Player Watch #45: Red Óg Murphy - signed with NM as a Cat B rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heaps of fun

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very exciting. Looks like a complete natural and I like how serious he is about making it.

Other thing I noticed from that clip is that Tarryn Thomas is gonna be a beast. Looks like he could fill out like Adam Goodes.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #83
Very exciting. Looks like a complete natural and I like how serious he is about making it.

Other thing I noticed from that clip is that Tarryn Thomas is gonna be a beast. Looks like he could fill out like Adam Goodes.
Careful Padawan.

Believe it or not there were calls of Matthew Pavlich made in Luke McDonald's U16 year.

Groin guru

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Always amazed at how people late to the game look more natural than those that have played for 20 years. Looks like we could finally have our own fast Irishman out of the back half that has a good skill set. I know he's a forward but that is where the irish always seem to end up.

Heaps of fun

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Careful Padawan.

Believe it or not there were calls of Matthew Pavlich made in Luke McDonald's U16 year.
I take solace in that Luke's development so far has been that uniquely disappointing it is unlikely to be repeated.

I mean if you ignore all our other first round picks that never pushed past the average-good level...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #87
Also, did we REALLY need to subtitle him?
It's offensive actually. Was it meant to be funny or somehow a community service?

I look forward to all other videos featuring non-Australian accented English speakers to be subtitled too then. First stop, Huddle participants.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's offensive actually. Was it meant to be funny or somehow a community service?

I look forward to all other videos featuring non-Australian accented English speakers to be subtitled too then. First stop, Huddle participants.
They subtitle Aboriginal folks a fair bit on SBS/ABC too.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #90
They subtitle Aboriginal folks a fair bit on SBS/ABC too.
Yeh that can be a little tasteless sometimes. I've heard it justified as making the content clearer to non-native English speakers.

Was unaware that NMFC media ran on SBS guidelines though and only deem young Irish blokes as being unintelligible.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #94
The Irish players are interesting in the Gaelic is a sport that really rewards burst speed and agility, but also requires considerable endurance.
Their running ability and agility is usually top notch. Even in the stupid hybrid games their often part time blokes usually at least match us (if not exceed us) in the running stakes.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Their running ability and agility is usually top notch. Even in the stupid hybrid games their often part time blokes usually at least match us (if not exceed us) in the running stakes.
Yep, they are all about the change of direction at full pace - turning blokes inside out is also a standard skill for GAA players, especially forwards.

As in run onto a long ball with someone right on your hammer, take possesion and turn them inside out to give yourself the second of space to cuerl an over across the body or over the shoulder. This is stuff Red Og will have been doing almost instinctively since he was 10-11.

Thing is this skill can be turned into a devastating tactic, especially when combined with the great kicking skills many of the Irish fellas boast, in the half back line.

Conor McKenna, Tadgh Kennelly, Zach Tuohy, all of them use this very well, and it is something we lack.

Hootini

Team Captain
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Touche.

The background noise in that clip seemed the major justification for the sub-titles though. They weren't standing in a perfect recording setting at Arden Street.
Also true, but i think your point about the audience is probably the biggest factor. Or hopefully it is, cause otherwise it is a bit off.

Jabba the Trump

All Australian
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That left foot kick is a unique style with the opposite arm above his head. Looks very balanced though. I wonder what sort of distance he gets on his kicks.

Top Bottom