Delisted 45. Ryan Abbott (2017 -2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, with Stanley, Smith, Blicavs then this guy, its ok depth. It appears the 4 rucks we have are pretty durable, touch wood. Worst case we have Buzza at 198cm just behind them. I'm quietly confident we have enough ruck depth.

Best of luck Abbott.

The more ice read the more it appears the cloak and dagger policy was applied to him.

Good on the club for doing their best to stash him away.
Quite happy for a speculative pick in the 60's to be spent on him goven the excitement the club expressed as pulling this off.

I beleive he tested very well.

I was skeptical when he was taken but it appears I was in the dark for good reason..

Go Catters

when you say shot the lights out... are we talking vertical leap , 3k time trail , agility ..?
I have no idea sorry mate... what I posted was pretty much all the info I saw on twitter as close to word for word as I could remember

Just watching the footage of him on the AFL draft site, he looks quite natural with the ball in hand, took some good contested marks. I was skeptical when I heard his name read out as I didn't know much about him, but it looks like he can pull his on weight at VFL level with no problems.

Just watching the footage of him on the AFL draft site, he looks quite natural with the ball in hand, took some good contested marks. I was skeptical when I heard his name read out as I didn't know much about him, but it looks like he can pull his on weight at VFL level with no problems.

Can I have a link please?

The opposition ruckmen in the last half of the highlights were Holmes (StK) and Spencer (ex Melb) I think.

Witts in the first few. I thought the highlights for him were quite good. It's not a case where they have cherry picked highlights from the whole year for that package, it is only from 4 or 5 games at VFL level. Rucks are a completely different ball game at AFL level though. For every Mummy or Ben Hudson there are plenty more Big O's, Hannath's, Giles etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker

You can view the video when you select National Draft, scroll down, click on Pick 69, Ryan Abbott.

Thanks for that...

Pretty sure... I was at the Pies VFL game. I remembered him once I saw the highlights. He moved well enough I was surprised at his height.. good at things over his head , kick was ordinary..but plenty of rucks are...he was not the worst id seen. My impression if the guys under his feet were better he would look better as well. Love to see his test results.

Witts in the first few. I thought the highlights for him were quite good. It's not a case where they have cherry picked highlights from the whole year for that package, it is only from 4 or 5 games at VFL level. Rucks are a completely different ball game at AFL level though. For every Mummy or Ben Hudson there are plenty more Big O's, Hannath's, Giles etc.
Big O could play. Murdered Hawks in one game and was quite competitive whilst injured against a double team of cox and Nic Nat. Niggling Injuries ruined his season at geelong. We should of kept him on longer. Would of been far better then anyone we had in the 2013 finals.

Finally got around to seeing his highlights. Looks like he has a good leap, gets some good hang time, which obviously helps with his strong marking.

Big O could play. Murdered Hawks in one game and was quite competitive whilst injured against a double team of cox and Nic Nat. Niggling Injuries ruined his season at geelong. We should of kept him on longer. Would of been far better then anyone we had in the 2013 finals.

played a cracking finals series in the VFL too.

played a cracking finals series in the VFL too.

His best game was the r19 2012 where we beat the hawks with hawkins goal after the siren, some of his tap ruckwork was sublime that night. The issue was we didnt have many players out of contract that year as we only took 2ND picks and no rookie picks so once we decided to bring mcintosh in (a mistake IMO) as stephenson was 30 and OOC he was always going to make way. Could play though.

Back to abbott i feel better about this pick being jn the ND after 12 ruck types being taken as rookies (14 if you count petrie and mccarthy as rucks), yes some were retreads like mckernan but it shows another club may have rookied abbott. I am not sure if he will make it at afl level but we definitely needed a backup ruck.

Back to abbott i feel better about this pick being jn the ND after 12 ruck types being taken as rookies (14 if you count petrie and mccarthy as rucks), yes some were retreads like mckernan but it shows another club may have rookied abbott. I am not sure if he will make it at afl level but we definitely needed a backup ruck.

He'll probably give us at least as much as Vardy did, perhaps a hell of a lot more. Its interesting that a couple of other clubs apparently had some interest in Abbott...and big guys mature later in footy terms....he might be a nice little pick up for us as a back up for our senior ruck men.

At your intuitive best here Pure. Only time will tell if he is free spin of the Wells draft wheel or he was a clever selection but there were plenty of sus ruck picks as you have noted.

I can't seem to get a clip to pop up do you need to do it on a pc? Is there an actual link? I've looked on YouTube for any clips and nothing there either.
I think you can only access it via a computer. The Draft tracker has a pop-up display of all the players selected at the National and Rookie Draft, and when you click on them you can view their highlights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back