Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

A player from another code ended up in a bali jail for punching a security guard. I prefer this.

Worsfold 'disappointed' McKenna put himself at risk in Gaelic game #AFL: Essendon coach John Worsfold says Conor McKenna took a big risk by playing Gaelic football in Ireland.... https://t.co/Jdv0uUf0AR

Hey, isn't offseason meant to be about fluff and hope?

Did Essendon pay for the trip home? Is it in the salary cap?

Cubs in general seem to be more tolerant of players doing other sporting activities in off season, like Wines and water skiing.

I don't see it as a big issue if it wasn't too competetive, in fact might be a good outlet. I think if players have grown up doing a particular sport they are more likely to not take stupid risks.

Not sure if any sports are specifically banned, like snow skiing?

Garry Lyon: Hey Woosha what's Conor McKenna doing? He's a very important part of your set up, love watching him and Saad and the rest of them come bouncing off half back. He's gone home and he's started playing Gaelic footy!

Woosha: Yeah, nah again that was something we weren't aware of, we certainly didn't send him back there to play footy, but so yeah I was really disappointed when I heard that because we know that he's passionate about his Gaelic footy, he's passionate about footy, he's an energetic young man, you know his personalty is so up and about so I can imagine them saying you know, you want to have a kick?

GL: Yeah they all did it, Jimmy did it, Shaun White did it, they all did it

Yeah it puts them at risk, of doing something that's outside their contract so like in effect it puts them at a higher risk of costing themselves a contract or a lot of money if they get a serious injury.

But you know I've reflected on it and you know I won't speak to Conor until he gets back, I will be disappointed that he played and at least didn't feel like he could have rung and just checked. I would've loved him to

GL: He would've known the answer

Yeah that's right, he could've had a compelling argument. I think it was only last weekend from all accounts, he would've been due to do a 7 or 8 kilometre footy type session, kicking the ball, running flat out. So this would be his argument, I can tell you.

But he went and did it in a non-contact environment so out of everything you can do as a footballer off-season, going and playing non-contact football would be the best. Better than going and doing snow skiing or playing basketball or or playing rugby - something you don't do day in and day out.

He went and did something that's probably the safest form of exercise that he could possibly do, he just did it in a competitive environment even though it's a non-tackling, non-collision environment.

GL: So who has spoken to him from the club?

Ah Dan Richardson would've tried to get hold of Conor or at least have spoken to his management and we'll sort that out when he gets back. It's hard. Having the conversation with him right now might be just 'if there's another game on this week, don't play, when you get back we'll just talk through why it's not appropriate and the risks that you're taking.

But in terms of physical risks, I'm pretty comfortable that he wasn't putting himself at massive danger. As I said players at that stage of their off-season are really starting to ramp up getting ready for full training, and they should be running flat out and they should be kicking the ball. You know in terms of doing something out of the ordinary he certainly didn't do that.

I am happy that Mckenna is keeping himself active and playing some gaelic footy during his holidays - Wish more players would do the same.

Garry Lyon: Hey Woosha what's Conor McKenna doing? He's a very important part of your set up, love watching him and Saad and the rest of them come bouncing off half back. He's gone home and he's started playing Gaelic footy!

Woosha: Yeah, nah again that was something we weren't aware of, we certainly didn't send him back there to play footy, but so yeah I was really disappointed when I heard that because we know that he's passionate about his Gaelic footy, he's passionate about footy, he's an energetic young man, you know his personalty is so up and about so I can imagine them saying you know, you want to have a kick?

GL: Yeah they all did it, Jimmy did it, Shaun White did it, they all did it

Yeah it puts them at risk, of doing something that's outside their contract so like in effect it puts them at a higher risk of costing themselves a contract or a lot of money if they get a serious injury.

But you know I've reflected on it and you know I won't speak to Conor until he gets back, I will be disappointed that he played and at least didn't feel like he could have rung and just checked. I would've loved him to

GL: He would've known the answer

Yeah that's right, he could've had a compelling argument. I think it was only last weekend from all accounts, he would've been due to do a 7 or 8 kilometre footy type session, kicking the ball, running flat out. So this would be his argument, I can tell you.

But he went and did it in a non-contact environment so out of everything you can do as a footballer off-season, going and playing non-contact football would be the best. Better than going and doing snow skiing or playing basketball or or playing rugby - something you don't do day in and day out.

He went and did something that's probably the safest form of exercise that he could possibly do, he just did it in a competitive environment even though it's a non-tackling, non-collision environment.

GL: So who has spoken to him from the club?

Ah Dan Richardson would've tried to get hold of Conor or at least have spoken to his management and we'll sort that out when he gets back. It's hard. Having the conversation with him right now might be just 'if there's another game on this week, don't play, when you get back we'll just talk through why it's not appropriate and the risks that you're taking.

But in terms of physical risks, I'm pretty comfortable that he wasn't putting himself at massive danger. As I said players at that stage of their off-season are really starting to ramp up getting ready for full training, and they should be running flat out and they should be kicking the ball. You know in terms of doing something out of the ordinary he certainly didn't do that.

Please don’t tell me you are transcribing these

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woosh just played with the magnets all off season

What do we think the chances are of this guy playing forward in 2020 (or ever)?
Somewhat ironically - would his lack of defensive mindset reduce this likelihood given we will be most likely looking to increase forward defensive pressure in the near future?

Somewhat ironically - would his lack of defensive mindset reduce this likelihood given we will be most likely looking to increase forward defensive pressure in the near future?
Actually I'll disagree with this. He does work hard defensively but it's more the fact that he struggles as a one on one defender. As far as harassing etc goes he's pretty good

Actually I'll disagree with this. He does work hard defensively but it's more the fact that he struggles as a one on one defender. As far as harassing etc goes he's pretty good
What about tackling? According to the tackling thread he's our effective tackler as well.

I like that he has an attacking mindset and I'm not saying he couldn't play forward but personally I'd prefer his creativity with the ball in hand to be spotting up forwards and pinging the odd running goal from a wing.

What about tackling? According to the tackling thread he's our effective tackler as well.

I like that he has an attacking mindset and I'm not saying he couldn't play forward but personally I'd prefer his creativity with the ball in hand to be spotting up forwards and pinging the odd running goal from a wing.
Oh no I like him off HB too. I was just saying that he does work hard defensively even if he's not very good at locking players down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back