• 6.0 tackles
  • 17.5 hitouts
  • 0.5 inside 50s
  • 0.3 rebound 50s
  • 1.0 frees for
  • 0.8 frees against
  • 73.25 DT points
PQwgkbh.png

BUT...will he play seniors thats the question? I cant see it happening. Would rather play Buzza instead.

No idea.
Injuries are always a factor in any given season, a lot of ruckmen earn decent money by being 'insurance' and not much more.
I liked Neil Balme's comment a couple of years ago that club's always seem to have too many or too few ruckmen on their list. But with Vardy going - who, to be honest, wasn't a ruckman's bunghole - then a positional replacement was probably necessary - I don't know where Abbott rates against comparable available ruckmen around the country, but from the little I have seen, he is ok and I've seen way worse big men play at AFL level.

Dunno where Buzza will end up to be honest, I reckon he is years away.

Or Big Orren Stevenson...

GO Catters

Pods was taken at 27 going on 28 and Orren 29 going on 30, Abbott is 25 and rucks tend to mature late.

At least Smith has some competition for his spot now.

Do mature age recruits get 2 year deals as well

When you are over 18 it's not compulsory so it can be one year if the club decides. So Menegola House Abbott etc could have been given 1 year deals (Orren Stephenson was).

1. Hate to gloat but have to on this occasion, posted on Oct 1.

Another who may be worth a look is Ryan Abbot. I only saw him play one game, and he didn't play many, but I think he has potential. A mobile ruckman who can take a grab up forward. We need more than Vardy as a back up ruckman and I think he may be a chance as a rookie selection. Must be close to 200 cm, 23/24 years old .... coming into his prime. Has improved every year at Grovedale, was a late starter into afl after coming from a basketball background.

chris9753, Oct 1, 2016Report
    Pure_Ownage likes this.

gloat away... good pickup

A few naysayers in this thread, and they may well be proven right, but I actually liked what I saw of Abbot in the VFL this year - I mixed him up with House quite a bit during when they played together - handy overhead, and competitive in the ruck. That's already an upgrade on say Nathan Vardy, imo.

He is 26 which usually means a mature body that means he probably could play if they need to , but is Abott this?

Well , I think we need to take a breath and back the club. The club would have seen him up close and would have been able to compare him to Lucey and Read. In truth , he is not likely to be a selection option in front of Smith or Stanley.. they only question will be is he really a selection option if we need him. Time will tell..and having him on the list doesn't impede us from selecting a young Rookie if we want , another Cat B type perhaps

Lol at people who sulk and rant over a pick 69... I mean naturally we should have taken one of the top rated superstars still available then :rolleyes:

Fwiw reading the Addy my feeling is that we have been hiding him... time will tell, if he makes it he is the outlier not the norm for picks that late.. just remember that

Lol at people who sulk and rant over a pick 69... I mean naturally we should have taken one of the top rated superstars still available then :rolleyes:

Fwiw reading the Addy my feeling is that we have been hiding him... time will tell, if he makes it he is the outlier not the norm for picks that late.. just remember that

I was told today that they put him away after the late season VFL game where he was super impressive.

I was told today that they put him away after the late season VFL game where he was super impressive.
Nick Wade from the addy mentioned last night that they had private testing with him, he 'shot the lights out'
Word leaked out and they had to grab him in the draft as others were circling

That sounds as though he was originally planned to be a rookie pick

Given how well they did with Menegola at 66 and Ruggles as a rookie last year I will back them in on this one even though it doesn't make a lot of tactical sense to me.

Dont think it's complicated. We need a ruckman who can play immediately in case Stanley or Smith are injured. They've had a look and think he's the most likely. We can't afford project players or injuries ruckman.
In the one game, I saw of him, it was his second efforts that impressed me. Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post

God forbid those that are actually in control of the club's recruiting actually know what they are doing, have a plan and execute it.

Will I never....:rolleyes:

Go Catters

Hidden away by the club.

It does sound from the article where the club had him doing a screening test that they had been considering taking him for a while so yes he might have been hidden away a bit.

It does sound from the article where the club had him doing a screening test that they had been considering taking him for a while so yes he might have been hidden away a bit.
This and he didn't sound too surprised he was picked up either.

Was definitely hidden away. He's been the premier ruckman in the gfl for a few years now so it was always a surprise that he only played a handful of vfl games. The best thing about him besides his ruck work is that he has very good disposal for a big fella, watching him for years at Grovey he was as skilled by foot as the majority of midfielders. I think he may have a decent career for you guys

I remember watching him during Grovedale v Joeys in the GFL finals this year, he was absoutely dominant. Still, GFL to AFL is quite a jump. I can understand potentially hiding him, but he would have easily been available as a rookie selection. I nearly would have preferred Lebois. Hoping he is around at our pick in the RD.

I remember watching him during Grovedale v Joeys in the GFL finals this year, he was absoutely dominant. Still, GFL to AFL is quite a jump. I can understand potentially hiding him, but he would have easily been available as a rookie selection. I nearly would have preferred Lebois. Hoping he is around at our pick in the RD.

Rumour is there was a lot of interest in Abbott in the lead up to the draft and there's no guarantee he would have been there for the rookie draft.

AFL draft 2016: Grovedale ruckman Ryan Abbott blitzed testing, sparking interest from rival clubs

NICK WADE, Geelong Advertiser
November 28, 2016 1:55pm

YOU can’t keep too many things a secret in the AFL world these days.

Had Geelong not pulled the trigger on local ruckman Ryan Abott with its last pick in Friday night’s national draft, there is a suspicion he would have been poached by a rival club before the Cats’ first pick in today’s rookie draft.

This is a bloke who spent the bulk of his senior career out of the national spotlight in the Geelong Football League playing for Grovedale.

Abbott is understood to have recorded impressive results at a recent testing session but word of his potential filtered out, piquing the interest of a couple of clubs, one reportedly West Coast.

With the Cats having lost tall stocks Mitch Clark (delisted), Nathan Vardy (traded), Padraig Lucey (delisted) and Tom Read (delisted) in the off-season, recruiting boss Stephen Wells set about acquiring a ready-made body capable of playing next year.

Counting in the 25-year-old’s favour is the grounding he has had in Geelong’s VFL program, as well as his sustained form in the GFL where he was named ruckman of the season last year.

But places on senior lists are not handed out as a token gesture — the Cats genuinely believe Abbott’s attributes make him worth the punt.

“It’s a very strong competition,” Wells said of the GFL.

“He’s done well there, he’s an older ruckman and the reason we’ve chosen him over a young, developing ruckman is, if required, he’s more physically ready to go.”

It was a similar philosophy that led the Cats to taking Newtown & Chilwell swingman Timm House the pick before at 68.

The need for a player of House’s 194cm/95kg size intensified after Geelong also lost lead-up forward Shane Kersten in a busy transfer period.

At least two Melbourne clubs were also believed to have been sniffing around the 21-year-old, also potentially prompting the Cats to make their move late in the national draft.

“The attraction was we recognised he’s an outstanding mark,” Wells said.

“He’s the right age and stage to provide an option for us right and we’re very pleased to have called his name out.

“He won’t be the development or project type of the other key position players we might have selected.”

Abbott, who won Grovedale’s past two best-and-fairest awards, has been hailed as one of the most diligent players in local footy by the man who had a front-row seat to his emergence.

The 200cm athletic powerhouse played only four VFL matches this year but Wells and his recruiting team backed their conviction after quietly scouting the Tigers’ GFL matches this year.

Cynically it could be argued the Cats tried to hide him away, but he was more than likely held out of the side simply by the surplus of AFL big men the Cats were obligated to play ahead of him, such as Lucey, Vardy, Clark and Wylie Buzza.

If nothing, it is a major endorsement of the credentials of the GFL in a national sense.

“I am extremely proud and excited for Ryan in achieving his goal,” Tigers coach Craig McCaughan said.

“He has worked very hard both on and off the field to strengthen his game.

“He is one of the most dedicated players I have coached.

“Grovedale Football Club couldn’t be happier for him and wish him all the best for the next chapter of his career.”

Players often say a year in Geelong’s VFL program is the equivalent of spending the year on the club’s rookie list, such is how closely the two systems are aligned.

It helped Tom Ruggles slot seamlessly into AFL life this year after being rookie-listed this time last year after a stunning season across half back for the VFL Cats.

With Tom Stewart also joining the club from local ranks, Wells admitted it was “remarkable” to draft three players straight out of their own VFL system.

“But our recruiting team has worked very hard and scoured the country to try and find the players that would suit our needs, and it just so happened that the ones we’ve come up with this year happened to play in our VFL system,” he said.

Source.

Nick Wade from the addy mentioned last night that they had private testing with him, he 'shot the lights out'
Word leaked out and they had to grab him in the draft as others were circling

That sounds as though he was originally planned to be a rookie pick

when you say shot the lights out... are we talking vertical leap , 3k time trail , agility ..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back