Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

What happened to the posts in this thread between August and December 2020?

wow did we not care about this guy to post? Or did certain people make predictions about this bloke that they are ******* embarrassed about.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

wow did we not care about this guy to post? Or did certain people make predictions about this bloke that they are ******* embarrassed about.
Well he was in no man's land by his own doing. Credit to him he has managed to work hard to break into the team in 2021.

I think there's still some valid cautionary question marks of how he handles an off season on his own. Previous time to himself he hasn't made the best decisions. We all hope he can prove he's learnt from that.

Well he was in no man's land by his own doing. Credit to him he has managed to work hard to break into the team in 2021.

I think there's still some valid cautionary question marks of how he handles an off season on his own. Previous time to himself he hasn't made the best decisions. We all hope he can prove he's learnt from that.

Did you write him off on this thread between August and December 2020?

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I think you are right we shouldn’t assume he won’t fall foul of authorities or the club in one way or another in future. But what his current form and attitude confirms is that even if he doesn’t get it totally as the club would hope off field he is still worth persevering with.

When Stack is playing well there is something about him that isn’t like other players, especially 21 year olds. When the ball is in front of him he just seems such an expert footballer. His techniques around kicking, handballing, bumping, tackling, marking, gathering and handling the ball are flawless. Even at this level I don’t think there are many players like that. I often watch the likes of Angus Brayshaw or James Aish or Harry Cunningham and think they are really good technical footballers as well, but there is something different about Stack, he accelerates into traffic areas these guys don’t and often comes away with clean possession.

He is a rare talent Stack and whilst we might expect he will have his “challenges” off field, ie sometimes make errors of judgement, and sometimes focus energy in unproductive areas, he is a player and person worth investing in, and I am really pleased our club has chosen to do that. When Stack is on he makes you feel very proud to be a Richmond supporter. Eddie McGuire’s commentary in the tight final term v the Dockers just about did him justice I think, so well done to Eddie and it was a great bit of footy from Stack.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Did you write him off on this thread between August and December 2020?
Can't remember tbh. Not sure if I wrote him off but was certainly really pissed off with what he and CCJ did and knew they had a lot to do to repay us. I was also really frustrated he seemingly stuffed up again in Perth.

Obviously no one has ever written off his talent. TBH, I dont think he's proven it all yet that he's sorted himself. If he were to stuff up again on the off season he's either gone or back to square one.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I think you are right we shouldn’t assume he won’t fall foul of authorities or the club in one way or another in future. But what his current form and attitude confirms is that even if he doesn’t get it totally as the club would hope off field he is still worth persevering with.

When Stack is playing well there is something about him that isn’t like other players, especially 21 year olds. When the ball is in front of him he just seems such an expert footballer. His techniques around kicking, handballing, bumping, tackling, marking, gathering and handling the ball are flawless. Even at this level I don’t think there are many players like that. I often watch the likes of Angus Brayshaw or James Aish or Harry Cunningham and think they are really good technical footballers as well, but there is something different about Stack, he accelerates into traffic areas these guys don’t and often comes away with clean possession.

He is a rare talent Stack and whilst we might expect he will have his “challenges” off field, ie sometimes make errors of judgement, and sometimes focus energy in unproductive areas, he is a player and person worth investing in, and I am really pleased our club has chosen to do that. When Stack is on he makes you feel very proud to be a Richmond supporter. Eddie McGuire’s commentary in the tight final term v the Dockers just about did him justice I think, so well done to Eddie and it was a great bit of footy from Stack.
His talent is exceptional, no doubt. A random pick 65 doing the same thing over the last 12 months probably gets desisted without thought.

His talent is why it's such a significant win for the club on field if we get it right.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
His talent is exceptional, no doubt. A random pick 65 doing the same thing over the last 12 months probably gets desisted without thought.

His talent is why it's such a significant win for the club on field if we get it right.

So far don’t Stack's known indiscretions amount to one COVID breach potentially jeopardising the competition and another general but technical COVID breach the like of which would normally attract about a $1500 fine - at worst?

The first one he shared with Coleman-Jones and they were fairly and correctly excluded from the competition and the hub for a time. It was a serious error to make but not exactly one that was laced with evil intent on the part of the players concerned.

In both cases Stack has suffered penalties causing much greater pain to him than he caused to any other person, missing a chance to play in a Premiership and then almost unbelievably spending a relatively substantial period in prison.

As was shown with the now missing segment of this thread edit: other Sydney Stack thread, the moral questions around the errors he made are entirely debatable from both sides as to his level of culpability. It is not like he has committed an unprovoked assault on somebody and maimed them, where it would be more straightforward in terms of the moral judgements.

So you would hope even a “random pick 65” would be equally fairly treated by the club in the same circumstances. I suppose the question to ask might be say Stack had done what Tyson Stengle - your random pick 65 type - was sacked for by the Crows (from memory caught with an illicit substance and drink driving on separate occasions.) If Sydney Stack had done those things, would we want him sacked by Richmond?

My view on this is it is case by case considering all elements of the situation, including the player’s value as a footballer, and the culture of the club and likely impact on other players at the club. So while the difference between Stack’s ability and Stengle’s may be enough to cause one to be sacked and the other to receive a different and reduced penalty, it certainly should not mean the more talented player does not answer for his actions.

Last edited:

Oshka

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond

They’re in another Sydney Stack thread

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

I thought he had another two threads. One with CJ and another called Sydney Stack Arrested. Could be wrong though.
Here is the locked thread on Stack.Makes for some embarrassing reading.

Westicle

All Australian
Feb 20, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Jordan De Goey - alleged sexual assault, going to trial later this year. (edit - charge withdrawn by police, police ordered to pay costs. De Goey innocent in the eyes of the law)

Toby Greene - bashed a security guard with a weapon causing permanent injuries.

Murray Newman - bashed a guy at a nightclub, breaking his jaw.

Wayne Carey - convicted of indecent assault in 1997, bashed his partner 2006, glassed his new partner 2007, assaulted police 2008.

Sydney Stack - went outside, ate a kebab.

He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but compared to his peers he is practically a role model.

Are posters seriously calling out other posters for being tired of Stacks s**t and indiscretions on the back of a few good games?

* off with that s**t!!! His talent never in doubt, but his attitude was what many rightfully grew tired of.

Hat off to the kid for now, but this off season will tell a huge story. Does he want it badly enough?

Jordan De Goey - alleged sexual assault, going to trial later this year. (edit - charge withdrawn by police, police ordered to pay costs. De Goey innocent in the eyes of the law)

Toby Greene - bashed a security guard with a weapon causing permanent injuries.

Murray Newman - bashed a guy at a nightclub, breaking his jaw.

Wayne Carey - convicted of indecent assault in 1997, bashed his partner 2006, glassed his new partner 2007, assaulted police 2008.

Sydney Stack - went outside, ate a kebab.

He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but compared to his peers he is practically a role model.

All bad in their own right, but only one of those incidents threatened the entire competition. People are allowed to be angry at all of the players, RFC associated or not.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
All bad in their own right, but only one of those incidents threatened the entire competition. People are allowed to be angry at all of the players, RFC associated or not.
I think the context is that Stack did something, along with CCJ, that was stupid in context of not thinking about the consequences, more on par with drink driving as opposed to bashing a cabby or a girlfriend etc. No malice, just dumb kid stuff.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Are posters seriously calling out other posters for being tired of Stacks sh*t and indiscretions on the back of a few good games?

fu** off with that sh*t!!! His talent never in doubt, but his attitude was what many rightfully grew tired of.

Hat off to the kid for now, but this off season will tell a huge story. Does he want it badly enough?

He is 21. Played 30 games of AFL footy, most of them good or very good games, and adjusted for age, many of them brilliant games. Players like Rozee and Butters etc are being talked up as all timers for playing no better than Stack.

He has now twice fought his way into the team on genuine merit after starting way behind. In my opinion at least, this would be incredibly difficult for most players to achieve and reflects on a level of intestinal fortitude most people just do not possess. His few good games didn’t just happen randomly, they were no accident. They happen as a function of him doing everything right.

But just think about your language. You are tired of a 21yo who has Sydney Stack’s CV? You are impossible to please. His approach since being at the club from 18yo on a near worthless selection and very shallow wage has fluctuated from absolutely first class to one or two bad errors, and probably occupied a few of the rungs in between those extremes with his other distractions. And all you can see in terms of his attitude and application is the “sh*t and indiscretions?”

If you told me(and I am guessing very many other Richmond supporters) next year our pre season pick goes on another Sydney Stack who will make some errors including one very bad one, but will arrive where Stack is now in 3 years time, where do I f*cking sign. Clubs go through 5 drafts and don’t get a player like him, some trade big draft capital and offer huge contracts(think Carlton with Saad, Williams) and still don’t get a player who plays as well as the best of what Stack has shown.

We are entitled to celebrate his excellent form, and hope it is a sign of good things to come. Loads of posters were calling for his nuts and writing him off and his current form alone tells us he was well worth persevering with, warts and all. Who knows if he plays a long career or enjoys success or proves himself over the long course, but I am sticking well to my guns on this. Those calling for his head were way off the mark, and Stack’s current form wasn’t even necessary to tell most of us that, but it is some good evidence in his defence.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
He is 21. Played 30 games of AFL footy, most of them good or very good games, and adjusted for age, many of them brilliant games. Players like Rozee and Butters etc are being talked up as all timers for playing no better than Stack.

He has now twice fought his way into the team on genuine merit after starting way behind. In my opinion at least, this would be incredibly difficult for most players to achieve and reflects on a level of intestinal fortitude most people just do not possess. His few good games didn’t just happen randomly, they were no accident. They happen as a function of him doing everything right.

But just think about your language. You are tired of a 21yo who has Sydney Stack’s CV? You are impossible to please. His approach since being at the club from 18yo on a near worthless selection and very shallow wage has fluctuated from absolutely first class to one or two bad errors, and probably occupied a few of the rungs in between those extremes with his other distractions. And all you can see in terms of his attitude and application is the “sh*t and indiscretions?”

If you told me(and I am guessing very many other Richmond supporters) next year our pre season pick goes on another Sydney Stack who will make some errors including one very bad one, but will arrive where Stack is now in 3 years time, where do I f*cking sign. Clubs go through 5 drafts and don’t get a player like him, some trade big draft capital and offer huge contracts(think Carlton with Saad, Williams) and still don’t get a player who plays as well as the best of what Stack has shown.

We are entitled to celebrate his excellent form, and hope it is a sign of good things to come. Loads of posters were calling for his nuts and writing him off and his current form alone tells us he was well worth persevering with, warts and all. Who knows if he plays a long career or enjoys success or proves himself over the long course, but I am sticking well to my guns on this. Those calling for his head were way off the mark, and Stack’s current form wasn’t even necessary to tell most of us that, but it is some good evidence in his defence.
Besides enjoy the lads football without always the caveat of 'if he ••••'s up next preseason etc..... Just good to watch a kid getting his •••• together.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Besides enjoy the lads football without always the caveat of 'if he ••••'s up next preseason etc..... Just good to watch a kid getting his •••• together.

You’ve nailed it in one line Grrr. He is one of the most enjoyable players to watch you could possibly wish for, let alone when judged against his wage and what we gave up for him.

Thats a great rant, but what makes your opinion more valid than others?

Let me also tell you, your faith is far from validated just yet, so telling others that they should look at themselves for writing him off is far too premature and righteous.

Just like you are entitled to celebrate his form, others were entitled to have grown tired of his s**t.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Let me also tell you, your faith is far from validated just yet, so telling others that they should look at themselves for writing him off is far too premature and righteous.

Just like you are entitled to celebrate his form, others were entitled to have grown tired of his sh*t.

My post was a response to the points raised in your post. I think think my opinion on this is more valid than yours that is why I adopt the position. There would be something seriously amiss if I adopted a position I considered less valid. 😂

But clearly you think your position is more valid than mine or you would not have adopted that position. So why ask me what makes my opinion more valid than others? My reasoning is in my post. Pick up any point you want out of it, happy to discuss.

Stack’s attitude to his football/job as a footballer, overall during his time at the club and taking into account his background, age and any other relevant circumstances. Good, bad or indifferent in your opinion?

And also nail your colours to the mast on this question: you get the chance to take Stack when we did with the pick we used again prior to the 2019 season, but knowing what we know now. Do you take him, yes or no?

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Just like you are entitled to celebrate his form, others were entitled to have grown tired of his sh*t.
What s**t, that was 9 months ago.

Back