Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Howd McKenna go defensively on the weekend? With his lack of contested marking impact in the air alongside poor defensive efforts(?) he might not create enough run to actually be a good inclusion in the backline. Both weaknesses can be worked on though. Was good to see him have a good game on the weekend.
Didn't notice him having a direct oponant but made whatever forward he was playing on look rather silly with the amount of freedom he got. Took a few intercept marks so wasn't all just receiving the ball by hand.

In terms of marking and ball in the air, he's actually the exact opposite of Quinn and we should be careful not to paint him with the same brush. He's actually very capable and fairly strong in the air. He also has good pace and is a very nice deliverer of the ball.

I kind of wanted him as a small forward, especially after getting a bit of a taste of small forward life in the AFL last year. But half-back certainly could be his place. I am further okay with this as I'd like to move Tippa up the ground to a wing potentially, as his overheard marking and size could hurt him, and he is very dangerous delivering the ball inside 50.
Finally, I'd love Fantasia up the ground, but man that was something to watch on Sunday him up forward. I'd be inclined to keep him there and allow Colyer and Tippa to be our run through the middle.

In summary (in terms of genuine pace):
Backline: McKenna
Midfield: Colyer and Tippa
Forwards: Fantasia

AFAIK, i have not seen him play HB. with the excepton of being around HB. And my problem was you comparing him to Hibberd... which is quite frankly ridiculous. Guys is taller and 10kg heavier and kicks like a mule.. and he is not in the same pace catergory as Mckenna.... but as you say... you see it diffrently.

And i asked if this was even true, or was it the fact he was pressing up the ground as a forward, which was a highlight of his game.... which for the untrained eye could be seen as being a HBF.... but isnt.

Ive watched about 2-3 of the games i think...and quite a few last year, and have yet to see him play HB.. so, maybe they did? I didnt see it in the highlight of him passing off that goal.

He is/would be wasted there. not tall enough to spoil or out mark and too light to out bustle in a contested situation with bigger forwards. He could play on a small forward like a Baguley roll... but better forward than deep back.

Gleeson is 190cm and is cemented in all but for some lousy disposals time to time. Ashby has been killing in the VFL, so much that opposition coaches focused on him, came in to AFL against giants and made a difference straight away.... will he continue there in 2017? it will depend on other players coming back.

WTF

What like saying gleeson cant play in the back line, which he has for 3 seasons now..

WTF are you going on about - People who watched the game stated it appeared McKenna played most of the game at h/b - It was also mentioned in a VFL report on the clubs website - Maybe Mckenna played ruck but for all intents and purposes Mckenna played a good portion of the game at HB - The reasson why it was discussed was for two reasons -McKenna played a good game and apparently in a new role.

You are arguing for no reason.

Last edited:

Has had a strange season, good to very good in the VFL but struggled when he went up a level. Was very good again on Saturday.

i think they have experimented with him a lot. hasnt been able to settle in a role. we saw last year that he is capable at AFL level.

Has had a strange season, good to very good in the VFL but struggled when he went up a level. Was very good again on Saturday.

He seems very confident at VFL level but when he plays AFL he is like a deer in headlights. Agree he was very good and deserves to come back in to the AFL.

Was thinking the same thing last week ...then I sat back and reflected on the fact that he's 20 years old, in his second year of playing the sport at any level and he's killing it in the VFL. It's actually pretty impressive.

We all want more from him because he is such strong physical traits, but realistically where he's at is pretty bloody good given where he started.

As an aside, I reckon he sometimes forgets that AFL is a tackling game when he's running with the ball - just tries to run past people without using a step or fake of any description.Could be wrong, just feel like his evasive efforts are a little odd at times given how agile and powerful he actually is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of McKenna's battle at AFL level is his team-mates having confidence in his ability - Too many times not used when he should be.

surely they have confidence in him. if they arent using him when they should be the coaches will be all over it.

At this point I'd think we'd give him another year. He's done enough.

I'd be giving McKenna another two years - Is showing outstanding signs for a second year player who is foreign to the game.

Upgrade next year? While I'm at it, what's the rule on how long a player can remain a rookie? Are there any blokes we have to upgrade or delist?

Upgrade next year? While I'm at it, what's the rule on how long a player can remain a rookie? Are there any blokes we have to upgrade or delist?
1. Next year as in after next season? If so agree.
2. 3 years
3. No. Wallis, Nyuon, Walla, Hams 1st year; Long, McKenna 2nd year.

I'd be giving McKenna another two years - Is showing outstanding signs for a second year player who is foreign to the game.
I'd be amazed if cutting him was ever in the equation but if it was I'd say there'd be a heap of clubs all over him. Huge upside and the bombers coaching staff seem to have cottoned on that he'll learn the game better, while having more of an impact on the game from the half back flank.

He was good today, composed in traffic and tackled well. Gotta say I was amazed at the switch of him and walla (what a ripper btw) in the final quarter, both were doing well in the roles they were in. Weird move.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back