Player Watch #44: Tyson Stengle [TIGER NO MORE!]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the Cats took a punt on Tyson Stengle (aka the Wombat)​

They called him “Wombat” at Richmond. He was so low to the ground, so strong, they just couldn’t tackle him. They’d grab at him, roll off and he’d get away. The name stuck better than the tackle.

At his third club, Tyson Stengle still gets Wombat. Or “Wombo”. They still can’t tackle him.

Richmond told Adelaide when he left Punt Road: “You don’t know what a steal you are getting.” Richmond knew. They knew he was good, perhaps not this good, but they knew he was good. But with an abundance of small forwards and more coming they couldn’t afford to offer him more than a two-year contract. Adelaide offered him three. He took the three.

Although he made the business choice to move to Adelaide, Stengle never entirely left the Tigers behind. When Richmond’s VFL team won the premiership, football staff were surprised but not shocked to see a small man standing in the corner of the Princes Park changing rooms with a hoodie over his head, smiling as the Tiger players sang their song. Stengle had flown in to support his mates.

Things didn’t work out for Stengle in Adelaide for reasons well known. There were a couple of drug-related issues and a drink-driving incident in an eight-month period that stretched Adelaide’s patience. They stood him down, then tore up his contract and agreed to delist him.

Stengle thought he was going to Collingwood before last year’s mid-season draft. Then the Magpies got cold feet. Some at the club feel they did too much work on him, looking for reasons not to take him.

“I didn’t really think Geelong was the club I was going to come to as they didn’t contact me all year until the end of the season last year,” Stengle said.

“I was close with Collingwood in the mid-season draft last year, but didn’t end up going there. They pulled the pin at the last minute. I am not too sure why. Not too sure what to think about that.

“Obviously, I missed [being picked] in the mid-season draft then. It was pretty tough. I was a little bit sad, but I forgot about it pretty quick. We had a game that weekend, so I went out and played at the Eagles and my goal for the rest of the year was to play good footy each week and go far in the finals with the Eagles.

“My manager and stuff were talking to Collingwood, so I am not sure what happened with that. It’s all right I ended up at Geelong anyway. I was happy to come to Geelong.”

Geelong didn’t speak to Stengle all year. But others spoke to them about him. They called Richmond late to ask what they thought and only received glowing endorsements - he was a lovely, good-hearted bloke. Don’t judge him on a few incidents in Adelaide.

Shaun Grigg, who had played with him at Richmond and was on the Cats’ coaching staff, badgered Stephen Wells and Andrew Mackie to give Wombat a chance.

“We [Grigg and Stengle] were pretty close at Richmond and having him here as a coach and getting in the ears of the recruiters trying to get me across here, he has been amazing to try and get me here as well,” Stengle said.

Why the Cats took a punt on Tyson Stengle (aka the Wombat)​

They called him “Wombat” at Richmond. He was so low to the ground, so strong, they just couldn’t tackle him. They’d grab at him, roll off and he’d get away. The name stuck better than the tackle.

At his third club, Tyson Stengle still gets Wombat. Or “Wombo”. They still can’t tackle him.

Richmond told Adelaide when he left Punt Road: “You don’t know what a steal you are getting.” Richmond knew. They knew he was good, perhaps not this good, but they knew he was good. But with an abundance of small forwards and more coming they couldn’t afford to offer him more than a two-year contract. Adelaide offered him three. He took the three.

Although he made the business choice to move to Adelaide, Stengle never entirely left the Tigers behind. When Richmond’s VFL team won the premiership, football staff were surprised but not shocked to see a small man standing in the corner of the Princes Park changing rooms with a hoodie over his head, smiling as the Tiger players sang their song. Stengle had flown in to support his mates.

Things didn’t work out for Stengle in Adelaide for reasons well known. There were a couple of drug-related issues and a drink-driving incident in an eight-month period that stretched Adelaide’s patience. They stood him down, then tore up his contract and agreed to delist him.

Stengle thought he was going to Collingwood before last year’s mid-season draft. Then the Magpies got cold feet. Some at the club feel they did too much work on him, looking for reasons not to take him.

“I didn’t really think Geelong was the club I was going to come to as they didn’t contact me all year until the end of the season last year,” Stengle said.

“I was close with Collingwood in the mid-season draft last year, but didn’t end up going there. They pulled the pin at the last minute. I am not too sure why. Not too sure what to think about that.

“Obviously, I missed [being picked] in the mid-season draft then. It was pretty tough. I was a little bit sad, but I forgot about it pretty quick. We had a game that weekend, so I went out and played at the Eagles and my goal for the rest of the year was to play good footy each week and go far in the finals with the Eagles.

“My manager and stuff were talking to Collingwood, so I am not sure what happened with that. It’s all right I ended up at Geelong anyway. I was happy to come to Geelong.”

Geelong didn’t speak to Stengle all year. But others spoke to them about him. They called Richmond late to ask what they thought and only received glowing endorsements - he was a lovely, good-hearted bloke. Don’t judge him on a few incidents in Adelaide.

Shaun Grigg, who had played with him at Richmond and was on the Cats’ coaching staff, badgered Stephen Wells and Andrew Mackie to give Wombat a chance.

“We [Grigg and Stengle] were pretty close at Richmond and having him here as a coach and getting in the ears of the recruiters trying to get me across here, he has been amazing to try and get me here as well,” Stengle said.

More than repaid their faith in the GF a really good game from him.
Had me wondering what the last couple of years wouldve been like with him in our forward half.
Perhaps getting punted was the best thing for him, all the best to him (except on game day v Tigers obviously!)

More than repaid their faith in the GF a really good game from him.
Had me wondering what the last couple of years wouldve been like with him in our forward half.
Perhaps getting punted was the best thing for him, all the best to him (except on game day v Tigers obviously!)

Oh yeah, he needed a wake up call. Well several actually. punted form us, disciplined at the Crows, then turfed by them. Some issues in maturity, until he actually had to do ti hard at the lower level.

Hope Stack doesn't go the same way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back