Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets be honest, half our team had a shocker. Cats blocked our run very effectively.

Would like him to break lines then deliver penetrating kicks (has in the past). Seems to be trying too hard with the short dinky kicks, maybe a directive, but not working.

At least he takes the game on. Has more good games than bad.

The short dinky kicks are his flaw. Anything low, hard and under 30 mtrs has risk factor personified.

Anytime high, floaty and under 30 mtrs gets read easily by any opposition player who has half a brain and is even more risky.

I like it when he runs, baulks, bounces gains mtrs and then gives off an effective handpass to someone who knows what to do with the ball and can kick it...except don’t give it to Myers.

No kicking for Connor please.

Essendon's Conor McKenna can read football 'like no other' but his AFL rise almost did not happen

It was a cold January day in Dublin and Conor McKenna's dad Pat had just dropped the young rookie at the airport to fly back to Melbourne for season 2015.

He had followed the usual ritual: sleep on the drive to Dublin, then get out of the car without looking back.

Today was different. When he arrived at the check-in desk, McKenna was told his flight had been delayed for 24 hours. He was jubilant.

"It felt like the best thing in the world to me at that point," McKenna said.

"It was such a relief. I didn't want to go back to Australia."

The then-18-year-old had spent much of the day trying to convince his dad he should remain at home and do what everyone in his community expected him to do — be a star for County Tyrone's Gaelic football team.

PHOTO: Conor McKenna moved across the world to become a formidable AFL player. (ABC News: Scott Jewell)

First game, kick and goal
McKenna spent his youth dominating for his school and his club Eglish, as well as the county under-18 side.

Playing senior football was a natural progression.

He had been signed by Essendon in 2014 after he impressed selectors at an AFL draft camp in Ireland.

He returned home for Christmas having completed the first couple of months of his first AFL pre-season, then didn't want to go back.

"I was struggling to go back. My dad didn't force me, but he advised me that it was the right thing to do. It wasn't easy," McKenna said.​
"I'd advise any Irish player that it is hard, but it's worth it if you can get through that."

His decision to persist with his AFL dream yielded results quickly.

He's even been described by Bombers development coach Mark Corrigan as having an ability to read the game "like no other" in the team.

In the first game of his first year, he kicked his first goal, with his first kick.

PHOTO: Bombers player Conor McKenna decided to pursue a career in the AFL, rather than playing Gaelic football in Ireland. (AAP: Dave Hunt)

For him, and for those who witnessed the feat, even more memorable than that statistic was the reaction of his teammates and in particular, Joe Daniher.

The Essendon star fist-pumped wildly, in a manner that he rarely replicates for his own majors.

"They all recognise and understood the challenge that Conor faced when he moved here to take up a game he's never played before," Corrigan said.​
"I think [the celebration] was almost the culminating effect of all the hours he's put in and how hard he worked and that little piece of reward he got … he's a really family driven person so I can't begin to understand what he was going through at the time when he moved out."

The bite of the AFL bubble
Despite his quick rise to prominence, it has not always been easy.

When McKenna ended up at the tribunal on a biting charge last year, he fully experienced the intensity of AFL coverage in Melbourne's footy bubble.

The then-22-year-old, who ended up on the front page of a Melbourne newspaper when he was banned for three weeks, is philosophical about the furore around his tribunal visit.

"That's the way Melbourne is, you're the headline for one week. Then something else happens and you're forgotten about," McKenna said.​
"That's why it doesn't really bother me what people think of me."

Through the tough times, he's lucky to have family close by.

PHOTO: Conor McKenna is part of a group of Melbourne-based Irish AFL players dubbed 'The Irish Takeover'.(ABC News: Scott Jewell)

He now lives with his brother Ryan, who moved to Australia with his girlfriend Stacey.

His sister Kerri has just returned to Ireland after six months in Melbourne and his other brother, Emmet, has plans to move down under in October.

His parents Pat and Sheila have a horse-training business back home, but visit as often as they can.

'The Irish Takeover'
Then there's his other family, the Melbourne-based Irish AFL players, including the two Conors from Hawthorn — Nash and Glass — who have been a constant support.

They have a WhatsApp group called "The Irish Takeover" but there is one man they are all trying to emulate — former Sydney Swan Tadhg Kennelly, who helped recruit McKenna by inviting him to an AFL draft combine in Ireland.

Kennelly not only won a premiership, he returned home and won an all-Ireland with his native County Kerry.

PHOTO: Former Sydney Swan Tadhg Kennelly helped to recruit Conor McKenna to the AFL. (Sergio Dionisio: AAP)

While McKenna grew up dreaming of winning an all-Ireland football title for Tyrone, he now dreams of one day winning a premiership with Essendon and, in an ideal scenario, returning home for a tilt at an all-Ireland medal.

If he did win a premiership, he's not so sure he would celebrate with a jig, as the man who recruited him did.

"I've been out with Tadhg a couple of times, he's a horrible dancer, always has been, always will be," McKenna said.​
"But you never know, I'd have to try something to get one over on him," he laughed.

If McKenna does realise his dream, once thing is for certain.

He'll have the support of his fellow compatriots, or should we say the "takeover" members.

Sorry but I hate his kicking style. It’s a 50/50 type delivery when he’s trying to pinpoint a target with no room for error by mtrs...and that’s not good enough in today’s modern game.

When someone is out in space out on a wing ..sure..he can put it out there and if it’s goes astray a bit they can run onto it.

The ball drop is a hybrid Irish/Aussie football style that here to stay. He won’t be improving his kicks now. This is how he is after years of so called development.

Don't think this describes Mckenna kicking at all. I'd say 90% of his turnovers come from bad decision making not poor execution.

I really enjoy Mckenna's willingness to take the dangerous option but it seems sides have woken up to the fact he's going to look for the risky option and aren't caught napping anymore.

That goes both ways, there are some around here that refuse to acknowledge strengths.

Mate, it’s elite Australian rules footy.

If you have obvious flaws that continue to be exposed at the expense of team defence...then you’re open to scrutiny.

Premiership teams have few weaknesses.

Don't think this describes Mckenna kicking at all. I'd say 90% of his turnovers come from bad decision making not poor execution.

I really enjoy Mckenna's willingness to take the dangerous option but it seems sides have woken up to the fact he's going to look for the risky option and aren't caught napping anymore.

Lol wat?

Poor excursion IS bad decisions.

That’s the point 🙄

Under pressure he’s tremendously suspect and a massive massive risk of turning the ball over.

He just fumbled an easy pick up right then ffs.

Underwhelming

I have been calling for him to be moved up the ground for 2 years now and look what happened when he did. he got involved and moved us forward constructively.

He is an attacking player who bites off more than he can chew. Sometimes that is brilliant and sometimes it goes pear shaped.

Completely different style of player but mentality on the field is like Steve Johnson.

He could be a game winner up forward, he is a game loser down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like every 23 year old with 60-odd games under their belt. He'd be top 10 in the BnF right now for me. Played well in 6 of the 7 games IMO. Over the past 4 years I would say that he's played 50 or so average to good ones and maybe half a dozen poor ones. Which you always seem to jump in here to disparage.
Wowsers.

He’s a less than average footballer with leg speed.

Probably the dumbest player on our list , needs to keep it simple and stop trying to invent kicks that he is not capable of executing.
Having said that whoever give's him the green light to take the kick ins should be sacked !!

I think he's great, and our team is significantly better when he is in, compared to when he is not. On balance his positive contribution far outweighs the negative.

He's one of the few things about the EFC that makes me smile. He had a few * ups on Friday, but he wasn't on his Paddy Malone there. Honestly, I don't know how people can stay mad at him for this long?

I like him. He’s still young. There’s time for him to bring composure to his electrifying traits. He has a good kick on him. Yes, it goes awry at times but for an Irishman, he kicks with more penetration, and inventiveness than most of our Aussie ‘naturals’. He’s got excellent sideways movement in traffic too. Whether or not he remains a defender is the only question. I think he can still offer his best in the current role.

I think he's great, and our team is significantly better when he is in, compared to when he is not. On balance his positive contribution far outweighs the negative.

He's one of the few things about the EFC that makes me smile. He had a few **** ups on Friday, but he wasn't on his Paddy Malone there. Honestly, I don't know how people can stay mad at him for this long?
As much as I love your optimism I’m over supporting a mediocre club with mediocre players. After 15 years of it I’ve just about lost all faith in Essendon.

He’s done more to get me excited than most of our young players tbh. Who else his age or under has produced as much inspiring footy? McGrath in patches. Francis in a few games. Nothing compared to the volume of inspiring stuff shown by McKenna. We need his type in our side especially when other teams are crying out for speed and adventure. Enjoy the ride Bomber fans.

He's one of the few things about the EFC that makes me smile. He had a few **** ups on Friday, but he wasn't on his Paddy Malone there. Honestly, I don't know how people can stay mad at him for this long?
Had a few **** ups on Friday ,had a nightmare against Geelong and was terrible on Anzac day but we excuse him because he's Irish ??. If he is to continue in the team please let it be as a forward because he sucks the energy out of the team with his costly turnovers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back