Player Watch #45: Hamish Free - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I was right behind this piece of play (and obviously you LL) as I'd dropped by for half an hour at training. Right after this gather, Hamish executed a perfect bounce handball under his opponent (I believe it was Arch again) to a team-mate running into the goal square for a goal.
Very clever play from the big man. He's got some tricks.
Hamish Free = Hans

I was right behind this piece of play (and obviously you LL) as I'd dropped by for half an hour at training. Right after this gather, Hamish executed a perfect bounce handball under his opponent (I believe it was Arch again) to a team-mate running into the goal square for a goal.
Very clever play from the big man. He's got some tricks.

It was Arch, and yes Hamish did well but I was more impressed with Arch making it very difficult for him considering the size difference.

Okay so I only saw half an hour of him, but this guy looks a million times more of a natural ruck than X to me. Remains to be seen what he can consistently deliver around the ground, but for a rookie pick from the WAFL, he had a good feeling about him for me.

Discuss.

I remember the melt when he was selected. Already he’s shown that our ruck stocks bar Goldy, need a lot of work before we have a clear succession plan.

Absolutely. X is no guarantee, CCJ is let's face it, a forward and Edwards might be more of a forward too.

This guy had good positioning, and a more than good enough tap radar for a bloke playing his first game at AFL level. Did some nice things around the ground too.

May all of our draft busts look this good. Amen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so I only saw half an hour of him, but this guy looks a million times more of a natural ruck than X to me. Remains to be seen what he can consistently deliver around the ground, but for a rookie pick from the WAFL, he had a good feeling about him for me.

Discuss.

I watched him closely at a few boundary throw ins and he holds his ground really well and has quite a deft touch with his hitouts. Doesn’t look overly athletic in the centre bounces which could be an issues with opposition rucks that can jump, but X has the exact same problem. Free probably matches X with his follow up work and ability to throw his weight around.

Despite X not being a good kick or a fantastic mover I think he has Free covered. I’ve only seen a dozen or so kicks but Free looks cumbersome at best. In fact he doesn’t look like he has played the game for very long with the way he disposes of the footy. He may get better over time, but we are going to see a fair drop in his disposal standards for our rucks once Goldy hangs them up.

I watched him closely at a few boundary throw ins and he holds his ground really well and has quite a deft touch with his hitouts. Doesn’t look overly athletic in the centre bounces which could be an issues with opposition rucks that can jump, but X has the exact same problem. Free probably matches X with his follow up work and ability to throw his weight around.

Despite X not being a good kick or a fantastic mover I think he has Free covered. I’ve only seen a dozen or so kicks but Free looks cumbersome at best. In fact he doesn’t look like he has played the game for very long with the way he disposes of the footy. He may get better over time, but we are going to see a fair drop in his disposal standards for our rucks once Goldy hangs them up.

On the Goldstein tangent, I feel like we never really worked out how to get full value out of his skillset over most of his career.

As for Hamish Free, traditionally these big lumps have been quite effective in finals.

Whilst Xerri has him covered for skill (and Xerri is hardly Michael Jordan himself), Free looks like the sort of brute who could clear the path in a final. Plus against the odds so far (small sample) he seems to hit the scoreboard.

Whilst Xerri has him covered for skill (and Xerri is hardly Michael Jordan himself), Free looks like the sort of brute who could clear the path in a final.
Most who actually watched him play say Jordan’s ruckwork was the weakest part of his game.

MJ would read that and seethe. Even though he doesn't know what ruckwork is.
“And in 96, when Clyde Drexler was named best AFL ruck in the Eastern Conference…”
Take It Personally Michael Jordan GIF

How about ‘The Big Easy’?
He’s chiilled.
Free and Easy
He’s a big

Or ‘The emancipator’?
He never met a stoppage he couldn’t free.

‘Free minus three’
Time zone joke. From Perth

Or, if people really like obvious ones.
How about ‘Hame-o’?
It’s half his name, but with an ‘o’ at the end. Just an example of some of the laughs we have around here.

david brent television GIF

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back