Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

He really has not done anything apart from a couple of decent VFL games at a much lower level against the weaker sides like Coburg
thats just it he has not done much and he should be dominating that level every week.

Done Nothing
Yes, he ain't a forward but for some reason he is being made to play there. I can't ever recall seeing a player played out of position for so long unless they are like Martyn, most likely delisted. Stack is in my eyes a 'potentially' elite half back, better than both Baker and Rioli. But we may now never know, until he does it at another club. I'd love to know the clubs rationale.

Last edited:
Yes, he ain't a forward but for some reason he is being made to play there. I can't ever recall seeing a player played out of position for so long unless they are like Martyn, most likely delisted. Stack is in my eyes a 'potentially' elite half back, better than both Baker and Rioli. But we may now never know, until he does it at another club. I'd love to know the clubs rationale.
i dont know how you draw that conclusion better than baker and rioli when his senior appearances post 2019 have shown nothing like that , I agree that he prob should have been given an opportunity likely ahead of MRJ and george too but i have reservations where his ceiling is exactly

i dont know how you draw that conclusion better than baker and rioli when his senior appearances post 2019 have shown nothing like that , I agree that he prob should have been given an opportunity likely ahead of MRJ and george too but i have reservations where his ceiling is exactly
I did say potentially. Stack in 2019 was destined for stardom, nobody I can remember at Richmond put in a first season like that. He has every trait to be a great footballer, skill, hardness, pace, marking, great user of the ball and an elite mover. Then along came covid and that has been covered to death.

Last year after only two months back in at the club he was our best or second best player late in the season across half back. So this was the season where he was set to rebound. Let himself down a bit by coming in a bit behind the pack but plenty of time to fix that. Forward pocket for the rest of the year. Hard to be a better half back than Rioli and Baker when you don't play there.

He had a crack at the small forward and failed rounds 8 & 9, because he is not a small forward and never will be no matter how much they say he might be.

What exactly has he done that would turn clubs away in the last 14 months he has been back at the club. He came back with less fitness than he should have, not exactly Motlop rolly polly, but under where he should have been.

Since May last year that is it, thanks to the WA legal system and Covid not allowing him back earlier, he got back into the side 2 months later and was our best/second player one game late in the season, as a half back.

The club has played him exclusively forward this entire season and guess what it hasn't worked. Who's fault is that SS I suppose. Clubs would be mad not to plonk him on the rookie list and let him play his natural game across half back, they would have nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

Unless there is some sort of personality conflict which I guess none of us outside the club walls would know about, then he would be itching to leave the way he has been coached and utilised this year.
And how do you know that he isn’t happy with what is being asked of him, and isn’t happy to stay at the Club? I know how highly Dimma rates his ability, he’s said it often enough. If Stacky thinks he’s progressing in his development and he’s getting positive feedback from Morris and Dimma, he will have no reason to leave if they think he has a future with his mates at Punt Road.

I have been one of his critics, as I hate to see naturally gifted players not reach their true potential, as a result of not doing the hard yards, and just thinking that it will happen. However, watching him of late in the VFL, he is doing the team things, and being played out of position. He plays his best footy across half back, but may be not given an extended go there because those positions in the one's are taken. Any team crying out for running half back flankers would be mad not to have a crack.
Or maybe, just maybe, the coaches know how good he is at half back and they are trying hard to develop him in other roles as he can’t crack a game ahead of others performing strongly in the HBF roles at senior level.

Stack's had a run of several games in a row where he's been very good both before his injury and in his return game on the weekend.

Unfortunately it's coincided with Cumberland's emergence and some decent form from MRJ, which makes it trickier to fit him into the side than when we had Aarts and Castagna in those roles. I'd like to see us find a spot for both Stack and MRJ soon though. Hugo, Shedda and Sonsie are probably the weakest links of the smaller players at the moment, but its Shedda's 300th this week and I think Sonsie deserves another game or two to find his feet at the top level.

Perhaps Stack for Hugo could work, with either Baker or Stack playing in their best position off half back?

Or maybe, just maybe, the coaches know how good he is at half back and they are trying hard to develop him in other roles as he can’t crack a game ahead of others performing strongly in the HBF roles at senior level.
In which case, they'll do what they can to keep him on the list.

And how do you know that he isn’t happy with what is being asked of him, and isn’t happy to stay at the Club? I know how highly Dimma rates his ability, he’s said it often enough. If Stacky thinks he’s progressing in his development and he’s getting positive feedback from Morris and Dimma, he will have no reason to leave if they think he has a future with his mates at Punt Road.
Because he is running round the VFL all season, he is way better than that. I don't know anything other than young blokes want to play seniors. I would be wrapped if he stays, but he has played angry the last few matches so he might not be feeling so charitable.

I'm sure that is their rationale, but it hasn't worked. An experiment that hasn't worked after an entire season probably won't. Castagna, Aarts, Clarke and Cumberland all got games before him. How do you think that makes him feel.

I'm sure that is their rationale, but it hasn't worked. An experiment that hasn't worked after an entire season probably won't. Castagna, Aarts, Clarke and Cumberland all got games before him. How do you think that makes him feel.
Depends on the love and feedback he’s getting from Morris, Dimma and the rest of the coaches I guess. If he’s being encouraged that he’s getting close to a game, and to keep doing what he’s doing, he’ll be happy enough imo. There’s a role for him for sure, but the spot has to open up. Who would you drop for him from last weeks side? Soldo perhaps, but leaves the ruck situation exposed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ian Chappell once said about Brett Lee was that the problem with Brett is he thinks he's a fast bowler, but you have to have the discipline and attitude with not only pace to be one.
Sydney Stack's biggest problem ATM is he thinks he's an AFL footballer , but he lacks that discipline and attitude. Lee adapted after taking the criticism, but will Stack be able to?? Stack has the ability, but everything else that is needed to be an afl footballer falls away.

Last edited:
Ian Chappell once said about Brett Lee was that Brett' thinks he's a fast bowler, but you have to have the discipline and attitude with not only pace to be one.
Sydney Stack's biggest problem ATM is he thinks he's an AFL footballer , but lacks that discipline and attitude. Lee adapted after taking the criticism, but will Stack be able to?? Stack has the ability, but everything else that is needed to be an afl footballer falls away.
I think your assessment was correct last year and in the first half of this year, but Stack has been playing a team-first role in the VFL for a little while now, and I think we're going to need to reward that soon.

It's funny, because they're trying to teach MRJ to run as hard offensively as he does defensively, whilst doing the opposite with Stack.

I think your assessment was correct last year and in the first half of this year, but Stack has been playing a team-first role in the VFL for a little while now, and I think we're going to need to reward that soon.

It's funny, because they're trying to teach MRJ to run as hard offensively as he does defensively, whilst doing the opposite with Stack.
Possibly mate, but I have still seen too many inconsistencies in his game.

Ian Chappell once said about Brett Lee was that Brett' thinks he's a fast bowler, but you have to have the discipline and attitude with not only pace to be one.
Sydney Stack's biggest problem ATM is he thinks he's an AFL footballer , but lacks that discipline and attitude. Lee adapted after taking the criticism, but will Stack be able to?? Stack has the ability, but everything else that is needed to be an afl footballer falls away.
How, for almost an entire season he has been playing football in the VFL without a single incident. If he was put at half back 8 weeks ago he'd be more than knocking the door down. Stack is a mint footballer playing in the worst position on the ground, a small pressure forward in the VFL.

Depends on the love and feedback he’s getting from Morris, Dimma and the rest of the coaches I guess. If he’s being encouraged that he’s getting close to a game, and to keep doing what he’s doing, he’ll be happy enough imo. There’s a role for him for sure, but the spot has to open up. Who would you drop for him from last weeks side? Soldo perhaps, but leaves the ruck situation exposed?
Well Morris was happy that he has stopped going for his marks, made the comment on the weekend. Wonder if that would apply to Bolton if he was playing in the VFL. Stack intercept marking was one of his strong points, he takes plenty of them in that highlights video. So they are happy to take his flair out of the game and turn him into what, another failed Richmond small forward.

How, for almost an entire season he has been playing football in the VFL without a single incident. If he was put at half back 8 weeks ago he'd be more than knocking the door down. Stack is a mint footballer playing in the worst position on the ground, a small pressure forward in the VFL.
Stop being over dramatic mate

stack half back and daniel rioli in the 2s for the last 4 games

we'll win every game

Well Morris was happy that he has stopped going for his marks, made the comment on the weekend. Wonder if that would apply to Bolton if he was playing in the VFL. Stack intercept marking was one of his strong points, he takes plenty of them in that highlights video. So they are happy to take his flair out of the game and turn him into what, another failed Richmond small forward.
Coaching staff NFI.

Coaching staff NFI.

I think it comes down to cancel culture.

Stack did a few things that where off putting. Dimma has his favourites and had to find a place for Baker and Rioli due to different traits. Rioli was not making it as a forward so put him back. Baker was never a back but everybody has to play back to learn defence per Dimmas mantra. So Stack has had no opportunity apart from 2019.

If there where smart they would have had Baker forward far earlier, pushed Castagna out, even play Rioli a higher half back more defensive wing and pushed Pickett further forward on a flank with Stack closer to back pocket.

Now it just looks messy and wrong. These things happen. I think its the difference between Scott and Dimma. Scott seems to embrace a few more different types, maybe he has a better support cast and Dimma seems rigid on personalities. Looking at Atkins, he is a goer but he also is not a total spud either in terms of pure capability. Geelong seem more performance talent based than us on players versus behaviour. Not concrete on this but thats the appearance I am getting as an observer. Stack looks a little iffy on the fitness side but after going through the ringer I am a little surprised he is still with us to be honest. If he had more go probably do a Stengle and go to Adelaide

I think it comes down to cancel culture.

Stack did a few things that where off putting. Dimma has his favourites and had to find a place for Baker and Rioli due to different traits. Rioli was not making it as a forward so put him back. Baker was never a back but everybody has to play back to learn defence per Dimmas mantra. So Stack has had no opportunity apart from 2019.

If there where smart they would have had Baker forward far earlier, pushed Castagna out, even play Rioli a higher half back more defensive wing and pushed Pickett further forward on a flank with Stack closer to back pocket.

Now it just looks messy and wrong. These things happen. I think its the difference between Scott and Dimma. Scott seems to embrace a few more different types, maybe he has a better support cast and Dimma seems rigid on personalities. Looking at Atkins, he is a goer but he also is not a total spud either in terms of pure capability. Geelong seem more performance talent based than us on players versus behaviour. Not concrete on this but thats the appearance I am getting as an observer
The difference between Scott and Dimma is one has the AFL tickling his nuts while the other has the AFL squishing them every chance they get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back