Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

worst part in all this is now dodo will have an excuse to draft a half back flanker
And be right to. We currently have Gleeson, Ridley, Redman, Saad, McQuillan and sort of Guelfi as "small" defenders or half backs. We were probably one short this season, hence Guelfi playing back.

I'd like to see him get his 100. Was one of the things I was wondering about - he's only a full season off it at 79.

Being away from your family during a pandemic must be awful, knowing if someone gets it you might not be able to get back in time.
yeah - it would be terribly hard, plus it sounds like he is really close to them as well. I'd love him to come back!

So not ruling out coming back to AFL at some point in the future, trying to get his 100 games milestone. Wouldn't be the first Irishman to do that either 👀

I thought that before I even watched it. Didn’t Marty Clarke do the same at Collingwood?

He’s clearly got a bit itch to play top level Gaelic footy, but if he achieves over the next few years... jeez the lure of quitting work and playing professional sport for big money again must be huge.

Guess the only question is, can we get him straight onto the list easily enough without somebody else drafting him.

All over the news about his treatment by the media over his covid results. Was really no suprise it was most likely his last season

I thought that before I even watched it. Didn’t Marty Clarke do the same at Collingwood?

He’s clearly got a bit itch to play top level Gaelic footy, but if he achieves over the next few years... jeez the lure of quitting work and playing professional sport for big money again must be huge.

Guess the only question is, can we get him straight onto the list easily enough without somebody else drafting him.
Assuming rules don't change, he'd either be an International Scholarship Holder or an SSP prospect (Mumford style). I doubt he'd be forced into the draft.

Tell him to play there for 3 years then technically he's eligible for Cat B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved him, close to my favourite player.
But best he is going home, essendon can't have players who aren't committed to being here, and sadly that was obviously the case this year.

Wish him all the best. Absolutely loved him as a player. I'm so glad we got to see him have such a consistent quality season last year and honestly we probably still never saw the absolute best of him.

I'll always hold a nagging hope that he returns in 2-3 years. Hopefully to an Essendon that's a far better team than we are at present.

For mine, Conor's retirement and his comments about the standard of football journalism should be one of the biggest stories of 2020. It won't be, because the fourth estate won't allow it. Mostly, they will be indignant or just silent. I'm yet to see coverage of Conor's statements on the AFL website, not surprisingly. Congratulations to Conor for a brief but entertaining career. He's a good footballer and seems like a good bloke. And well done to him for pointing out the enormous elephant in the room. "Disgraceful" is the word that he used, and I'd have to sadly concur.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back