Past #45: Red Óg Murphy - RIP - Murphy has passed away in Dublin aged 21 (April 2022)

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's probably pissed off because the club can't get an interview with him without making fun of his accent :drunk:

As an irishman this frustrates me. Breeding a bunch of wimps now up there it seems. Sign for 2 years at least fulfill the contract and say you've given it a red hot crack. Instead you go home with your tail between your legs after 1...

At the very least you learn what it's like to work with world-class professionals vs. the one's in ireland. All of their coaches are the equivalent to our Auskick dads.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
If we ever sign another Irishman, how about we ease up on the cheap, demeaning gags about their accent next time round?

Attention is best focused on the US though if we want the "free hits" on international talent imo. The Irish are much more immediately adapted and suited to our game but seem to be mentally fragile in sticking it out.

My recollections are that every listed US player has not only stuck it out but displayed a very "American" willingness to back themselves and do everything to claw for success - Holmes, Wallace, Cox.. that other Collingwood bloke too seemed very driven trying to make it (name escapes me).

The strikerate might be low right now but there could be better facsimilies of Mason Cox out there (no sarcasm please). It'll only take 1x or 2x 205cm talented and athletic ex-College basketballers or American footballers to break through and every club will be mining that market for opportunities.

Plus the US guys typically come from a comprehensive and respectful system where they're completely devoted to their athletic development.

Irish people have been coming to Australia for a couple of hundred years and plenty have stayed, including me. Yeah, there’s a “pull home” factor with some. However, we seem to be singularly bad at selecting the guys with the “right stuff”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Irish people have been coming to Australia for a couple of hundred years and plenty have stayed, including me. Yeah, there’s a “pull home” factor with some. However, we seem to be singularly bad at selecting the guys with the “right stuff”.

Hang on, you're not Venezuelan? <Mrs Costanza "she's not Chinese? the deal's off".gif>

We have to be clear - we're speaking about Irish athletes aged 18-22 emigrating alone specifically. I'm sure families who pack up their lives handle it differently or individuals with more life experience.

I find it surprising as there would be so many Irish athletes who need to emigrate to pursue soccer careers (disproportionately with Celtic as you'd know) so I'd have thought they'd be more open to the experience/adventure. But facts are that a high number of these kids seem to chuck it in mid-contract and return to Ireland. Probably more a vote of their strong family units that don't like to be broken up than the respective lifestyles between the locations.

Don't know if the interviews had anything to do with it, but I highly doubt it. More importantly, he probably wasn't up to it, as has been the case with all our Irish recruits, while other clubs seem to be finding gems in Ireland. Not sure why we haven't come close to finding a player similar to Essendon's McKenna.

Hang on, you're not Venezuelan?

We have to be clear - we're speaking about Irish athletes aged 18-22 emigrating alone specifically. I'm sure families who pack up their lives handle it differently or individuals with more life experience.

I find it surprising as there would be so many Irish athletes who need to emigrate to pursue soccer careers (disproportionately with Celtic as you'd know) so I'd have thought they'd be more open to the experience/adventure. But facts are that a high number of these kids seem to chuck it in mid-contract and return to Ireland. Probably more a vote of their strong family units that don't like to be broken up than the respective lifestyles between the locations.

Venezuelan wife, KC. Zach Tuohy’s family live 200 metres from me back home. We couldn’t even pick the right Laoisman - we took Conor Meredith, instead.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Venezuelan wife, KC. Zach Tuohy’s family live 200 metres from me back home. We couldn’t even pick the right Laoisman - we took Conor Meredith, instead.

Fwiw he was a really nice lad.

And actually stuck it out iirc.

I could never figure out why we haven't had any lads of Vietnamese heritage come through anywhere in VFL / AFL.

It's really strange that there's so few Asians in the AFL, given they make up around 15% of our population, from memory.

I could never figure out why we haven't had any lads of Vietnamese heritage come through anywhere in VFL / AFL.

The AFL probably lack trust in the commentators to do the right thing with names like Phuc Dung.

The AFL probably lack trust in the commentators to do the right thing with names like Phuc Dung.
Heaven forbid Wun Bung Leg ever did an ACL 🙃

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Most famous being Les Fong from W.A. Good footballer.
Remember Crows had a guy a few years ago. Thai mum - Aussie dad played a few games.

Belly
Lin Jong
North had one many years ago.

Others ?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Belly
Lin Jong
North had one many years ago.

The mighty Les Kew Ming.

Played on a half back flank for North in 1922-23.

It's really strange that there's so few Asians in the AFL, given they make up around 15% of our population, from memory.

Education is the priority in their schooling years, not sport.

On Red Og, taking a guy from Sligo was laden with risk of go home. They think Dublin is the big smoke.

The kids who do best are from the north or Dublin and its surrounds.

Tadgh Kennelly the outlier there in that he's a Kerryman - and even he went home for a bit too.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On Red Og, taking a guy from Sligo was laden with risk of go home. They think Dublin is the big smoke.

The kids who do best are from the north or Dublin and its surrounds.

Tadgh Kennelly the outlier there in that he's a Kerryman - and even he went home for a bit too.

walked into the ******* wrong pub in Sligo many years ago, a couple of young guys looked at an older gentleman and he shook his head. The quickest beer I've ever had in my life.

Also sat on the pier where they blew the * out of Lord Mountbatten and had another beer , but was much more peaceful.

walked into the ******* wrong pub in Sligo many years ago, a couple of young guys looked at an older gentleman and he shook his head. The quickest beer I've ever had in my life.

Also sat on the pier where they blew the fu** out of Lord Mountbatten and had another beer , but was much more peaceful.

Yeah, Sligo is a place unto itself - taking a kid at 18 out of there to the other side of the world was always laden with risk

(Is 40 year anniversary of Mountbatten bombing today. Interesting that many in the IRA disapproved of it, especially the kids being killed, some of the senior staff called it a "war crime". Blowing 18 paras up in Warrenpoint a few hours later was the more impressive achievement. That is taught by US and UK military as the textbook guerilla ambush, especially the secondary bomb)

Yeah, Sligo is a place unto itself - taking a kid at 18 out of there to the other side of the world was always laden with risk

(Is 40 year anniversary of Mountbatten bombing today. Interesting that many in the IRA disapproved of it, especially the kids being killed, some of the senior staff called it a "war crime". Blowing 18 paras up in Warrenpoint a few hours later was the more impressive achievement. That is taught by US and UK military as the textbook guerilla ambush, especially the secondary bomb)

yep

Back