Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news that he has signed a new deal. Although I'm not sure that this will guarantee that he won't want to leave back to Ireland before the end of the contract. 2 years let alone 3 or 4 years is a long time and things can change. Contracts are almost irrelevant these days anyway.

He was gone but Essendon doubled their offer after realising the demand from other clubs. His brother is moving to Australia and would've moved with him to Brisbane to make the transition easy.

No, they didn't.

Good news that he has signed a new deal. Although I'm not sure that this will guarantee that he won't want to leave back to Ireland before the end of the contract. 2 years let alone 3 or 4 years is a long time and things can change. Contracts are almost irrelevant these days anyway.
that's fine- County Tyrone will just have to make an acceptable trade offer. 2 first rounders should do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called contract negotiation. He was never 'gone'. Leave the mayo jar at home next time hey?

Precisely this.

There is little doubt that McKenna's form generated interest, which in turn led to Essendon having to negotiate with him.

But he is happy in Melbourne after some initial issues, and in no way was he as our the door as some are trying to claim.

Yep. He could meet a lovely Australian lass and settle down and start producing father and son picks. ;)

I am delighted about this signing. We can all see - he's got all the attributes to be a top line rebounding defender. Great pace, skills and vision - does occasionally make some blues with decision making but generally he's pretty good. McKenna just needs a bit more time and experience at AFL level to get to the elite level. He could have a Jason Johanissen 2016 calibre season as early as next year in my opinion. Plus it means we are way more likely to be able to release McGrath into the midfield full time next year as a result.

Obviously EFC feels the same - because they would not have offered a 4 year deal otherwise. Normally 4 year + deals are reserved for very good players. Mind you not every player wants the longer deal in this current environment. EFC has signed up quite a few players recently to longer deals like Hurley, Zaharakis, Hooker, Heppell and so far we I don't think we've regretted it - in fact with the player payments increasing it may have helped us a bit as if we had only given shorter deals they would have been asking for more in a year or two's time.

Absolutely stoked. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the All Australian squad in the next couple of years, which will make this contract seem very cheap.

I am delighted about this signing. We can all see - he's got all the attributes to be a top line rebounding defender. Great pace, skills and vision - does occasionally make some blues with decision making but generally he's pretty good. McKenna just needs a bit more time and experience at AFL level to get to the elite level. He could have a Jason Johanissen 2016 calibre season as early as next year in my opinion. Plus it means we are way more likely to be able to release McGrath into the midfield full time next year as a result.

Obviously EFC feels the same - because they would not have offered a 4 year deal otherwise. Normally 4 year + deals are reserved for very good players. Mind you not every player wants the longer deal in this current environment. EFC has signed up quite a few players recently to longer deals like Hurley, Zaharakis, Hooker, Heppell and so far we I don't think we've regretted it - in fact with the player payments increasing it may have helped us a bit as if we had only given shorter deals they would have been asking for more in a year or two's time.

100% agree with your summation.

No, they didn't.
His brother was preparing to move to Brisbane with his girlfriend, I can assure you that. The offer was substantial from Brisbane and Essendon decided to match it. As of two weeks ago Conor was happy heading to Brisbane.

His brother was preparing to move to Brisbane with his girlfriend, I can assure you that. The offer was substantial from Brisbane and Essendon decided to match it. As of two weeks ago Conor was happy heading to Brisbane.

Hang on, I thought the brother was moving to Brisbane to "make the transition easy"?

What preceded what?

I am looking forward to your answer because I want to give you a score out of 10 as a storyteller.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back