Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure the club knows what it is doing with Stack. And I am sure they are communicating clearly to him what he needs to do. He looks fully engaged on field so it is not like he is disenchanted with not being selected. There is no doubts at all about his ability to win and use the ball, but as we know players who can’t reach a certain level with their defensive running can be completely exploited at AFL level. It is hard to imagine any other reason Stack is not in the team right now but having watched him closely in each game this season I would think his elevation is getting close.
Mate his gotta be better than aarts Ross or castagna for cripes sake...

This. It would be an absolute tragedy if we lost stacky at the end of the year because the coaching staff didn't reward his form and played others a head of him on reputation. You don't have to be half a decent all brain to realise he is super talented...
its about time :) Dont worry about me im always a few weeks early on my predictions.

What are reasonable expectations for Stack tonight?

I see he's been named at Full Forward. Just crash packs and bring it to ground so our forward pockets (Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt) can go to work??
Mr Bean Wink Wink GIF - Mr Bean Wink Wink Winking GIFs

Stack and MRJ in the same forward line.

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video
Both of them played very well with each other last night
Rioli got the goals but they worked hard for each other
Good chemistry

Must keep playing as a small forward. Him and Rioli in tandem doing the grunt work is gonna be a nightmare for a lot of defense's. Did the team thing and set his teammates in better position up resulting in 3 goals. No way in hell someone like Castagna or Aarts would've they would've blazed away. Was open in good position a few times but teammates went to Lynch, Riewoldt and Bolton every time. Can't blame them as they were dominating. A lot to like about Baker back and stack forward. Grunt up both ends that Aarts and Costanza are incapable of.

Must keep playing as a small forward. Him and Rioli in tandem doing the grunt work is gonna be a nightmare for a lot of defense's. Did the team thing and set his teammates in better position up resulting in 3 goals. No way in hell someone like Castagna or Aarts would've they would've blazed away. Was open in good position a few times but teammates went to Lynch, Riewoldt and Bolton every time. Can't blame them as they were dominating. A lot to like about Baker back and stack forward. Grunt up both ends that Aarts and Costanza are incapable of.

Long term Clarke. Stack. MRJ. Looks a nice trio. If all goes to plan.

Assume George gets forced out.

Butler and Higgins going might have been the right idea

I'm not sure what to make of Stack's game last night. He obviously only had a handful of possessions and made a few mistakes, but it's pretty tough to make a judgement in a game like that. I'm going to the Collingwood game and hopefully will get a chance to watch both he and RCD closely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what to make of Stack's game last night. He obviously only had a handful of possessions and made a few mistakes, but it's pretty tough to make a judgement in a game like that. I'm going to the Collingwood game and hopefully will get a chance to watch both he and RCD closely.
Stiff to lose spot after one game, with likely inclusions I reckon Stacky will make way unfortunately ,

Will get better with games for me we seen a different side of him yesterday playing a team role pressure and setting up team-mates still has do much flair and skill we can't blanket that and so versatile.

It was interesting wasn't it, a totally different role for Stacky who normally just relies on his talent. I would like to see him get a few weeks in the role but we want him to keep his natural attacking flair.

Definitely warrants more games Stack. He is so strong, he showed the other night he can create opportunities for others without even gaining possession. The only possible way I would like to see him back in the VFL is to play a block of games as a pure mid with a view to placing him there in the AFL team once his fitness is up to it.

Longer term if the penny drops with Sydney as he matures over the next year or so, then he could be a massive player for us. If it doesn’t work out that way for him then he is still useful to have on the list. Fearless straight line player who will always make other players better(providing he is sufficiently fit.)

I've always thought Stack plays better behind the ball - his intercepts, contest wins, and ability to break the lines make him great as either a defender or defensive midfielder or winger. Whenever I think of Stack, I think of him charging up to intercept a loose ball, busting through a tackle, and delivering into the forward line.

That said, he's talented enough to be effective anywhere on the ground. If forward is where we need him, then he should be effective there.

I've always thought Stack plays better behind the ball - his intercepts, contest wins, and ability to break the lines make him great as either a defender or defensive midfielder or winger. Whenever I think of Stack, I think of him charging up to intercept a loose ball, busting through a tackle, and delivering into the forward line.

That said, he's talented enough to be effective anywhere on the ground. If forward is where we need him, then he should be effective there.

Think that is spot on. Play him where needed for now. If you get to a Grand Final, Half Back, unless he is in the midfield due to taking his fitness to previously unknown levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back