Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference between Scott and Dimma is one has the AFL tickling his nuts while the other has the AFL squishing them every chance they get.

Look I am not a fan of Scott and his press conferences, he is a political suck, but he would have learn't a lot under Mathews in Brisbane, Mcrae was no idiot, and they where a bit of a moltey crue with Pike and so forth.

Likewise Geelong have had a history of different types with Ablett Snr, Stevie J etc..

Having said all that despite Stephen Wells support one has to give Scott props for changing a few things this year and possibly pulling a rabbit out of the hat. I do not think Scott is a fool anyway. Scott has not really had the high draft picks and they can identify talent and utilise it. Scott seems more flexible than Dimma to me, Scott might a have a better eye for football ability, remember Dimma and Rance was not totally smooth either apparently.

There would be no query if he was allowed to play in the backline and he stuffed up

Last edited:
I did say potentially. Stack in 2019 was destined for stardom, nobody I can remember at Richmond put in a first season like that. He has every trait to be a great footballer, skill, hardness, pace, marking, great user of the ball and an elite mover. Then along came covid and that has been covered to death.

Last year after only two months back in at the club he was our best or second best player late in the season across half back. So this was the season where he was set to rebound. Let himself down a bit by coming in a bit behind the pack but plenty of time to fix that. Forward pocket for the rest of the year. Hard to be a better half back than Rioli and Baker when you don't play there.

He had a crack at the small forward and failed rounds 8 & 9, because he is not a small forward and never will be no matter how much they say he might be.
Thats just it with Stack , Its all Potential as it was with so many other extremely talented players we cannot even remember the names of
potential without work ethic and determination and commitment is like playing tattslotto - A dream

4 years and yet to see SS come back after preseason in afl standard
his chances of living upto his talent and potential would be about 10% currently

Thats just it with Stack , Its all Potential as it was with so many other extremely talented players we cannot even remember the names of
potential without work ethic and determination and commitment is like playing tattslotto - A dream

4 years and yet to see SS come back after preseason in afl standard
his chances of living upto his talent and potential would be about 10% currently
Stack could well have a good AFL career. Gotta play him to find out. You have written him off, I wouldn't yet

Stack could well have a good AFL career. Gotta play him to find out. You have written him off, I wouldn't yet
Yes he could !

But thats upto Sydney Stack
Stop piss farting around and get serious about his footy and fitness and come back in Daniel Rioli condition and he will 100% be a best 22 player
but come back in the same shape as he has last 3 years and 2023 will be his last.

I just feel like he wants to be a AFL player but is not prepared to put the work into becoming one
He has the talent to become a Stengle type foward and even a prestia / Baker type mid

If he wants to work for it, Its not going to be given to him on a platter

Yes he could !

Stop piss farting around and get serious about his footy and fitness and come back in Daniel Rioli condition and he will 100% be a best 22 player
but come back in the same shape as he has last 3 years and 2023 will be his last.

I just feel like he wants to be a AFL player but is not prepared to put the work into becoming one
He has the talent to become a Stengle type foward and even a prestia / Baker type mid

Fair enough yeah. Guess you haven't written him off. He definitely needs to come back tip top shape if he gets another contract (I think he will). Last four rounds of the year, I think we should play him and see what happens

Reckon Stacks of the belief that the off season is for putting your feet up and sinking piss. Fair enough. Except it only takes a couple of weeks of laziness to start eroding your fitness base. He basically comes back as a first year player every preseason. When it takes multiple preseasons to build a tank, hes given himself no chance. Would be a miracle if he can get it together at this point.

Yes he could !

Stengle was always a forward you could see it all the way back when he was with us.

Stack has put in the work since November, which is a fair amount of time. Of course he set himself behind the 8 ball by not coming back in better shape, but is a long time ago now.

Agree that he could be a Prestia/Baker type mid, but he hasn't run through the midfield at VFL level for about 6 weeks.

Reckon Stacks of the belief that the off season is for putting your feet up and sinking piss. Fair enough. Except it only takes a couple of weeks of laziness to start eroding your fitness base. He basically comes back as a first year player every preseason. When it takes multiple preseasons to build a tank, hes given himself no chance. Would be a miracle if he can get it together at this point.
He was 18 when drafted, still only 22? Males tend to mature later than females and some take until mid 20’s to get there. Not ideal when you’re an AFL player but could be the case with Stacky.
To say it’ll take a miracle is just overkill. He seems to be maturing and has certainly bought into team ethos this VFL season on my observations. Maybe he’s a late maturer and is now getting/understanding what’s required of him. I hope so as he’s a real talent.

He was 18 when drafted, still only 22? Males tend to mature later than females and some take until mid 20’s to get there. Not ideal when you’re an AFL player but could be the case with Stacky.

Couldn’t agree more!
The kids aren’t robots

And some on this forum who keep bagging out 1st-3rd year draftees obviously can’t remember what they were like at the same age or have never had teenagers in the house

Couldn’t agree more!
The kids aren’t robots

And some on this forum who keep bagging out 1st-3rd year draftees obviously can’t remember what they were like at the same age or have never had teenagers in the house

There are a few ways to look at this.

Sure there might have been a condition issue. There is also a relationship which is two ways and requires connection. It does not take too much to play him in the backline in reserves so to me I am not seeing encouragement for him

Yes he could !

There has been plenty in our side who have had it on a golden platter.

Well Morris was happy that he has stopped going for his marks, made the comment on the weekend. Wonder if that would apply to Bolton if he was playing in the VFL. Stack intercept marking was one of his strong points, he takes plenty of them in that highlights video. So they are happy to take his flair out of the game and turn him into what, another failed Richmond small forward.
I had to go and check the Morris video to even believe that he made that comment.
What happened to allowing players to play to their strengths with dare and flare. It was the what turned it around after the restrictive 2014'16 game plan. It is sad what we're doing to this kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still really hope we keep him for one more year.

You're not going to find a player with more upside at the bargain cost of a minimal contract picked up for free.

Get him back to the position where he has played his best football at AFL level, train him as an attacking HBF over the preseason.

Still have hope.

2023 would be the last shot though.

I had to go and check the Morris video to even believe that he made that comment.
What happened to allowing players to play to their strengths with dare and flare. It was the what turned it around after the restrictive 2014'16 game plan. It is sad what we're doing to this kid.
Yep, haven’t been a fan of what we are doing in our twos. Defensive work rate is important but not the only thing we need to develop.

He is finished with us. It is not his talent that is in question it is the all round package. Will be amazed if he is still there next year from what i understand and no i wont be sharing my understanding.
IMO this will be Stengle 2.0.

He will go to another club, turn it around, tear it up, and they'll get a gun for free with 10 years left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back