Delisted 45. Joel Hamling (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

We now have a collection of some pretty young , tall athletic types - Blicavs , Murdoch , Hamling , Brown , Vardy .
The game is a changin'..........

Throw Walker in with them 3rd in the cycling time trial at Falls and always at the pointy end in the running, not bad for a guy close to 2mts.
I like the option of these taller types with speed and endurance.

Throw Walker in with them 3rd in the cycling time trial at Falls and always at the pointy end in the running, not bad for a guy close to 2mts.
I like the option of these taller types with speed and endurance.
Thanks Meto , my bad , forgot about Walker and I agree plenty of potential upside..
The futures so bright we are going to need shades.....

Hamling was very good against Sandy in the VFL today. He has the ability to out jump his opponent from a standing position. I had him down for 5 goals 1. Whereas, on the other end of the scale Barham kicked 5 behinds.

yeh he's a talent for sure.
First time I saw him up close and was very impressed.

Tough kid, he puts his body on the line against relatively older/stronger players and in 5 years time, this one could be a seriously special player.
Played in the WAFL last year which is a top league in itself so he's got the right pedigree in him :thumbsu:

How's this bloke tracking, anyone able to shed some light? Any chance he'll make his debut this year? I expect him to debut and play about 3 games, mainly against weaker clubs to give Lonergan a rest. 2015 though, he'd have to play 10+ games one would think?

How's this bloke tracking, anyone able to shed some light? Any chance he'll make his debut this year? I expect him to debut and play about 3 games, mainly against weaker clubs to give Lonergan a rest. 2015 though, he'd have to play 10+ games one would think?

Might struggle this year SC , good chance for 2014 but;)

If he can continue his progress in the weights room , has a good chance . He more talented than some guys in our side now , he just needs a body that can stand AFL

Might struggle this year SC , good chance for 2014 but;)

If he can continue his progress in the weights room , has a good chance . He more talented than some guys in our side now , he just needs a body that can stand AFL
Yeah, yeah.. you knew what I meant! I even read my post afterwards and thought "nah, no one's going to pick up on that" so I didn't bother editing. But more props to you psi-cat! :thumbsu: :p

Hopefully he makes his debut sometime next year. I'm curious to see this young man touted as a very talented player show his wares.

Yeah, yeah.. you knew what I meant! I even read my post afterwards and thought "nah, no one's going to pick up on that" so I didn't bother editing. But more props to you psi-cat! :thumbsu: :p

Hopefully he makes his debut sometime next year. I'm curious to see this young man touted as a very talented player show his wares.

Just a bit fun ... done it myself. Its a mental thing to be thinking 2014 this time of year even though we are a few weeks short.
I do look forward to seeing him play a KPB in the VFL and show some strength as well as the skill that has been there from day 1.

But here is the question , who do we see playing KPB? Sully is apparently coming back , we have Hamling , Brown , Toohey and now Fort has been linked with our VFL side.
Should Brown would be concerned with all this height look to play deep in D?

Just a bit fun ... done it myself. Its a mental thing to be thinking 2014 this time of year even though we are a few weeks short.
I do look forward to seeing him play a KPB in the VFL and show some strength as well as the skill that has been there from day 1.

But here is the question , who do we see playing KPB? Sully is apparently coming back , we have Hamling , Brown , Toohey and now Fort has been linked with our VFL side.
Should Brown would be concerned with all this height look to play deep in D?

I think Brown needs to be concerned even if the team was full of 180 cm mids. He just can't get a run. that said, it is his time now and if he's gonna make it stick, in the words of Obi Wan - "if you have Warriors Mitch Brown, now is the time!"

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would ideally see Hamling play a greater role in 2014 in the VFL. Another pre-season should see another 2-3 kgs on the frame.

If he gets a senior game I would be a bit surprised as he looked a bit of a project player when he was picked up in the ND. We also have Rivers and Brown as the third tall backman role.

AS far as Brown goes another uninterrupted pre-season should see him at a decent weight and be quite competitive with Rivers for that 3 rd bakman role. He has the height, now the weight, nice kick and a good pair of hands - just needs a bit more confidence in the body and a bit more agro at the ball.

May even end up forward on occasions if Hawk has issues.

Just a guess but I think he could still be a senior player - maybe a 50/50 chance. He just needs to play 5-6 good VFL games and come into the senior side with some good form and do a decent job. No one expects him to be a star. Hope he gets a chance and plays more than 1-2 senior games in a row - if his VFL warrants it.

No doubt if he fails to impress would be on the trade/delist at the end of the season. But given GFC signed him for 2 years last contract they must see something in him - but that point is negated by his lack of senior games when Rivers was out with injury. That is why I am 50/50 on him presently.

Good luck to both he and Hamling for 2014.

massive vertical leap on him, always helps to have that specific athletic quality. 194-195cm and certainly doesn't move like that as he's very agile.

Like you say rabbi, I think we see him play a multitude of roles in VFL, I'd like to see him up forward too so it's good we have a number of options for the meantime in Kersten, Vardy, Hamling, Walker or Brown who looks far more comfortable forward than defending.

massive vertical leap on him, always helps to have that specific athletic quality. 194-195cm and certainly doesn't move like that as he's very agile.

Like you say rabbi, I think we see him play a multitude of roles in VFL, I'd like to see him up forward too so it's good we have a number of options for the meantime in Kersten, Vardy, Hamling, Walker or Brown who looks far more comfortable forward than defending.

Last edited:
I'll say it now rabbi....Hamling would be a better option than Brown at CHF
th_shhh.gif

th_shhh.gif

And your reasons are??

I think that there will be quite a few here on BF who would be saying to themselves , "It is one thing to say that, it is another to give substantial reasons why".
Partridge comes to mind.

Here's some recent highlights of young Cat on the rise. . . Joel Hamling

You still have not giving me your reasons for this post below.

Bobby_ said:
th_shhh.gif

But I think that the kid will be very good if he can put about another 7 Kgs on.

You still have not giving me your reasons for this post below.

But I think that the kid will be very good if he can put about another 7 Kgs on.
He seems quite a bit bigger than last year, rabbi- do you know how much weight he put on over the past 12 months? Like Brown, he looks a lot thicker in the legs, for starters- and Brown has taken 5 years to get to that stage!

Re: 2011 National Draft selection No. 32 - Joel Hamling

I'm wary of judging a player just off a short clip, but there's a lot of Mitch Brown in his superior reading of the ball in flight compared to those around him. Wells likes this in his defenders so I'm not surprised they plan to turn him into one. Combine that with his clear top end speed and real athleticism and we've got a very very good development project to work with.

The real issue will be putting the weight on him without his body getting too many injuries, so he's a very long term prospect, but I like the choice.

there was alot of mitch brown in hamling,
well picked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back