Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Made mistakes early in his career and will make many more still.

However. You can't teach his attacking nature. His mentality to go forward at all costs breaks defences apart.

Called it two years ago.

Lots of mistakes over that time but he brings something unique to the team that other teams strugglento contain.

Still super young.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
It’s no coincidence we started winning games when this bloke turned his form around, so important! Teams are sending players to Saad to lock him down but McKenna has been every bit as dangerous the past month.

I genuinely do not care when he fluffs a kick, he probably hits them 3 times out of 4 and when they come off we’re away.

tha Freak

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Saad and McKenna are the Dons 2 most influential players in imo. They break line lines and open up the forward attacks. Their run and carries give us a hugh advantage. Both are way out in front in terms of bounces and they set the tone for our game play.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
It’s no coincidence we started winning games when this bloke turned his form around, so important! Teams are sending players to Saad to lock him down but McKenna has been every bit as dangerous the past month.

I genuinely do not care when he fluffs a kick, he probably hits them 3 times out of 4 and when they come off we’re away.
What a headache for opposition coaches to have to try and shut down 2 DEFENDERS

What a headache for opposition coaches to have to try and shut down 2 DEFENDERS
... Whilst one is simultaneously shutting down your best small forward.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Coming down the right flank, the half back saw poor Lachlan Murphy charging in and he set him up devastatingly for a trip to the shops.

Adelaide's Murphy attempts to block McKenna's wound-up right boot only for the oval ball to disappear, back in the clutches of the cheeky Tyrone man, who rounds him and picks out a pass as Murphy is left with a shopping list and shaken ankle.

:D

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
This guy just does not give a fu**. Plays the game completely on his own terms.

I love him.

There is basically nothing "Irish" about him in a negative sense anymore. He's very solid, even if awkward looking above head, can actually sit on a quality small and thrives on the physical side of the game (as much as anyone). The last month is like he's playing some new hybrid game. He's fulfilling all of those unrealistic expectations we have as fans - for him to be basically perfect.

I can't think of a guy who has played who had his set of physical capabilities.

He's "Dangerfield light" (and really only just "light") in terms of explosive power, build and strength but has the agility of an indigenous player.

Maybe S. Burgoyne at his absolute best (before injuries cost him agility, etc) or a young Buddy. I reckon Cockatoo had the combination (though I'd be surprised if he still does).

Pray to god that he stays injury free. Imagine what he could do in 300 games. He might be thought of like KB or Polly Farmer as a player who changed the way the game is played.

Last edited:
Back