked good in the forward line today.

They're footballers, guys. Some of you act like playing a bloke in a different position is akin to asking a bus driver to fly a plane.

Baker was a small forward when we drafted him, Stack was a midfielder.
I get they were drafted in other positions, but when we keep moving guys to the HB line, along side guys who were drafted as HBF, eventually you run out of positions to fit everyone in.

I still reckon Stack's best footy has been at HBF, but at least he's had experience in multiple roles which should bode well for his development.

If they do keep him on another year, I hope they settle him in one position over the preseason.

I get they were drafted in other positions, but when we keep moving guys to the HB line, along side guys who were drafted as HBF, eventually you run out of positions to fit everyone in.
Stack was picked in the WA state side as a HBF but I seem to remember he did not play due to his poor attitude

Stack was picked in the WA state side as a HBF but I seem to remember he did not play due to his poor attitude
Stack was dropped for the first game due to discipline reason (training from memory) but played the other two as a midfielder. Not a bad effort to make the AA side playing just 2 of 3.

We keep moving guys to the HB line because it's a good place to learn how to play football. Or in Rioli's case, get a new lease on life.

Why I laughed when someone suggested we trial RCD at half back.
We have 300 HB flankers.

Sadly, he's wasting our time and e are wasting time on him that could be better utilised on developing kids.
Well he's running around in the VFL what would you prefer, he went and played for Croyden.

He is a player on the list who just played a pretty decent game. Plenty of footballers who have not succeeded at one club for one reason or another have gone on to become good footballers elsewhere. You are writing off a player who can play, he has not been awful up at AFL level, unfit but not awful. He may or may not make it, but it is half way through a season coming off a 25 disposal game where he used the ball well, had 5 tackles and 7 clearnance game. He probably played his best game for about 8 weeks and you reduce all that too 'he's wasting our time'.

Did u watch yesterday? He wanted all day right up until the final siren
Best game for the year easily
Yes i did watch , yes best game for the year
But that is setting the bar extremely low as its been a bloody s**t year from stack

Now go look at where Coburg are on the VFL ladder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that is setting the bar extremely low as its been a bloody s**t year from stack

Then how do you say he doesn’t want it enough after watching yesterday when clearly he wanted it

Yeah I agree his year has been ultra disappointing but surely you can give him credit for playing a good game yesterday and having hope that his fitness is finally up to scratch and maybe his head is in the right place now

Carlton were undefeated on top when Stack had 23 disposals and three goals in what was actually his best game for the year.

He's going through a growth spurt.

Carlton were undefeated on top when Stack had 23 disposals and three goals in what was actually his best game for the year.

He's going through a growth spurt.
Reckon he was better yesterday
Hit the ball at pace, 1 touch pick ups below his knees, so clean
Still pressuring and tackling in dying mins of 4th Q
Really hope like hell this continues cos we all know his talent

Imagine a peak Stack, MRJ and Bolton in the forward line 🥰🎉🥳

Last edited:
Reckon he was better yesterday
Hit the ball at pace, 1 touch pick ups below his knees, so clean
Still pressuring and tackling in dying mins of 4th Q
Really hope like hell this continues cos we all know his talent

Imagine a peak Stack, MRJ and Bolton in the forward line 🥰🎉🥳
We're actually crying out for Stack to come good as a small forward. Ralphsmith and Clarke are good young players, but small forward isn't either of those two kids' best role. They're just plugging holes atm.

We're actually crying out for Stack to come good as a small forward. Ralphsmith and Clarke are good young players, but small forward isn't either of those two kids' best role. They're just plugging holes atm.
100%.
Stack is a genuine gun when fully fit and mind on the job
Just look at 2019 highlights, he’s stupidly good

100%.
Stack is a genuine gun when fully fit and mind on the job
Just look at 2019 highlights, he’s stupidly good
We have a few players in the side that are pure one touch players that rarely, if ever, fumble. Stack, Bolton and Baker are among them, they just never fumble, and should always be in the side for that reason, as all have great attacking flair. Just imo

Did u watch yesterday? He wanted it all day right up until the final siren
Best game for the year easily
My only issue is why does it take him so long to build into a season.

If he can’t perform, train and come back in good shape consistently then I doubt we keep him another year.

So so much talent.

My only issue is why does it take him so long to build into a season.

If he can’t perform, train and come back in good shape consistently then I doubt we keep him another year.

So so much talent.
Yep he’s a unique individual that’s for sure.
I wish I had the answers mate, just hoping that it’s finally clicked for him and flourish’s from here on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back