Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Todd Goldstein - Legal
Free - Risk Advisory

Clarkson probably just assumes CCJ is studying neurosurgery and Xerri is enrolled in an aeronautical engineering program at MIT.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Hamish Free = The I want to break

vacuuming freddie mercury GIF

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reckon we are overthinking it here. Most sides will play 2 rucks this year. One is probably in his last year, one is a drink of water who is in danger of being delisted, one moonlights forward and then X. Most clubs have 4 or 5 ruckman. And if free plays seniors, then we will have 3 relatively handy young ruckmen entering their prime at a similar age. Just as likely however is free is back in the wafl next year

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
An absolute scrapper.

Positives
  • Repeat efforts allow him to impact for longer
  • Tackles with aggression
  • While his kicking isn't great, he can kick with exceptional penetration which is super rare for a ruck and something to work with
  • Ready-made RE: his body
  • Excellent ruckwork at stoppages around the ground due to his strength
  • Composure and decision making by hand is very good for a ruck

Negatives
  • Kicking; dump kicks often just to get the ball moving forward
  • Doesn't hit the scoreboard
  • Chest marks way too often
  • Lacks a leap so can imagine he'll get beat at centre bounces more often than not
  • Doesn't offer too much around the ground at the moment

Goldstein is a polished/finesse-type ruck with excellent tap work and foot-skills, but has always lacked a little with aggression and defensive efforts due to not being the strongest - does spread well though for a ruck which allows him to impact on the attacking end. Free is the total opposite - a real aggressive ruck who's strong and plays old-school simple footy and does most of his work at the contest. Think Mumford or Ivan Maric stylistically rather than Goldstein, Tim English or Marshall who are all quite different rucks.

Not sure whether he makes it but he's worth a rookie spot to see what comes of him. At the very worst, we're getting ourselves a mature ruck for the VFL who will protect and provide for the younger blokes and give 100% with his efforts.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After being taken by North Melbourne at pick #19 in the Rookie Darft, it has been a whirlwind for former Souths Ruckman Hamish Free.

He was on a plane to Melbourne within days and training under the tutalage of one of the most successful coaches in AFL history.

Hamish took some time out of his busy schedule to sit down and answer a few questions about his journey with the Kangaroos so far.

South Fremantle are extremely proud of what Hamish has acheived and we look forward to seeing him perform at the highest level!

Question #1: Did you have any idea how the draft would go?

Not really. I spoke with North the Friday before, and they mentioned they would offer to have me train with them during January.

was very surprised when Vando (his Manager) called to say "Congratulations, you've been drafted to North Melbourne."

Question #2: How has the welcome been from North Melbourne? Did you receive a few nice messages from the squad?

Everyone has been very welcoming here at North Melbourne.

I got a call from Clarko straight away and had most of the players and coaches sent a text or made a phone call welcoming me and saying congratulations.

Question #3: How quick was the turn around from being called in the draft to then onto a plane and training at the Kangaroos?

Pretty quick, found out Wednesday lunch and first thing Friday I was on a plane over there and into the system.

Question #4: What does the next few weeks look like for you? Will you be coming back to Perth for Christmas and then back over there in the New Year?

We finish up on December 16th and I'll come home for Christmas and New Year.

On the 5th of January my partner Ella and I will head over with all of our stuff and fully move in to Melbourne life.

Question #5: How does Alistair Clarkson's coaching style differ from Todd Curley's? Are you noticing similarities or differences?

Might be too early to judge as still in the honeymoon phase with Clarko, but both very good coaches and support their players.

Back