Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond is also on track to re-contract talented utility Sydney Stack despite a year in which he has played only two AFL games, one of them as the unused sub.

Stack, who broke his cheekbone last month, has made significant gains in his professionalism and while he would have rival suitors the 22-year-old will be at Punt Road next year.

Richmond is also on track to re-contract talented utility [PLAYERCARD]Sydney Stack[/PLAYERCARD] despite a year in which he has played only two AFL games.

Richmond is also on track to re-contract talented utility Sydney Stack despite a year in which he has played only two AFL games.

Talks on Bolton’s deal will be picked up after those list and trade discussions but he is keen to be contracted again before next season starts – subject to a fair deal.

He would only be a free agent at the end of 2024 but a long-term deal would take him well past that date and deep into his 20s.

Senior Tigers advisor Neil Balme said Bolton was on the verge of becoming the “best player in the competition”.

Balme said should the 23-year-old find the consistency that is the mark of the truly great players he could be “hard to stop”.

“I say, to myself, if he actually played consistently, he’s nearly the best player in the comp,” Balme said on RSN.

“He does play reasonable consistently, but so much of it is that natural brilliance. Part of the challenge of being a greatplayer is doing it consistently and that’s still his test.

“Can you imagine if he did play at his absolute maximum all the time, he’d be hard to stop.”

Fantastic to hear Stack is sticking around. Just need Dimma to put him back to half back and train him there all Summer and we'll be laughing.
Still think he could be an absolute weapon in the middle/wing similar to the role Pickett plays but with a little more midfield time

If he got 100% out of himself would be a gun in backline, fwd line, wing, wherever they put him.
I thought he could be next Wanganeen in 2019.
Gun anywhere.
Tired of hearing if only he played half back, bad up bringing, he’s only young etc excuses etc.
It’s up to Stack to get best out of himself like all the other players who don’t even have his talent. That’s why they are picked ahead of him. Even effing George and Aarts who don’t have half his talent, much to frustration of Tiger Army.

Still think he could be an absolute weapon in the middle/wing similar to the role Pickett plays but with a little more midfield time
Yeah Pickett role would also suit well if his tank could handle it.

I like a backline with Rioli, Baker and Stack as the smalls. All quick, skillful players who can beat a man and provide rebound.

Yeah Pickett role would also suit well if his tank could handle it.

I like a backline with Rioli, Baker and Stack as the smalls. All quick, skillful players who can beat a man and provide rebound.
Could be a good opportunity with grimes out to give it a go, give Broad some more responsibility in terms of locking down similar to the role grimes tends to play and give stack go in broads role

Is Stack gets his head in the game, like a Lambo light, he will be a great mid, who is able to paly anywhere else. Sort of like Baker, but bigger and even more skilled.

I just so hope, for his sake and ours, he does get it all together. He has caused himself some grief, but has so many bad breaks in his life.

Would love it if he signed on another 2 years. I don't think he's far off.
We will have a gun player, another hard working preseason and he will be in the side next year.
Hopefully settled as a HBF over the preseason, and play a similar role to Rioli.

We will have a gun player, another hard working preseason and he will be in the side next year.
Hopefully settled as a HBF over the preseason, and play a similar role to Rioli.

Is he being groomed more for the high half forward/extra at stoppage role to possibly replace Edwards or Lambert? It is so hard to tell for sure but the goal square would certainly look a bit crowded with Jack, Lynch, Bolton, Martin, Cumberland and Stack all hanging around there. And Stack has mainly been playing deep forward in the VFL. Would love to know the reasoning for Stack’s deep forward deployment this season, it is one of those things where you think there must be much more to this than meets the eye.

Is he being groomed more for the high half forward/extra at stoppage role to possibly replace Edwards or Lambert? It is so hard to tell for sure but the goal square would certainly look a bit crowded with Jack, Lynch, Bolton, Martin, Cumberland and Stack all hanging around there. And Stack has mainly been playing deep forward in the VFL. Would love to know the reasoning for Stack’s deep forward deployment this season, it is one of those things where you think there must be much more to this than meets the eye.
Maybe Stack is seen as an upgrade on Castagna/Aarts?

I honestly don’t get the urgency to resign Stack now…?

There’s been no urgency in selecting him in the 22 this year and has been on the outs for nearly the whole year.
2 games 2022.
7 games 2021.
9 games 2020.
17 games in his debut year.

That is not a very pretty picture when looking at return on investment.

Sydney’s maturity level needs a huge adjustment and at age 22 he might still be 3-4 years away from this.

There’s been no urgency in selecting him in the 22 this year and has been on the outs for nearly the whole year.
2 games 2022.
7 games 2021.
9 games 2020.

Sydney’s maturity level needs a huge adjustment and at age 22 he might still be 3-4 years away from this.

But it seems like he might have turned that around. Now obviously he put himself so far back that to get to an elite fitness level it takes more than 1 season of hard work.

2 games 2022.
7 games 2021.
9 games 2020.

If the club is happy with Stack, and he is prepared to sign for an amount the can afford and he is worth, then why not sign him now before someone else comes knocking?

The male brain is known to noticeably mature around 23 years of age, and Stack will turn 23 in April 2023. If both parties are happy and the price is right, sign him up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen nothing on field since my last comment that indicates Stack has the understanding or body shape to be a small forward.
I still think the back line is his only option, similar to Vlas when we tried him mid and quickly sent him back again.
Not everyone can play multiple positions, and I think Stack is one of them.

comes in this week and doesnt leave the side

Richmond is also on track to re-contract talented utility Sydney Stack despite a year in which he has played only two AFL games, one of them as the unused sub.

Stack, who broke his cheekbone last month, has made significant gains in his professionalism and while he would have rival suitors the 22-year-old will be at Punt Road next year.

Richmond is also on track to re-contract talented utility Sydney Stack despite a year in which he has played only two AFL games.

The above is from post #6676 on this thread.

There are all sorts of possibilities your mind can conjure about the way Stack has been handled by Richmond. But one that has crossed my mind is the club has just recognised the biggest barrier to him succeeding stems from his background and off field issues. And it may be they decided to keep him mainly out of the spotlight and in a very peripheral on field VFL role while he is working through all of that. And if that is the case, then well done to both parties, perfect way to handle issues that would otherwise be a ticking time bomb for him, potentially forever.

We have all noted in the VFL this year his on field attitude seems first class, not just in relation to how he attacks the ball but the way he interacts with his team-mates. He is in a stable and safe environment at Richmond and fingers crossed, he fulfils his enormous potential. There wouldn’t be a fair minded footy supporter anywhere who doesn’t love watching Sydney play.

The above is from post #6676 on this thread.

There are all sorts of possibilities your mind can conjure about the way Stack has been handled by Richmond. But one that has crossed my mind is the club has just recognised the biggest barrier to him succeeding stems from his background and off field issues. And it may be they decided to keep him mainly out of the spotlight and in a very peripheral on field VFL role while he is working through all of that. And if that is the case, then well done to both parties, perfect way to handle issues that would otherwise be a ticking time bomb for him, potentially forever.

We have all noted in the VFL this year his on field attitude seems first class, not just in relation to how he attacks the ball but the way he interacts with his team-mates. He is in a stable and safe environment at Richmond and fingers crossed, he fulfils his enormous potential. There wouldn’t be a fair minded footy supporter anywhere who doesn’t love watching Sydney play.
Yeah, he oozes talent and I really do hope we have him succeed at Richmond. But at the end of the day we’re in a win now type of industry and it isn’t a well-being centre.

He needs consistent output at AFL level to warrant a spot on the list.

If he got 100% out of himself would be a gun in backline, fwd line, wing, wherever they put him.
I thought he could be next Wanganeen in 2019.
Gun anywhere.
Tired of hearing if only he played half back, bad up bringing, he’s only young etc excuses etc.
It’s up to Stack to get best out of himself like all the other players who don’t even have his talent. That’s why they are picked ahead of him. Even effing George and Aarts who don’t have half his talent, much to frustration of Tiger Army.
If you're tired of hearing it, give it a rest. I'm tired of you bagging him. Clearly the club at ok with where he's at. That should be enough for you too. Post after post sticking it to him about his professionalism. Even when the club announces that they are happy with his increased professionalism and intend re signing him, you have another go at him. Enough already. You made your point, many times. He's a Richmond player, here's a thought, get behind him, unless you have some other agenda ?

Last edited:
Yeah, he oozes talent and I really do hope we have him succeed at Richmond. But at the end of the day we’re in a win now type of industry and it isn’t a well-being centre.

He needs consistent output at AFL level to warrant a spot on the list.

I think if you are talking big contracts, I fully agree.

If you are talking about a single list spot and a modest contract while you see if you can unlock a player’s potential, Lambert, Castagna, Short, Soldo, Baker, Pickett, Colina, Stack, Parker, Mansell, Ryan, Rioli Jnr and some others, especially when you are not getting a lot of high end draft picks, it makes much more sense. If the player is working towards improving, and not causing trouble for the club or other players, then especially for a player who is clearly top end talent wise like Stack, you try to support him to get the best out of himself, any way that is required.

The thing is even if you try and fail with one player, you learn. And the next time a similar situation arises you might know just what to do from the outset. Which potentially in future gives the club access to some talent other clubs don’t get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back