Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

And I think I'm okay with that. It can be quite a ride though. Think he's definitely more of a weapon up the ground though where a mistake doesn't necessarily mean a goal against.
Yeah im ok with it to. Its definitely a bit death or glory at times but he seems like the sort that has to play on instinct or it will never work.

Best game by a long way this year and probably in Essendon colours. I don’t think he put a foot wrong. Was very damaging. Hawks couldn’t hold their tackles on him. I think he was one of the biggest differences between the 2 teams.

If he could play consistently like that I’d never criticise him again.

Yeah, I thought he was one of the few stands outs from the ground (in a game that was really pretty poor).

My impression is that the quality of his defensive work last night was excellent but then he's only been credited with a signgle 1%er.

Nevertheless it arguably the best game he has played, and certainly one of the best rounded (in terms of the balance of defence and attack).

Does that solo count like a bounce in terms of resetting how far you have run? Feel like it should...if you kicked it 5m it definitely would.
I find it amazing that our game, that is pretty old, every year throws up strange things where the rules are not clear. We seem to see things that we have never seen before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was sensational on Friday night, in our top few players for sure.

Was even better on the replay.

He was so strong at the ball all night.

He's basically now playing the footy I hoped he would play when he first started to play half back in 2016/2017 (and opposed to players as good as Breust and Sicily).

Last edited:
Does that solo count like a bounce in terms of resetting how far you have run? Feel like it should...if you kicked it 5m it definitely would.
It's a kick, so yes.

nice ball drop;)

I can't help think he realised he'd fluffed the ball drop and intentionally adjusted his kick so the ball came back to him instead.

I'm sure he's done it in another game where you could clearly tell he'd changed his mind mid-kick and turned it into a solo so he could have another go at finding a target.

His ability to find space in confined spaces and to slice through a clump of players is a rare skill which few have in the AFL - The only issue which needs more development is his tackling technique.

2k fine for striking Finlayson

McKenna has been charged with striking Giant Jeremy Finlayson in the second quarter of the match at Marvel Stadium, with the incident assessed as intentional, low impact and body contact.

He can accept a $2000 fine with an early plea as a first offence.

A bit quiet in this thread, eh. Been very good. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player run out games the way he does. He looks as if he could play another game straight after.

Last edited:
Had a huge game he setup a few goals and smashed tackles.
How good would it have been if he kicked that goal where he started at half back and took 4 bounces through the middle and ended up on the 50 with another bounce and running shot, would have been epic.

Had a huge game he setup a few goals and smashed tackles.
How good would it have been if he kicked that goal where he started at half back and took 4 bounces through the middle and ended up on the 50 with another bounce and running shot, would have been epic.
Maybe needs to practise those. Looks amazing but it's like c****** too quickly when he misses.

Love him and what he gives to our team - energy, dynamism, unpredictability, penetration, metres gained, chaos, potatoes.

There were more than a few posters earlier this year that wanted him far away from our team and my immediate thought was, typical short-sightedness of fans sulking after a loss or two. We are very lucky to have his skill-set and all-round athleticism. He is exactly the type of player you persist with patiently because when it all comes together you get a unique talent that few other clubs have an equivalent of.

In absolutely ripping nick, I’m more than happy to cop him biting off more than he can chew once or twice a game if we get this McKenna.

He’s crashing packs and killing contests in the air and busting open congestion by running straight out of it.

Will be seen as a danger player more and more. Starting to get it around the middle as well. Very damaging player

Sure you get the odd mistake but he butters up immediately no matter what (will take the next kick in after a stuff up etc). I'd say this attitude is what has made him so coachable and why his upside could still be very high.

Add to this attitude rare athletic capabilities and mongrel and you have the full Irish package.

Love him and what he gives to our team - energy, dynamism, unpredictability, penetration, metres gained, chaos, potatoes.

There were more than a few posters earlier this year that wanted him far away from our team and my immediate thought was, typical short-sightedness of fans sulking after a loss or two. We are very lucky to have his skill-set and all-round athleticism. He is exactly the type of player you persist with patiently because when it all comes together you get a unique talent that few other clubs have an equivalent of.

This forum can be so reactionary at times. We've had calls for Tippa, McKenna and Redman to get dropped at different points. When you have blokes with game changing attributes that are actually performing well in the seniors (even if they put in the odd stinker or two) you back them in repeatedly. I'm not saying you never drop them, but its certainly not your first inclination, its much better to work with these players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back