Player Watch #45: Patrick Naish - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I am one of a few that don't believe in size matters in footy. You can still be small and go in like a mad man possessed and win the ball.

Exhibit A Baker
Exhibit B Bolton
Exhibit C Edwards to an extent.

Size doesn't matter in footy. What the...strongly disagree.

If you saw those 3 players stand next to Naish you would see the frame of men vs the frame of a boy.

I think it's a combination of both with Naish. He lacks the frame for the level combined with a soft attitude of avoiding contests.

Size doesn't matter in footy. What the...strongly disagree.

If you saw those 3 players stand next to Naish you would see the frame of men vs the frame of a boy.

I think it's a combination of both with Naish. He lacks the frame for the level combined with a soft attitude of avoiding contests.

He was always going to take a few years to put on size until he was ready at AFL level. similar to RCD in that fact!
We need both these players pushing the door down this year to be a genuine top 4 side

He was always going to take a few years to put on size until he was ready at AFL level. similar to RCD in that fact!
We need both these players pushing the door down this year to be a genuine top 4 side
It feels like everyone who joined the club after him has caught up with Naish. And lots of competition for a spot in the 22. I can't see Patty making it with Richmond.

It feels like everyone who joined the club after him has caught up with Naish. And lots of competition for a spot in the 22. I can't see Patty making it with Richmond.

'smalls' younger than naish atm: on the Richmond senior list.

(New)rioli.
Ralphsmith.
Dow.

Martyn.
Cumberland.
Ross.

stack.
dawkins.

Agree. His kicking is excellent but at his size and being very outside he needs to be able to break the lines if he’s going to make it and he ain’t fast.

In the few games he's played I didn't think he looked out of his depth at all. Wasn't gangbusters but he stepped in and was composed and used the footy well. Have been waiting for him to bulk up ever since and it looks like it's a combination of genes and a strange aversion to lifting weights that's holding him back.
You look at Dow, young kid has a naturally skinny frame but you can tell he's putting in the effort to add some muscle to it. Looks ripped and lean. Naish looks like he'd struggle to peel a banana.

How bad must this kid be going that Egg gets picked ahead of him?

Has he ever discussed why he doesn't get a game on his podcast?
Callum Twomey was touting him as a top 15 pick in his draft year when everybody i know and spoke with all said 3rd rounder

But i must say when i spoke with the kid after he was drafted he would have been lucky to be 65kgs ringing wet and he was wearing a Richmond polo and i could see his arms and seriously my daughter had bigger biceps.

He would most likely be physically ready this year to get games and seems like a smart kid that would understand game plan and structures but like others he would have suffered from no VFL last year. I personally think he lacks pace to make it in the role he plays

Hoping he can put it together when he steps up to afl looks very average maybe needs a run of games.

From the Richmond VFL Twitter:

Key stats v Collingwood:
P. Naish: 39 D, 15 HR, 8 i50, 6 R50, 5 SA

Surely replaces the Egg.
Deserves to get picked based on that effort, but coming in vs Port is a tough ask
I imagine it will be Houli coming in first to take Egg's spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking at Naish move in the last quarter I see a strong resemblence to Cotchin.

To me thats a sign for Patrick to muscle up and get stronger to compete better. He may not end up as an inside mid but I think his movement indicates to become a better player he needs to beef up like Cotchin.

If he gets stronger he becomes more formidable with more strings to his bow and that means he is stronger in contests and as an option for his teammates meaning he attracts more ball naturally

Any chance Naish gets rewarded. BOG two weeks on the trot kicking goals whilst playing primarily as a hbf. Time to drop repeat non performers and promote those who earnt it. We're going back to the old days where spuds like Jake King, Steve Morris, Taylor Hunt, Chris Newman (in his last few years when he was bloody ordinary) are played week in week out whilst stinking up the joint and the blokes like McDonaugh, McBean who are dominating in the Magoo's can't get a lookin cos they're not the coaches love child's. I'm envious of how bevo doesn't care who you are or your past reputation if you're not playing well you're dropped.

Any chance Naish gets rewarded. BOG two weeks on the trot kicking goals whilst playing primarily as a hbf. Time to drop repeat non performers and promote those who earnt it. We're going back to the old days where spuds like Jake King, Steve Morris, Taylor Hunt, Chris Newman (in his last few years when he was bloody ordinary) are played week in week out whilst stinking up the joint and the blokes like McDonaugh, McBean who are dominating in the Magoo's can't get a lookin cos they're not the coaches love child's. I'm envious of how bevo doesn't care who you are or your past reputation if you're not playing well you're dropped.
Deserves another crack for sure.

If Naish cant get a game this week then i will be exceptionally jaded.If he and RCD still cant get a game, then I am not sure why Dimma signed till the end of 2024, as he is acting and selecting players like 2021 or 22 will be his final season here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back