Rookie 45. Alex Mirkov

Remove this Banner Ad

mason Cox 211 cm and came from another code. Hopefully Alex will have more of a clue than Cox. Even though he has a volleyball background, the mere fact that he was a blues supporter growing up, would mean that he has probably kicked more than a few footys over the years . Hopefully this translates into a more natural footballer than Cox.

Having Kreuzer as a coach might be the best thing. They might actually complement each other. By the highlights Alex is a natural tap ruckman, something that Kreuzer never was. The tap work doesn’t seem to be where Alex needs help. Reportedly it’s his follow up work after the stoppage. That’s where Kreuzer shined as we all know. If Kreuzer can transfer his knowledge regarding follow up work and around the ground, we might have a really good prospect on our hands. TDK and Mirkov rotating and resting forward could be a real handful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mason Cox 211 cm and came from another code. Hopefully Alex will have more of a clue than Cox. Even though he has a volleyball background, the mere fact that he was a blues supporter growing up, would mean that he has probably kicked more than a few footys over the years . Hopefully this translates into a more natural footballer than Cox.

Having Kreuzer as a coach might be the best thing. They might actually complement each other. By the highlights Alex is a natural tap ruckman, something that Kreuzer never was. The tap work doesn’t seem to be where Alex needs help. Reportedly it’s his follow up work after the stoppage. That’s where Kreuzer shined as we all know. If Kreuzer can transfer his knowledge regarding follow up work and around the ground, we might have a really good prospect on our hands. TDK and Mirkov rotating and resting forward could be a real handful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He has played 40 games of Australian Rules. So his volleyball background is way overstated.

So far in his games in the VFL he has been used as solely a ruckman. Most players didn’t use him around the grounds as all players didn’t see him as a AFL player but someone who was just filling a VFL spot.

Will need to take him more seriously now.

I think it is a great pick. It wasn't as if any other players would have moved the needle for us. Watching the game against Brisbane he looked like a dominant ruckman. He is not only taller than most ruckman, he also has a better leap in much the same way as Nic Nat. Most ruckman even when winning the ruck don't really hit to advantage, this guy has the ability to do that in spades. He is a project and could take some time, but he looks good to me, and could give us a real advantage at stoppages.

Took less than five minutes into his Carlton career to get injured. If our football club was a meme it would be Sideshow Bob endlessly stepping on rakes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I assume we still keeping him but it strange he not mentioned in updates today on rookie list from Carlton.
Just read Jordan Boyd that we also took in mid-season draft will remain a Blue in 2022 on rookie list but no news on Mirkov.
Surely we not let him go like we did with Josh DeLuca after only 6 months from mid-season rookie draft?

At this stage from news read in last hour I can see Category A for 2022 will see Parks, Boyd and Oscar McDonald as Category A rookie listed and Owies Category B
The List Management intention is to re-contract Lochie O'Brien and Cotttrell via the rookie draft.

But nothing mentioned on Alex Mirkov which seems weird to me.
Thought in news it would at least mention him along with Boyd from mid-season rookie draft but nothing....
Can only assume oversight by whomever announced it. Just cannot see any reason would not keep Mirkov.

In these two Co-Vid seasons it seems stiff on some youngsters at all clubs that get de-listed when a lot of time they only had scratch matches to try to develop.
Sam Ramsay stiff so half expected he might get re-drafted via rookie list but if not mentioned as such today it appears not.
Hopefully for him some club give him an opportunity.
I personally not seen enough of him to even make any real judgement on him. But I think he been at club as long as Carroll but Carroll did at least catch my eye in small amount of reserves footy that played via 7plus, youtube or Kayo in earlier part of season.

Anyway, hopefully club confirm Mirkov is rookie listed for 2022 in some form of update in coming days or maybe they already mentioned it somewhere else and just not seen it.

I assume we still keeping him but it strange he not mentioned in updates today on rookie list from Carlton.
Just read Jordan Boyd that we also took in mid-season draft will remain a Blue in 2022 on rookie list but no news on Mirkov.
Surely we not let him go like we did with Josh DeLuca after only 6 months from mid-season rookie draft?

At this stage from news read in last hour I can see Category A for 2022 will see Parks, Boyd and Oscar McDonald as Category A rookie listed and Owies Category B
The List Management intention is to re-contract Lochie O'Brien and Cotttrell via the rookie draft.

Thought in news it would at least mention him along with Boyd from mid-season rookie draft but nothing....
Can only assume oversight by whomever announced it. Just cannot see any reason would not keep Mirkov.

In these two Co-Vid seasons it seems stiff on some youngsters at all clubs that get de-listed when a lot of time they only had scratch matches to try to develop.
Sam Ramsay stiff so half expected he might get re-drafted via rookie list but if not mentioned as such today it appears not.
I personally not seen enough of him to even make any real judgement on him. But I think he been at club as long as Carroll but Carroll did at least catch my eye in small amount of reserves footy that played via 7plus, youtube or Kayo in earlier part of season.

Anyway, hopefully club confirm Mirkov is rookie listed for 2022 in some form of update in coming days or maybe they already mentioned it somewhere else and just not seen it.

No need to stress. Mirkov was initially signed on an 18 month contract. 👍🏼

Can’t wait to see what he can do.

Mirkov was listed/contracted for 18 months at the mid season draft. He has a contract for 2022

No need to stress. Mirkov was initially signed on an 18 month contract. 👍🏼

Can’t wait to see what he can do.
ok, cool if true. I thought those mid-season rookie drafts were just a standard 6 month contract at first.
If 18 months then very happy to hear.
The only reserves match I went to all season was against Brisbane and turn up slightly late thinking it early second quarter as scoreboard had us on 12 goals already. Turned out first quarter was not done yet and most of the goal scoring avalanche I missed, apparently was a result of Mirkov palming ball to guys like Dow in midfield. Mind you, I assume Lions ruck on day was not much opposition for it to end up like that. But I assume that game was the one that got recruiters keen to get him in mid-season rookie draft.

ok, cool if true. I thought those mid-season rookie drafts were just a standard 6 month contract at first.
If 18 months then very happy to hear.
The only reserves match I went to all season was against Brisbane and turn up slightly late thinking it early second quarter as scoreboard had us on 12 goals already. Turned out first quarter was not done yet and most of the goal scoring avalanche I missed, apparently was a result of Mirkov palming ball to guys like Dow in midfield. Mind you, I assume Lions ruck on day was not much opposition for it to end up like that. But I assume that game was the one that got recruiters keen to get him in mid-season rookie draft.
Mid season rookies get to choose whether they want to nominate for a 6 or 18 month contract I think.
I'm so excited to see what Mirkov can do after seeing some of his tapwork. That Brisbane game you mentioned was incredible. His leap combined with his soft hands and finesse taps reminded me of Natanui.
Has a lot to learn about getting around the ground but hopefully we can develop that.

FO5SgB6VIAEUzT2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the replay of the VFL game last week. Even before getting injured he was beaten soundly by Tom Campbell in ruck contests. Mirkov has the height and leap, but Campbell positioned himself well and was significantly stronger. He had done his homework. I think Alex has a huge upside but it may be a while before he is AFL ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back