Player Watch #45: Hamish Free - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be surprised if Edwards gets delisted.

Lol. Come on. Bloke was universally said to have gone in first round of draft if available. He is a 20 year old key position/ruck who came into the club arguably in our worst 18month period ever and you want to write him off? He now has clarko, Viney, ratten and monkey to help him develop, I rekon give him another 2 seasons grace.

Club obviously not confident in who is going to take the reign from Goldy moving forward. See this as another contender to throw his hat in the ring & demand that CCJ, Edwards & X improve.
Maybe another trade option for next year...

This has CCJ and Edwards nailed on for permanent forward roles in the VFL imo.

CCJ will be thrilled moving for more ruck time 😂
If he is threatened by and ultimately beaten for a spot by a 24 year old country footballer, he can hardly complain

Lol. Come on. Bloke was universally said to have gone in first round of draft if available. He is a 20 year old key position/ruck who came into the club arguably in our worst 18month period ever and you want to write him off? He now has clarko, Viney, ratten and monkey to help him develop, I rekon give him another 2 seasons grace.
Watch him play chb and dominate, tall, athletic and dual sided.

We've had a Hamish free list for a number of years, now with Hamish Free it's no longer Hamish free

Animated GIF

I would say our last 3 rookie picks were genuinely selected with our VFL team in mind. From what I can gather the last couple years have been a dogs breakfast and no real pressure on spots for the 1s. If this guy is rucking their mainly and giving our young kids the pill to fast track their development opposed to some hack who blows in on game day from the EDFL I have no issues, bonus if he comes on and plays 1s.
Seriously? Our vfl side should never be a factor. They can recruit for that outside of our afl list.

I don't know anything about the rucks that went just before this pick but this is a good pick for us.

In 21 Free shared the ruck with Higgins, a big blob of a player. Not tall but was able to win the tap by good positioning and using his bulk. Free used similar this season but is much more agile. I would say he moves better than X or CCJ.

Free and Meek were the clear best rucks in the WAFL this season. Meek has been in the AFL for 5 years and was traded to Hawthorn for O'Meara. Free gets a pre-season in and some coaching plus working with Goldy he could be next man up.

Season
League​
Team​
#GamesGoalsBehindsDisposalsKicksHandballsMarksHitOutsTacklesInside 50sW-L-D
WAFL​
20​
11​
0​
2​
107​
60​
47​
12​
380​
40​
28​
9-2-0​
WAFL​
20​
18​
4​
6​
215​
130​
85​
41​
750​
59​
60​
12-5-1​
29​
4​
8​
322​
190​
132​
53​
1130​
99​
88​
21-7-1​
Totals
21-7-1

IMO you need at least 4 players capable of playing ruck on your list. Goldy, Xerri, CCJ, Edwards and now Free. Will also mean we wont have to play an undersized suburban ruck in the VFL.
Ironic as said suburban ruckman for us this last year is the son of our new ruck coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this indicate we're not overly confident on Edwards coming on?
Perhaps the plan is to focus on developing him as a forward. I think out of CCJ, Free, X, and Edwards, Edwards seems to me the more likely to be a Fwd /Ruck , Free seems more pure ruck, while I think X and CJ are ruck/fwd.

No one is writing him off, he needs to work on his preparation. If he doesn't, he won't get 2 seasons grace

This pick has best available all over it.

Dont think we needed a ruck but CCJ, Xerri and Edwards really need to pull their finger out now.

Can see a scenario if Free has a big year where Xerri or CCJ become trade options at seasons end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back