Past #45: Oscar Junker - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

What is it with Richmond supporters being experts on our reserves players?

Anyway, I like the raw material I see in Oscar, but I fear he may be at least 2 more years away from being an AFL player.

Also, as a player type, he really is a bit of a luxury considering the gaping hole we have on our list in regards to speed.

Would definitely like to see him retained on our VFL list if he has to make way. He has ability and he's very honest.

Anyway, I like the raw material I see in Oscar, but I fear he may be at least 2 more years away from being an AFL player.

Also, as a player type, he really is a bit of a luxury considering the gaping hole we have on our list in regards to speed.

Would definitely like to see him retained on our VFL list if he has to make way. He has ability and he's very honest.
Supporters of the incumbent Premiers immediately become experts on list builds and talent. The Dogs supporters were insufferable on here after 2016.

I'm not saying I'm an expert but I've watched most games the past two years so I'm pretty up with it all.

Isnt the whole point of the rookie list to develop someone who has the talent but isnt quite ready yet?

I'm not saying I'm an expert but I've watched most games the past two years so I'm pretty up with it all.

Isnt the whole point of the rookie list to develop someone who has the talent but isnt quite ready yet?

Yes, but that would apply to every single rookie that has ever been drafted.

I have no qualms if we retain Oscar, as I think he can be a player, but he does not fill the massive hole we currently have on our list in regards to his strengths.

Yes, but that would apply to every single rookie that has ever been drafted.

I have no qualms if we retain Oscar, as I think he can be a player, but he does not fill the massive hole we currently have on our list in regards to his strengths.
So he's on the rookie list and you think he can make it as an AFL player but you think he should go? It's not as if he's taking up a senior list spot.

You're misconstruing my comments.

You appear to be too emotionally connected to this outcome.
Haha mate of course I'm emotionally connected, he is my brother.
I just think he deserves to be able to atleast get a full pre season under his belt and then judge him.
He's 194cm and effectively it's his 1st year because of the broken leg last year. A disrupted pre season aswell, I think he'd be stiff to get the flick.

With our penchant for recruiting brothers it's odds on the KavanaDeBanana Megathread will kick off shortly.

How's your bro feeling about his situation BTW?

He doesn't get much of it, but god he looks clean when he does, moves incredibly well in traffic, uses it well and can play anywhere. Is a pretty unique prospect at 194cm as well, id be giving him another year to start finding more of the ball as he could be anything if he can bring that to his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still believe his best position is across half back where he can utilise his excellent overhead marking.

The raw ingredients are there and I hope he gets another year. That broken leg curtailed his development last year.
I agree re the half backline, as an intercept/rebound player.
His pre season was with the midfielders, he then played 1 game there and was moved forward for the rest of the year but I think he needs to play back.

I agree re the half backline, as an intercept/rebound player.
His pre season was with the midfielders, he then played 1 game there and was moved forward for the rest of the year but I think he needs to play back.

I watched a fair bit of Junks at the western jets in his junior years. Played as a bit of a Mr.Fixit there but always looked very capable across half back. The best games I seen him play were there. Remember one game against (maybe Sandy?) when he took 5-6 really strong intercept marks drifting across the front of the packs.

Reminded me a bit of Lachie Hansen with his courage

I watched a fair bit of Junks at the western jets in his junior years. Played as a bit of a Mr.Fixit there but always looked very capable across half back. The best games I seen him play were there. Remember one game against (maybe Sandy?) when he took 5-6 really strong intercept marks drifting across the front of the packs.

Reminded me a bit of Lachie Hansen with his courage
A better user of the ball and has the ability to at least look interested.

I just think he deserves to be able to atleast get a full pre season under his belt and then judge him.
He's 194cm and effectively it's his 1st year because of the broken leg last year. A disrupted pre season aswell, I think he'd be stiff to get the flick.

Welcome.

I have seen him, judged him, and have commented that I see the potential in him as a player.

In fact, I don't reckon we have many players on the list that can't make it as AFL players, it's just that we have so many similiar types, and our list is out of whack.

Just have a look at our key defensive stocks, Tarrant & Thompson have been in AA class for much of the year and Majak has started to finally deliver big time as a KPD type also. The downside is we have McKay, Nielsen & Durdin all playing KPD in the VFL, who would be starting 22 at several other AFL clubs.

Look at Braydon Preuss, he'd be the starting ruck at 8 other AFL sides right now.

There are going to be a few unfortunate blokes that will have to make way for a desperate injection of speed that the list requires urgently. Oscar Unfortunately fits in to that category. He isn't quick and plays as a utility in a club overflowing with KPP's & utility types.

If Oscar get's a new contract, then good for him, I'll certainly be barracking for him.

Last edited:
Never works out well for OJ

xKn-bq4epB2OlxGMsmxIzjkyLQ0woHH2huFgp9kKnW3InMVw6prMjADB5qWDsnALi2z4dyqnkZHCK61JTi0B9ll_2HLhSuY2DW0MPjvw=w525-h280-nc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back