Delisted 45. Ryan Abbott (2017 -2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

True. But pike had the athletic conditioning of professional sport. As did Blicavs. pods had also been training professionally for years before he played. This guy doesn't even have vfl level fitness. He is a local club footballer.

The kind of athletic conditioning that Rugby provides would be completely alien to that of football. I agree that he is no Podsiadly but he did spend the pre-season last year with our VFL group and given that he did play at VFL level last year and did a decent enough job for them to draft him I'm sure his fitness base would be at least up to VFL standard.

Last edited:
I must admit I haven't seen him play, either at local level or VFL level, but reading this thread has left me optimistic that the next Polly Farmer currently resides on our list so I'll keep a close watch.

I've seen Abbott play a couple of matches; hate to bring the pessimism but I doubt that he'll quite match Polly's feats - however, as insurance/back-up, he will be fine.
His career in the hoops will depend almost entirely on the fitness and to a lesser extent form of Zac Smith and Rhys Stanley.
If those two build on their 2017 output, he might never play a game for Geelong. If one or both were to go down with injury, he might suddenly be needed.

I really don't see the stress either way; we needed another ruckman on the list after the delisting/trading of Vardy, Clark, Lucey and Read.
I'm confident that Abbott would be more capable of filling in than Lucey or Read would have been had they been retained. Vardy and Clark weren't ruckman's bungholes.
Will he set the comp alight? No. Will he be an adequate replacement should Stanley or Smith go down? I think yes.

The games I saw him play in the VFL were very good at that level; he took some handy grabs and was agile for his height. I didn't expect him to get drafted as such, but then again I only saw very little of him.
I have few expectations either way but I hope he does well.

Do we have any stats that show our foot injuries are in anyway more significant than all the other clubs? If so Id hope that they are looking at the issue.
Who knows - just seems to be at least one every year but maybe it seems exaggerated as our focus is more on us. Still, with today's medical advances you would hope for a slow-down of these sorts of dangerous injuries. I have thought recently that cases of the dreaded osteitis pubis seem to have lessened so hopefully this sort of injury can also be gotten on top of.

Last edited:
Who knows - just seems to be at least one every year but maybe it seems exaggerated as our focus is more on us. Still, with today's medical advances you would hope for a slow-down of these sorts of dangerous injuries. I have thought recently that cases of the dreaded osteitis pubis seems to have lessened so hopefully this sort of injury can also be gotten on top of.
I think the osteitis pubis has now been diagnosed as cam impingements (hip injury) which can often express itself as groin pain. There was a period there where it felt like everyone was getting their hips done. Most famously Stevie J and Vardy.

No idea what's causing this foot problem. Feels like everyone for really careful about that area after Egans career ended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to improve around the ground, struggles to have an impact more often than not.

Have you seen much of him? He averaged 14 disposals in the VFL, which is pretty good for a ruckman especially since he was sharing the ruck at times.

He had two games of 20+ possessions, and in only four games he had less than 10 possessions (I dare say Stanley was probably playing in those games too).

Have you seen much of him? He averaged 14 disposals in the VFL, which is pretty good for a ruckman especially since he was sharing the ruck at times.

He had two games of 20+ possessions, and in only four games he had less than 10 possessions (I dare say Stanley was probably playing in those games too).
14 touches a game is nothing special, this is the VFL we are talking about, as an undersized mobile ruckman he needs to do more IMO.

14 touches a game is nothing special, this is the VFL we are talking about, as an undersized mobile ruckman he needs to do more IMO.

Sorry, but I can’t agree with that. If he replicated those numbers in the AFL then he’d be in the upper echelon. Also, if we remove the five games were he registered sub-10 disposals (9, 9, 8, 6, 3) then his average is bumped to almost 17 disposals per game. It’s easy to say that if he got promoted to the AFL his disposal count would drop, but that’s a logical fallacy. Also, at 200cm he is definitely not undersized, both Mumford and Goldstein are 198cm.

Rucks.png

Ryan ABBOTT
VFL stats

Stat | 2018 | 2017
\ Totals |
\Games|13|16
\Bests|6|5
\1st|1|1
\2nd|0|1
\3rd|1|0
\4th|0|2
\5th|2|0