Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit of an indictment on the rest of the teams goal kicking when he's able to slot them from 50, having only kicked a footy for less than 3 years...

Would you include Dea in that?
not really as he isn't on the list for 2017.
And even if he was, i'd prefer to view him as depth to Hooker, Bags, Hartley, McKenna, Ambrose and hopefully Hurley and Hibberd.
Marty Dea just needs to show he's only interested in going to Essendon and clubs won't touch him.
And if he snag him late like Hartley, Brown, that's gonna be a good bargain for us.
Possibly there is a "good faith" approach to the draft in cases like these where if he was to want to continue his career with us, most clubs would let him go and not derail that.
Not sure how they'd feel with the top ups though.

Matty Dea just needs to show he's only interested in going to Essendon and clubs won't touch him.

not really as he isn't on the list for 2017.
And even if he was, i'd prefer to view him as depth to Hooker, Bags, Hartley, McKenna, Ambrose and hopefully Hurley and Hibberd.

And if he snag him late like Hartley, Brown, that's gonna be a good bargain for us.
Possibly there is a "good faith" approach to the draft in cases like these where if he was to want to continue his career with us, most clubs would let him go and not derail that.
Not sure how they'd feel with the top ups though.

Correct me if I am wrong but the top ups are being treated as delisted free agents are they not?

If Dea wants to be a Bomber we will sign him during the relevant period with no draft pick required.

Correct me if I am wrong but the top ups are being treated as delisted free agents are they not?

If Dea wants to be a Bomber we will sign him during the relevant period with no draft pick required.
if they are, that is awesome. particularly for them given they have done us a service this year, so being able to deal directly with any club is a good reward for them.

That said, Dea and Kelly are probably the only 2 likely to attract interest and Kelly doesn't seem that keen

Na, have to go through the draft/psd/rookie.

Twomey must have a bit of time on his hands at the moment, or else a backlog of EFC articles that haven't been getting a run....

Callum Twomey said:
Rapid rise for Irish speedster McKenna
THE MOST difficult thing Conor McKenna found when wrapping his head around the AFL code two years ago upon joining Essendon had nothing to do with kicking the Sherrin. The Irish product could do that well already, and on both feet.

It wasn't the running that was required, and the physicality didn't bother him either. McKenna was already one of Gaelic football's most gifted youngsters when he left there at the end of 2014 to pursue a career with the Bombers.

The biggest change from his natural sport to his adopted one was the fact he got to have a break. "Our game back home is so free-flowing and once we're on the ground we stay on," McKenna told AFL.com.au this week.

"The first game I played for Essendon was in the NAB Challenge at the start of last year against St Kilda and it was a big shock to me coming on and off the ground.

"There were times I felt fine and didn't want to come off, but that was just how the rotations worked. And then some other times when I was tired I stayed on the ground, so it worked both ways. I didn't think I'd get used to it."

There has been plenty McKenna has had to familiarise himself with in the past two years since officially joining the Bombers as an international category B rookie, and it's all happened fast.

He joined the Bombers six months after first picking up a Sherrin, and in his first game of Australian Football (for the European legion against the AFL's national academy in London) he kicked four goals and was best afield.

After settling in at Essendon (following a short stint at captain Jobe Watson's house), McKenna commented he hadn't moved to play in the VFL. He had his sights set on bigger things. And he had his mind set on how to get there.

The Bombers wanted him to spend his debut 2015 season training up as a half-back, but McKenna thought otherwise. "I insisted on playing in the forward line because I was a forward my whole career in Gaelic," the 20-year-old said.

"I'm happy I did that and learned the structures and plans of the forward line because I think that's the hardest place to learn and it gave me a good understanding of the game."

Three mornings a week he and fellow Bomber Orazio Fantasia completed craft sessions with development coach Paul Corrigan, and after those handball and kicking drills were done, McKenna would head up to Corrigan's office and learn game structures.

McKenna was elevated to the senior list for the final two games of the year – he booted a goal with his first kick of his first game against Richmond – and spent this pre-season continuing to focus on being an attacking and pacy small forward.

He started this year in the same place before coach John Worsfold intervened to move him into a half-back role. He's relished it of late, and picked up 22 disposals and kicked two goals.

"I've found my feet there and it's easier to read the game from there. I've been given the licence to take the game on and if I get tackled, I get tackled. I'm pretty happy going for it," McKenna said.

There are still things he is getting used to. Last week he was lucky not to be penalised for a deliberate rushed behind when he kicked a ball through for the Suns from nearly 20 metres out from goal in a tight fourth term. The AFL clarified that the Suns should have been awarded a free kick for McKenna's decision to boot it through, but he said it was just his first instinct.

"I didn't really think too much about it, but I was just happy enough they called it as they did," he said.

McKenna is out of contract at the end of this season but says he is keen to stay on and a deal to continue at Essendon is in the works.

"I'm keen to hang around," he said. "When I came over I wanted to play consistent AFL football at the top level and that's what I'm hoping to do. Hopefully next year I get that opportunity."

He caught up with Irish pair Darragh Joyce and Ray Connellan before the duo was recently signed by St Kilda, and told them they should take the plunge and pursue an AFL career. He's glad he has.

"A few Irish fellas text me and see how you're getting on and what it's like. There's one who is close to me who I went to school with and he's asked what I think of it and what it's been like," he said.

"I would encourage them all to have an opportunity if they get it. Go for it, and if you don't like it then go home. I've always said I'd hate to not take the opportunity and regret it for the rest of my life."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-19/irish-don-finds-his-feet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like a real find for us. Probably still needs a few years of development to reach his peak but If he continues to work on his game he could find himself best 22 next year even with a stronger squad.

I.know it's the Irish thing but I've never seen a guy with such ability to get a bouncing ball off the deck by any means, no matter how fickle it's bouncing or the pace he's going at....

Little love taps with the foot or hands then grabs in one motion

Interesting choice this year.

Do we keep him on the rookie list again or do we put him up like Tippa.

Think he earned his full list spot to be honest. Was very good towards the end of the season.

I'd keep him on as a rookie unless we are likely to need him in the best 22. If he's behind a couple of others there's no point upgrading until we have to. Do we have anyone on the long term injury list? If so I'd hold off upgrading him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back